Old March 29th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black and Decker Bandsaw 9411 Type I

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:15:06 -0500, Leon [email protected]
And then regardless of how fast or you are feeding the wood you would be
using the wrong blade. If you are using a blade that is hitting on the
back side you are 99% not closely following the drawn curve.

And that makes me ask: Are there any tables made up of a correlation
between maximum blade size and minimum acceptable cutting curve? It
might help newbie band saw owners when it comes to cutting curves.

Old March 29th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2008...-radius-chart/

Old March 29th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:15:06 -0500, [email protected]

http://www.allbandsawblades.com/blade_width.htm
Old March 29th 12, 11:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2012 3:17 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:13:00 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
The books I read suggested rounding the back of the blade with a stone
to make it easier to cut curves.

Not only that, it often reduces the drift.

Is this something that is already done for you on quality blades or is
it something that should be done by every band saw owner?

This does not have to be done on the Laguna BS's with the ceramic
guides. The saw does this for you.
Old March 30th 12, 12:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:15:06 -0500, Leon [email protected]
And then regardless of how fast or you are feeding the wood you would be
using the wrong blade. If you are using a blade that is hitting on the
back side you are 99% not closely following the drawn curve.

And that makes me ask: Are there any tables made up of a correlation
between maximum blade size and minimum acceptable cutting curve? It
might help newbie band saw owners when it comes to cutting curves.

No. Such a thing has never been made before.
Art

Old March 30th 12, 04:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in
:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:13:00 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
The books I read suggested rounding the back of the blade with a stone
to make it easier to cut curves.

Not only that, it often reduces the drift.

Is this something that is already done for you on quality blades or is
it something that should be done by every band saw owner?

The Woodslicer and Woodturner blades from Highland Hardware both had
rounded backs when I got them.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Old February 25th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:50:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
To start off I realize it is a cheap saw and I could do better, but for $25 I thought it was a good deal to work a bandsaw into my needs in woodworking. Question: I picked it up at a yard sale with three blades for $25, and thought it would be a good starter bandsaw. I brought it home and downloaded all of the manual and parts list. I spent most of Monday cleaning it up. (Though it was obviously well maintained but not used for a long time. Mud Wasp nest under the table and in the knobs gave that away.) Based on the manual I adjusted the alignment, and turned it on. I think it works perfectly. I did some play cuts, and noticed that it appeared to burn the wood slightly when I cut curves. Since I did not smell any burning I thought there may be a little rust on the blade. Me question is a slight burning on the curves normal with this type of bandsaw, or is it something I am doing.

I have this model and can NOT keep and thin (3/16" wide blade on the saw? It keep jumping off the wheels?
Old February 25th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2014 1:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think about 30 years ago that was about a $70 saw, new. Now you know
why you were able to pick it up for $25. More than likely it appears
will maintained because it was mot used much because of what you are
witnessing.

You can/will get burning from a blade that is too wide for the radius
that you are cutting. If burning while cutting a straight line, cheap
blade.

The BS is a machine that has to have some degree of quality for you to
enjoy. Typically the more money you put into a BS the better the saw
will cut.

This is how my journey went.

I probably bought that same saw 30 or so years ago and it was,,, at toy.

Next saw was a 1/2 hp 10" Craftsman that I bought shortly there after.
I was a real band saw and cut decently on thin stock. Because it was
difficult to align every time I used it, I seldom used it.

About 6~7 years ago I bought a big Rikon with 2hp to replace the
Craftsman. I wanted a saw that would be my last BS. IIRC I paid around
$999 on sale. I ordered it sight unseen with the understanding that I
could return it should I find it not to my liking. I returned it less
than 2 weeks later.

It has been my findings that I needed to step up in quality to fore go
having to putz with the saw every time I wanted to use it. I
expected/expect it to be ready to cut when I walk up to it and turn it
on. NONE of the previous saws afforded me that luxury. I spent way way
more than you are probably thinking of spending but I am very very happy
with the saw and it eats every thing I throw at it with no fuss. It is
my last and probably my son's last saw should he one day decide to keep it.

If you really have the need or want a BS I would advise looking at an
older Delta or something that has a lot of steel or iron in it. Plastic
and aluminum is not going to leave with a happy feeling.

Old February 26th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Emphasis on older. Delta isn't what it used to be.

---

Old February 26th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Hasn't been in years. As far back as 2000 I was having problems with
Delta. I buy their stuff used, but stopped buying new. My Bandsaw was
the last and worst Delta product.. I bought the American made Piece of
****, and basically had to put a lot of work to get it right. I could
write a book.

---
protection is active.