Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardware Sale at Menards

The Menards stores in my area have been getting rid of various bits of
useful hardware. I got 100 #4x1" sheet metal screws for a quarter, about
50 lock washers for around $.50, and a few other things.

If you're in the store (it's certainly not worth a trip just for this),
it's worth the 5 minutes to take a look.

One other tip: Woodcraft had DeWalt #2 Phillips bits for $2 for 25. These
are great for drywall/general purpose Phillips screws (if you use that kind
of screw). They work pretty well for many other Phillips screws as well.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
The Menards stores in my area have been getting rid of various bits of
useful hardware. I got 100 #4x1" sheet metal screws for a quarter, about
50 lock washers for around $.50, and a few other things.

If you're in the store (it's certainly not worth a trip just for this),
it's worth the 5 minutes to take a look.

One other tip: Woodcraft had DeWalt #2 Phillips bits for $2 for 25. These
are great for drywall/general purpose Phillips screws (if you use that kind
of screw). They work pretty well for many other Phillips screws as well.

Puckdropper

What's a Menard? Thought it was some kind of duck.

--
G.W. Ross

I used to be sane, but I'm feeling
much better now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G.W. Ross" writes:
Puckdropper wrote:
The Menards stores in my area have been getting rid of various bits of
useful hardware. I got 100 #4x1" sheet metal screws for a quarter, about
50 lock washers for around $.50, and a few other things.

If you're in the store (it's certainly not worth a trip just for this),
it's worth the 5 minutes to take a look.

One other tip: Woodcraft had DeWalt #2 Phillips bits for $2 for 25. These
are great for drywall/general purpose Phillips screws (if you use that kind
of screw). They work pretty well for many other Phillips screws as well.

Puckdropper

What's a Menard? Thought it was some kind of duck.

A farmer outside of Eau Claire Wisconsin who started a hardware store.

Son's a race car enthusiast.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/4/2012 5:39 AM, G.W. Ross wrote:

What's a Menard? Thought it was some kind of duck.

No, it's a REC.

http://menard.com/

The subject Menard's has evolved into another home improvement box store
chain...

http://www.menards.com/main/home.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/4/2012 9:45 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

A farmer outside of Eau Claire Wisconsin who started a hardware store.

Actually, the store was a later evolution. It all started as building
pole barns as a way for the founder to put himself through school.

He was building for farmers but whether he had a farm background himself
or not I don't know...

http://www.menards.com/main/footer/about-menards/about-us/our-history/c-3588.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
On 5/4/2012 9:45 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

A farmer outside of Eau Claire Wisconsin who started a hardware store.

Actually, the store was a later evolution. It all started as building
pole barns as a way for the founder to put himself through school.

He was building for farmers but whether he had a farm background himself
or not I don't know...

My father used to sell him seed corn. He was a farmer.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/4/2012 10:51 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My father used to sell him seed corn. He was a farmer.

By his own history at the link at the company site, that must have been
his father...it says he began building pole barns to put himself through
school also working in a movie theatre.

Not to say his father/family weren't; clearly the idea to build the pole
barns for the larger/growing dairies at the time must have come from
some familiarity but it surely doesn't look/sound like he was actually
farming then.

Ace hardware has a 20% off sale Saturday Oren[_2_] Home Repair 4 March 1st 09 01:52 PM
Menards bag sale Dean Home Repair 0 February 4th 07 04:00 PM
Ace Hardware Super Store For Sale In Kentucky [email protected] [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 25th 06 05:21 AM
Menards Bag Sale 17% off AL Woodworking 5 February 20th 06 06:43 PM
Menards 20.04% off Jan 1-4 AL Woodworking 4 January 3rd 04 05:35 AM