Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT visa MC refused in Holland no chip

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:27:55 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 2/15/2012 8:41 AM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
wrote:
If you are contemplating using your credit cards on travel in
Europe (certainly Holland), make sure you get new ones with a chip.
Or be prepared for hassles.

"Chip and PIN" is the only way you can use /any/ credit or debit
card in the UK.

That seems very strange as much US tourist/business traffic as there
is that they aren't making foreign payments into the country as
painless as possible???? There surely must be a mechanism (altho it's
been 10 yr since last traveled there).

It may have changed in the past few months, but when I was in Italy
and Ireland in October, my cards worked just fine. I'm told though,
that some places just don't want to use the US versions and refuse
them, even though they can take them with a bit of effort.

I was also told by Citi Bank that they are not offering chip & pin
cards anyway, in the US.

Thanks, Ed!! She only tried the cards once, and maybe it was a balky
girl at the window, who knows. I'll let you know whether the CitiBank MC
I'm going to get is Chip and PIN or sign.

I still like the idea of a prepaid card to take €s to Europe, even if it
is only a maximum of $1500 per card.

--
Best regards
Han