Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Compressed Air Plumbing for Shop

Overkill.

Use air hose for the drops too.
very flexible, There is really no need for copper, or black pipe.
But hey it's your money, and your time.

On 5/19/2012 4:06 PM, RonB wrote:
On May 19, 12:05 pm, wrote:
Hmmm seems as though most everyone is assuming Sch 40 PCV pipe
not the hose sold specifically for air distribution.
Seems like black pipe, while adaptable for the task is
very difficult to work with and VERY difficult to easily
add additional ports in the future.

I am not going to use PVC. Black pipe was was pretty much my going-in
position when I started thinking about it and when I posted this. I
am not ruling out pipe but as I Googled around I found some
interesting approaches using regular air hose and shop made copper
terminations. This is one of them --
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...-with-air.aspx

No decision yet, but this has appeal. My shop is a 1,024 sf garage
that shares space with cars, but adequate. I use a french-cleat wall
rail system that allows me to move cabinets and racks pretty easily if
I want to change configuration of certain areas. The hose approach
seem flexible because you can change routing and add service points
fairly easily. Fabricating the individual copper service points might
be a little fiddly, but when made they can be used in different places
if I switch stuff around. Pipe - not so easy.

No decision yet but I'm kinda liking the hose system.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...9/15/plumb-you...

No decision yet, but this has appeal. * My shop is a 1,024 sf garage
that shares space with cars, *but adequate. *I use a french-cleat wall
rail system that allows me to move cabinets and racks pretty easily if
I want to change configuration of certain areas. *The hose approach
seem flexible because you can change routing and add service points
fairly easily. *Fabricating the individual copper service points might
be a little fiddly, but when made they can be used in different places
if I switch stuff around. * Pipe - not so easy.

No decision yet but I'm kinda liking the hose system.

Ron

I'm retired and this is my hobby shop is so time is not a real big
deal. But I am a retired tight-a**ed Irishman so money is a
consideration. I'm probably over-playing it, but the purpose-made
copper terminations look kinda classy considering everything else is
hose.

Well - maybe not classy :^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote in
:

I am not going to use PVC. Black pipe was was pretty much my going-in
position when I started thinking about it and when I posted this. I
am not ruling out pipe but as I Googled around I found some
interesting approaches using regular air hose and shop made copper
terminations. This is one of them --
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...15/plumb-your-
shop-with-air.aspx

No decision yet, but this has appeal. My shop is a 1,024 sf garage
that shares space with cars, but adequate. I use a french-cleat wall
rail system that allows me to move cabinets and racks pretty easily if
I want to change configuration of certain areas. The hose approach
seem flexible because you can change routing and add service points
fairly easily. Fabricating the individual copper service points might
be a little fiddly, but when made they can be used in different places
if I switch stuff around. Pipe - not so easy.

No decision yet but I'm kinda liking the hose system.

Ron

One thing I'd be looking at is making sure the hose connections are tight
and solid. Not only are air leaks annoying, but if a connection lets go
it not only makes a big noise, but the hose tends to go flying.

I've seen many hose clamps distort and break while trying to torque them
down, but it may be the quality of the clamp.

Please keep us updated, I've thought about doing the same thing,
especially since air hose is so much less expensive than pipe.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm retired and this is my hobby shop is so time is not a real big
deal. But I am a retired tight-a**ed Irishman so money is a

I understand, I married a tight-a**ed Irish woman.. can't get anything
past her, or out of her.

consideration. I'm probably over-playing it, but the purpose-made
copper terminations look kinda classy considering everything else is
hose.

Well - maybe not classy :^)

And I understand that its your hobby and enough said. It's the same here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow! Pot and kettle thing all over.

Two trolls duke it out.

-----------
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Dave, i don't know what's up your ass, but i just try to go through
life
without interference from other people. I don't get in their business
and don't expect them to get into mine. Everyone seems to be uptight
about something and always going off about nothing. So, if you have a
problem with me then filter me out. And thanks for calling me names.
It's real grown up of you. Don't bother to reply, i've already
filtered
you out.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Two trolls duke it out.

