Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any books on making face frame kichen cabinets using the Kreg system?

Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

Thanks,

Wes

--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

What appeals to you about it?

Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 4:32*pm, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

Thanks,

Wes

--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.

The Kreg jig kit comes with a pretty good book.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:14:00 -0700 (PDT), RonB
Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

The Kreg jig kit comes with a pretty good book.

And, there are some decent instructional DVD's on the use of the Kreg
Jig. IIRC, one of them deals with creating a face frame.
http://www.amazon.com/KREG-JIG-DELUX...4452675&sr=8-1
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

The Kreg jig kit comes with a pretty good book.

RonB

My book must have become separated from the case. I bought the kit a long time ago.

Thanks,

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes ...

I built an entire kitchen using face frames with a Kreg jig. That system
is pretty much idiot-proof and doesn't require much in the way of
bookwork to start. Coarse screws for softwoods, fine threads for
hardwood. The instructions that come with the jig will get you where
you need to go.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message ...

On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking
tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like
to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes ...

I built an entire kitchen using face frames with a Kreg jig. That system
is pretty much idiot-proof and doesn't require much in the way of
bookwork to start. Coarse screws for softwoods, fine threads for
hardwood. The instructions that come with the jig will get you where
you need to go.
I think he is looking more for construction details than using the jig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Pocket hole joinery is highly suited for making kitchen cabinet face
frames, fast, efficient, and just the right amount of strength for the job.

Do you use Google SketchUp?

I have a collection of various 3D kitchen cabinet components online,
modeled in SketchUp, he

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

Any drawing of base and wall cabinets components should be self
explanatory, there really is not that much to it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Pocket hole joinery is highly suited for making kitchen cabinet face
frames, fast, efficient, and just the right amount of strength for the job.

Do you use Google SketchUp?

No, but I've downloaded the program and I am watching the tutorials. I've used cad but it
was AutoCad, SolidWorks, adn Alibre.

I have a collection of various 3D kitchen cabinet components online,
modeled in SketchUp, he

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

Any drawing of base and wall cabinets components should be self
explanatory, there really is not that much to it.

Thank you for examples.

Wes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2012 3:01 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:
Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

I think the term for the type I want to make are face frame and I'd like to do the joining
using the Kreg system.

Pocket hole joinery is highly suited for making kitchen cabinet face
frames, fast, efficient, and just the right amount of strength for the job.

Do you use Google SketchUp?

No, but I've downloaded the program and I am watching the tutorials. I've used cad but it
was AutoCad, SolidWorks, adn Alibre.

I have a collection of various 3D kitchen cabinet components online,
modeled in SketchUp, he

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

Any drawing of base and wall cabinets components should be self
explanatory, there really is not that much to it.

Thank you for examples.

There are separate files for both the face frame and case work for both
base and wall cabinets.

If you have any questions about fabricating the actual cabinets, ask away.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, that Sketchup looks cool. I better learn that tool. I was just
thinking about what kind of CAD tool I want to use to design my next
project. On one wall of the living room I'm building an entertainment
center with bookcases on either side. Til now my projects have been
more modest in size and sketches on paper were plenty good.

John S.

On 04/15/2012 09:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/14/2012 4:32 PM, Wes wrote:

Do you use Google SketchUp?

I have a collection of various 3D kitchen cabinet components online,
modeled in SketchUp, he

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2012 8:42 AM, John Shear wrote:
Wow, that Sketchup looks cool. I better learn that tool. I was just
thinking about what kind of CAD tool I want to use to design my next
project. On one wall of the living room I'm building an entertainment
center with bookcases on either side. Til now my projects have been more
modest in size and sketches on paper were plenty good.

On 04/15/2012 09:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
Do you use Google SketchUp?

I have a collection of various 3D kitchen cabinet components online,
modeled in SketchUp, he

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

Great, free design tool for both the hobbyist and professional woodworker.

SU has a less steep learning curve than most 2D CAD programs, but being
3D modeling software, it does require a bit of getting used to and may
seem counter-intuitive at first ... don't give up, it is well worth the
effort and, once the light bulb comes on, the proficiency will come
quickly and easily. And it's free ...

