Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT visa MC refused in Holland no chip

This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Han wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 8:41 AM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:
This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

My chipped card only runs on 110V, will it work over there?
:-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there is
that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as painless as
possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's been 10 yr
since last traveled there).

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?

No idea but we're stuck with it

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 11:47 AM, Stuart wrote:
In articleRIOdnbN26oFIQqbSnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:
"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?

No idea but we're stuck with it

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would
take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in
law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it
was automatically: "the bank wins".

Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:46*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 2/15/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. *While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. *Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. *Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. *Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. *Or be
prepared for hassles.

My chipped card only runs on 110V, will it work over there?
:-)

You need an adaptor. A store in Nigeria sells them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in
:

wrote:
On 2/15/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

I can get you a cheap one. Just send me your ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit
card in the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online
scams?

It's cut down the 'scams' at the shop (stores) checkouts by quite a bit, but
internet shopping and other 'card holder not present' (e.g. telephone
orders) [1] seemed to be showing an increase in fraudulent use a while back.

[1] Where Chip and Pin is not used and a greater reliance is put on the
three digit 'security number' on the back of the card.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/12 12:10 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You need an adaptor. A store in Nigeria sells them.

Like

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit
card in the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online
scams?

It's cut down the 'scams' at the shop (stores) checkouts by quite a bit, but
internet shopping and other 'card holder not present' (e.g. telephone
orders) [1] seemed to be showing an increase in fraudulent use a while back.

[1] Where Chip and Pin is not used and a greater reliance is put on the
three digit 'security number' on the back of the card.

That has become standard operation over here in the New World...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Han wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

--
Stuart Winsor

The same "Chip & PIN" as this?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/s...p-and-Pin.html
http://www.themultichannelretailer.c...security_risk/
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/...d-risk-203644/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thinking of another thread and the need for control of dangerous credit cards,
like the one my estranged wife uses, I propose a new invention that,
unlike its inspriation, will surely have few objections from the esteemed
readers of this newsgroupr. May I present for your consideration:

*** THE CREDIT CARD STOP! ****

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Han wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit
card in the UK.

--
Stuart Winsor

The same "Chip & PIN" as this?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/s...p-and-Pin.html
http://www.themultichannelretailer.c...security_risk/
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/02/...d-risk-203644/

Nothng is 100% secure in this world no matter what system of transaction
protection you use - there will always be someone who will find a way round
the system.

Me, I'm just waiting for the creation of the 'superbug' that will circumvent
all the IT protections that banks use thus crippling the world banking
system - now that really will f**ck the Chip and Pin system up when (not if)
that happens.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

What effect has the practice had on credit card theft and online scams?

No idea but we're stuck with it

Reminds me of a lawyer who once worked for me. When asked if he would
take a case involving suing a bank, his response was basically that in
law school the answer to every question that had the word "bank" in it
was automatically: "the bank wins".

Banks do what they can get away with, and we have to put up with it.

Ah, yes, the golden rule: they have the gold, they make the rule.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there is
that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as painless as
possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's been 10 yr
since last traveled there).

It may have changed in the past few months, but when I was in Italy
and Ireland in October, my cards worked just fine. I'm told though,
that some places just don't want to use the US versions and refuse
them, even though they can take them with a bit of effort.

I was also told by Citi Bank that they are not offering chip & pin
cards anyway, in the US.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Feb 2012 13:56:44 GMT, Han wrote:

This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.
http://tinyurl.com/6o5x25z 93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and wallet
inserts are available, too.

People are walking around with card scanners just waiting for fresh
cards. I even saw that in a movie recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmajlKJlT3U Like this.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On 2/15/12 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. *While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. *Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. *Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. *Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. *Or be
prepared for hassles.

My chipped card only runs on 110V, will it work over there?
:-)

You need an adaptor. A store in Nigeria sells them.

Yeah. Just call them and give them your credit card number and
security code. They'll do the rest!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.
http://tinyurl.com/6o5x25z 93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and wallet
inserts are available, too.

People are walking around with card scanners just waiting for fresh
cards. I even saw that in a movie recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmajlKJlT3U Like this.

Just wrap the card in some aluminium foil. Make sure to seal it on all
edges (oragami masters may make a fancy case) so the radio signals can't
get out.

I haven't tested it (I refuse to use the "Blink" ''feature'' of my card),
but it should work.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1520288 20120215 135644 Han wrote:
This is definitely Off Topic

My wife had to go to Holland for a week because of family illness. While
there her credit cards were refused, because of an apparently new policy
that American credit cards without a "chip" are being refused. Chase Visa
Freedom doesn't have them, nor does Amazon Visa. Apparently a Visa Btrish
Aorways card may have a chip. Citibank was nice and is sending me new MC
cards with a chip.

If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in Europe
(certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip. Or be
prepared for hassles.

No need to feel persecuted, France changed to chipped cards before the
UK did (over 5 years ago) and I remember having to phone my bank for a
chipped card after my son told me of the problems he had had there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.
http://tinyurl.com/6o5x25z 93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and wallet
inserts are available, too.