Yeah and a few days ago I posted an OT concern about the increasing
number of labeled and unlabeled off topic posts (including troll
materiel); and as expected got criticized. But the fact is, I have
been hanging out and contributing to this group for 10-15 years and
had it has been a good experience. But the increasing number of off
topic material (excluding spam) that appears to be coming for
subscribers is increasing rapidly. If it continues rec.woodworking
will become a useless wasteland just like one of our RV groups and
others. The increasing amount of venomous name calling also directly
follows the path that ( http://groups.google.com/group/rec.o...topics?lnk=srg
) took. When I looked at rec.outdoors,rv. travel at the time of this
post there were 28 items on the subject list and one was on topic.
There is also a very large amount of fighting, name calling and
profanity on that site.

What this group needs to understand is that many, maybe most, of us
are woodworkers who spend time working in the shop, spending time with
families, etc. We do not spend large amounts of time sitting in front
of the keyboard plotting filtering strategies to protect us from the
crap that shows up in these groups. When using a group becomes too
difficult we just quit using it.

You won't miss me but as other folks fade away, as they have with
other groups, you will miss the knowledge and resources these people
provide.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unfortunate but, some pride themselves with destroying groups and
Usenet by infiltrating the group and constantly raising the grain of
the types with the 20 grit personalities. Sometimes this takes a few
sockpuppets and that is done on a professional calibre. I have seen
too many groups bite the dust this way. This group has surprisingly
survived a tonne of this BS.

One has to wonder that some editorialize so well, with so much time
spent here, actually do any woodworking, at all.

--------
"RonB" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

--------"RonB" *wrote in message

[...]

Yeah but maintaining the site's integrity is easy:

1 - Don't post off topic
2 - If you are compelled to post off-topic, include "OT" in your
subject line.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with occasional jokes or
good-intent banter. That is what builds camaraderie among us. But
when a group gets recognized as tolerant of BS, the spammers, trolls
and others flock like geese.

We are on the verge of becoming a sanctuary.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:09:47 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:12:46 -0500, Steve Barker
And it is WHEN, not IF.

how long does it take? the shop i retired from was built in '74 or so
and was still doing fine when i left in '06. (160 psi kick off pressure)
Also, my own garage has had pvc air plumbing for almost the same
length of time. Only 130 psi at home.

You really are an obnoxious snot aren't you?

He can do the world a favor and keep doing stupid stuff like that.
One of these times something will finally get him???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 May 2012 13:05:21 -0400, Marty
wrote:

Hmmm seems as though most everyone is assuming Sch 40 PCV pipe
not the hose sold specifically for air distribution.
Seems like black pipe, while adaptable for the task is
very difficult to work with and VERY difficult to easily
add additional ports in the future.

I don't think the PVC specifically for air distribution will
shatter and explode, just rupture at the weak point. Otherwise
the hose reels for air distribution (like I have in my shop) would
not be practicable.

IMHO

That hose is NOT PVC pipe. Hose is safe if tied down often enough to
keep it from swinging around and taking your eye out. There is, to my
knowlwdge, NO PVC pipe made for air distribution.

Marty

On 5/17/2012 12:07 PM, RonB wrote:
I am going to route compressed air from my compressor location to one
or two other positions in my shop. I am looking at about 50 or more
feet of plumbing. I Googled some information regarding PVC, and
while it is economical, I still am not comfortable. I have come down
to using standard 1/2" black gas pipe and fittings.

Any other ideas, drawbacks, etc.

Thanks

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 May 2012 04:11:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm curious... Would covering the PVC with a plastic-like coating (like
THHN/THWN wire) sufficiently reduce the risk of using PVC with compressed
air? I guess the trick would become making sure the coating binds properly
to the PVC and adheres properly with the PVC glue.

Probably, it would eliminate shrapnel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 22 May 2012 04:11:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm curious... Would covering the PVC with a plastic-like coating
(like THHN/THWN wire) sufficiently reduce the risk of using PVC with
compressed air? I guess the trick would become making sure the
coating binds properly to the PVC and adheres properly with the PVC
glue.

Probably, it would eliminate shrapnel.

I'm guessing here, but I'd guess it would not. That's not a very thick
covering - I'd think it might not protect at all.

--

-Mike-