Elwood Dowd

Default best way?

WD-40 seems to work pretty well for me, when I bother to clean 'em.
Mine usually get dull before dingy, and since I use cheapies I recycle
and replace them.
Doug Miller

In article , "furr2ball" wrote:
I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw blades,
solvent, techniques, etc...

Do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup; it's been discussed many times,
with many different methods proposed.

My method: dissolve about 1/4 cup of washing soda in about 1 qt of warm water
in a dishpan. Soak the blade in this solution for five minutes. Wipe clean
(scrubbing is not necessary unless the blade is *really* gunky). Rinse. Dry.

Cheap. Easy. Quick. Environmentally benign. Works for bandsaw blades, too.

Don't post a followup asking where you can buy washing soda. We've talked
about that too. Use Google. :-)

--
Regards,

Jim

I use the Boeshield T-9 Blade and Bit cleaner. Just spray it on, wait 60
seconds and wipe off. I was amazed at how well it desolved the buildup on
the blade.

Jim
www.woodblog.com

"furr2ball" wrote in message
I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw

blades,
solvent, techniques, etc...

furr2ball

I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw blades,
solvent, techniques, etc...

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:25:05 -0700, "furr2ball"
wrote:

I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw blades,
solvent, techniques, etc...

I'm a proponent of the try the least toxic, least corrosive method
first concept.

a 5 gallon bucket is about right for 10" blades. if you're going to
stack them put spacers between. you don't want to chip the carbide
teeth.

cover with warm water. a shot of detergent helps, as does a little
vinegar. let them soak for a half-hour.

a light scrub with a soft brass bristle brush should get any stubborn
spots.

rinse and dry.

patrick conroy

"furr2ball" wrote in message
I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw

blades,
solvent, techniques, etc...

Simple Green, IMHO, is the best.

1) Stop at Safeway; buy Simple Green; large foil Turkey Tin; small scrub
brush
2) Return home
3) Remove blade from Table Saw
3.1 start delination of various methods to remove blade
3.12 end
4) Place blade in foil Turkey Tin; spray liberally with Simple Green - both
sides
5) Grab broom and sweep shop and/or sort cutoff bin (i.e. time passes...)
6) Briskly but gently, scrub residue from blade
7) Take clean blade, tin and brush inside and rinse in bathtub with clean
cool water
8) Dry with a towel
8.1) Fine Egyptian Cotton for Woodworker II blades
8.2) Ratty ol' wedding gift towel for Vermont American blades
9) Replace blade in saw
9.1) ...
9.5) ...
10) Put Simple Green, tin and brush someplace where you can find them again