There are a number of new resources specific to the woodworker. Bob
Lang's Sketchup Blog, one of the more up to date, has woodworking
specific content, as well as providing a basic understanding of how to
use the program, highly recommended for woodworking SU starters:

http://readwatchdo.com/category/blog.../sketchupblog/

And there are a few woodworkers here who wouldn't walk out to the shop
before doing some advance SU planning, so don't hesitate to ask if you
have some specific questions.

If you're on G+, Bob's Sketchup page is he

https://plus.google.com/106940157095126556776/posts

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2012 1:13 PM, John Shear wrote in email:

When you started designing face frame style cabinets, how did decide
the width of rails and stiles as well as door frames? Did you just
copy what manufactured cabinets had, or did you have a better way? I
like designing things, but I don't know how to choose proper
proportions.

~ First a bit of philosophy: The holy grail of cabinet making is "SQUARE".

Making a _perfectly square_ cabinet insures that all doors and drawer
fronts will fit and be easy to install, and that the cabinets
themselves, even when hung on a wall that is not plumb, will be easier
to shim to that wall, and that those doors and drawers will always work
because the cabinets will remain square even if the wall moves, which
all walls will do.

The easiest way to achieve "square" in your cabinet making is to _batch
cut_ all the component parts.

IOW, set the table saw fence ONE TIME ONLY, and cut ALL the component
pieces that are going to be 1 1/2" wide at that time BEFORE moving the
table saw fence to another setting; Set the table saw fence to 30", and
cut ALL the component parts for ALL cabinets that are going to be 30"
long, BEFORE you move the table saw fence to another setting.

Repeat as often as necessary to batch cut all your cabinet parts, rails,
stiles, end panels, floors (which includes the top in industry parlance
since they are the same size), and backs.

As to your question about widths.

I base the face frame's rail and stile widths on the thickness of the
plywood you are going to use for the casework, as well the size of the
dadoes I will route into the face frame to accept that plywood. *More
about why below.

I almost always use the following dimensions for rails and stiles:

Base cabinet stiles: 1 1/2" wide
Base cabinet rails: 1 1/2" wide
Drawer rails: 1 1/2" wide

Wall cabinet stiles: 1 1/2" wide
Wall cabinet top rail: 2 1/2" wide (to take the crown)
Wall cabinet bottom rail: 1 1/2" wide
Wall cabinet Intermediate stiles: 3" wide

That is more or less an industry standard but you can certainly vary the
above for any reason, including your preference with regard to
appearance. But! ... be sure to take into account any hardware like
drawer slides and door hinges when making that rail and stile with
determination. (AAMOF, buy those items, or insure they are available,
BEFORE you cast your design in stone and start building).

~ Philosophy again: The idea is to take the time to make the face frames
FIRST, with meticulous attention to making the face frames as perfectly
square as possible (easily achieved with _batch cut parts_ ), AND then
assemble the casework on top of that square face frame, basically
insuring a square cabinet.

Route the necessary dadoes into the backside of the face frame to accept
the ends of the casework.

Route the necessary dadoes/groove into the _end panels_ of the cabinet case.

Assemble the face frames using pocket hole screw joinery.

Once your face frames are completely assembled, with due attention to
them being squa

Lay the face frame, dadoes up, on a flat surface and assemble, and glue
and/or nail the previously dadoed case work plywood component ON TOP OF
THE ALREADY ASSEMBLED, SQUARE FACE FRAME.

Doing it this way, and only this way, absolutely insures that you have
the squarest possible cabinets; cabinets that will not only attach to
each other easily for a cabinet "run", but cabinets in which the doors
and drawers will always work until the house is torn down ... something
that can only be achieved, with any assurance, with properly made, _shop
built_ cabinetry!