You or somebody else is getting confused with RFID tags which are read
remotely. These have gold contact pads which make contact with contacts in
the machine - like an SD or other memory card.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in
Europe (certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip.
Or be prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit
card in the UK.

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there
is that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as
painless as possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's
been 10 yr since last traveled there).

It may have changed in the past few months, but when I was in Italy
and Ireland in October, my cards worked just fine. I'm told though,
that some places just don't want to use the US versions and refuse
them, even though they can take them with a bit of effort.

I was also told by Citi Bank that they are not offering chip & pin
cards anyway, in the US.

Thanks, Ed!! She only tried the cards once, and maybe it was a balky
girl at the window, who knows. I'll let you know whether the CitiBank MC
I'm going to get is Chip and PIN or sign.

I still like the idea of a prepaid card to take €s to Europe, even if it
is only a maximum of $1500 per card.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Stuart wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.
http://tinyurl.com/6o5x25z 93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and
wallet inserts are available, too.

You or somebody else is getting confused with RFID tags which are read
remotely. These have gold contact pads which make contact with
contacts in the machine - like an SD or other memory card.

Bing!! We have a winner!! No RFID here.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 2:41*pm, Stuart wrote:

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit card in
the UK.

No, they have to make provision for signature only cards too - my
grandparents c an't be bothered remembering more numbers, so they
still have signature cards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:55:59 +0000 (GMT), Stuart
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
Be sure to buy Faraday cage card cases for them before you go out.
http://tinyurl.com/6o5x25z 93 hits on eBay. Passport covers and wallet
inserts are available, too.

You or somebody else is getting confused with RFID tags which are read
remotely. These have gold contact pads which make contact with contacts in
the machine - like an SD or other memory card.

Oh! I hadn't even seen those before. http://tinyurl.com/8ytc9lc or
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1106176.html
The Puffington Host finally broke the story here last November, I
guess.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/16/2012 5:43 AM, Han wrote:
Ed wrote in
:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:27:55 -0600, wrote:
[...]

Mayhaps it's a function of how off the tourist/business traffic path one
is. I'd think the places that are catering to those would have very
difficult time in a blanket refusal; there's just too much business
a-going to not. Then again, if their admin is as little in tune w/
business as is our current, one can imagine rules of much negative
consequence being imposed w/o consideration for same...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

Mayhaps it's a function of how off the tourist/business traffic path
one is. I'd think the places that are catering to those would have
very difficult time in a blanket refusal; there's just too much
business a-going to not. Then again, if their admin is as little in
tune w/ business as is our current, one can imagine rules of much
negative consequence being imposed w/o consideration for same...

I blame the whole thing my wife encountered recently on the nitwittiness
of one window clerk (female) at the railroad ticket counter in Schiphol
Airport. Or her bad time of month or whatever. My wife had enough
cash, and didn't try her cards somewhere else. In the end no harm was
done, but for some reason it was just about the first thing (well ...)
she told me after coming home. She went alone to Holland this time
because her sister in law was rather sick and I had to do grandpa duty
while she was away. In the past we had gone together, or I went alone.

In the past I've almost always used the chip and pin card from my Dutch
bank when in Europe, because of the lack of penalty in the form of
exchange fees and bad exchange rates; in contrast to what happens with a
US credit card. I well remember the extra charges when renting a car in
Pisa (Italy has special laws that require you to buy extra insurance).

In the future we'll either together or separately use one or another
chip and pin card, you can bet on that.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Feb 2012 21:16:58 GMT, Han wrote:
I blame the whole thing my wife encountered recently on the nitwittiness
of one window clerk (female) at the railroad ticket counter in Schiphol
Airport. Or her bad time of month or whatever.

It may not have been her fault at all. My Mastercard which was
recently upgraded with all the chip and pin options, was refused twice
by the same grocery store. When I called Mastercard to inquire, they
said is was probably because that terminal wasn't using the latest
software.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/16/2012 3:16 PM, Han wrote:

In the past I've almost always used the chip and pin card from my Dutch
bank when in Europe, because of the lack of penalty in the form of
exchange fees and bad exchange rates; in contrast to what happens with a
US credit card. I well remember the extra charges when renting a car in
Pisa (Italy has special laws that require you to buy extra insurance).

It's been quite a spell; it might (probably is?) worse now what w/ the
plethora of additional fees and charges, etc., they've added--seemingly
something new almost daily.

Back then, my small-business AmEx was equivalent enough to what I could
do direct on exchange I didn't feel at all put out. Combined w/ easy to
use anywhere in UK/France/Germany, it was about all I carried except for
an emergency cash fund 'just in case'. I'd surely do some checking
today before just tried that, for sure, though (altho since retired and
have closed that account anyway).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

On 2/16/2012 3:16 PM, Han wrote:

[...]

I am originally Dutch, and got an account through my family. I've kept
it despite the monthly fees just to make things easier for the few things
we buy over there, and for vacations. With the internet, banking gets
almost easy worldwide.

--
Best regards
Han