*More about the face frame stile and rail widths:

With a cabinet case made of 3/4" plywood, and using a 3/4" dadoe in the
back of 1 1/2" wide stiles to accept the 3/4" plywood, leaves 1/2" on
inside of the stile facing into the cabinet so that you can use a 1/2"
plywood spacer for mounting your drawer slides; and 1/4" on the outside
that you can use as a _scribe strip_ should you need to scribe to a wall
at the end of a run ... the latter, when trimmed out with 1/4" thick
material at the top and bottom of the cabinet, also makes a nice
finished appearance to a cabinet side that is going to be visible:

http://e-woodshop.net/images/3930-Kitchen13.JPG

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:31:54 -0500, Swingman wrote:

IOW, set the table saw fence ONE TIME ONLY, and cut ALL the component
pieces that are going to be 1 1/2" wide at that time BEFORE moving the
table saw fence to another setting; Set the table saw fence to 30", and
cut ALL the component parts for ALL cabinets that are going to be 30"
long, BEFORE you move the table saw fence to another setting.

Let me suggest cutting a couple EXTRAS of every critical piece BEFORE you move
the table saw fence. You will use these mostly as spares when you screw up.
Swing and Leon and a few others here could do the job in their sleep, but some
of us are mere mortals to whom **** happens.

Repeat as often as necessary to batch cut all your cabinet parts, rails,
stiles, end panels, floors (which includes the top in industry parlance
since they are the same size), and backs.

Another big snippage....

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2012 11:47 PM, Roy wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:31:54 -0500, wrote:

IOW, set the table saw fence ONE TIME ONLY, and cut ALL the component
pieces that are going to be 1 1/2" wide at that time BEFORE moving the
table saw fence to another setting; Set the table saw fence to 30", and
cut ALL the component parts for ALL cabinets that are going to be 30"
long, BEFORE you move the table saw fence to another setting.

Let me suggest cutting a couple EXTRAS of every critical piece BEFORE you move
the table saw fence. You will use these mostly as spares when you screw up.

Excellent point. The only time I ever need a spare part is when I
neglected to make one.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2012 11:47 PM, Roy wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:31:54 -0500, wrote:

IOW, set the table saw fence ONE TIME ONLY, and cut ALL the component
pieces that are going to be 1 1/2" wide at that time BEFORE moving the
table saw fence to another setting; Set the table saw fence to 30", and
cut ALL the component parts for ALL cabinets that are going to be 30"
long, BEFORE you move the table saw fence to another setting.

Let me suggest cutting a couple EXTRAS of every critical piece BEFORE you move
the table saw fence. You will use these mostly as spares when you screw up.
Swing and Leon and a few others here could do the job in their sleep, but some
of us are mere mortals to whom **** happens.

That is a good suggestion, and not only for when you screw up but you
are going to run across a piece or pieces that do not have a grain
pattern that works well with the other pieces or it warps and or bows
after being cut. Or if you are like me, you misplace one. ;~(

Repeat as often as necessary to batch cut all your cabinet parts, rails,
stiles, end panels, floors (which includes the top in industry parlance
since they are the same size), and backs.

Another big snippage....

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wes wrote in news:h1mir.238935$oV1.235179@en-
nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com:

Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

[...]
Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

"Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Danny Proulx. Excellent book.
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 4/15/2012 9:08 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in news:h1mir.238935$oV1.235179@en-
nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com:

Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

[...]
Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

"Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Danny Proulx. Excellent book.

I'll second Danny Proulx book. I used it along with the Kreg and a few
other tools. There are a few photos of the cupboards I built on the
link. They started out as a pile of 1 x 6's from a local sawmill.

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=Critters.jpg

Danny's book and a few episodes of Norm building cupboards were all
the cabinet making experience I had.

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Wes wrote in news:h1mir.238935$oV1.235179@en-
nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com:

Hopefully, this year I'll get around to use my collection of woodworking tools to make new
cabinets for the kitchen.

[...]
Are there any books on cabinetry I should consider?

"Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Danny Proulx. Excellent book.

I went nuts yesterday looking for that book. I was on a website that took me to Amazon
and their page for the book. I hadn't noticed that Amazon now actively tries to buy used
books so I'm thinking I may have that book.

Well, I found a bunch of woodworking books I bought 9 years ago but didn't find that one.
Then I looked into my order history and didn't find it.

Later that evening I was looking at a book I know I don't own and saw a spot on the page
asking if I wanted to sell my copy. That was embarasing.

I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:48:22 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

I was all alone when I found a copy of a book I had just ordered the
day before it arrived. Anyone need a copy of
Making and Modifying Machines (Fine Woodworking On) [Paperback]
$10 delivered media mail.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.