Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Toy Blocks from Scraps

I just completed a project to make 50 rug loom frames from 15/16" thick kiln
dried soft maple. I ripped a bunch of 6 foot long boards to 1 1/2" wide,
then cut 43 1/2" and 24" long slats from them.
As I selected out knots, etc., I ended up with a 5 gallon pail of scraps
that were less than about 8" long and a pail of scraps that were about one
foot long to 2 feet long. All of these scraps are 15/16" X 1 1/2".
Four kids, ages 5 to 13, visited us the other day and I brought out those
scraps to see if modern kids would still be interested in something as
mundane as the blocks that I had when I was a kid.
Wow! In no time at all they were totally immersed in the blocks. They
built buildings and a race track. They were disappointed when mom said it
was time to go.
One lesson learned, though: The two oldest were boys and pretty soon they
were using the longer scraps as swords. subsequently, when our own 2 great
grandchildren (boys, ages 5 and 4) arrived, I did not offer any pieces
longer than about 8". They, too dug right in without any urging at all.

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what do you
do with yours?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete S wrote:

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what
do you do with yours?

I burn mine. My grand daughters love to "help" carry them in to the wood
stove. Oh - and some do survive for other uses, if those uses come up
before the trip to the wood stove...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2012 11:26 AM, Pete S wrote:

One lesson learned, though: The two oldest were boys and pretty soon
they were using the longer scraps as swords.

Yep, and put a light of some sort on the end of the longer scraps and
Star Wars will be re-enacted all over again, guaranteed.

Good post!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, those babies like all that kind of play. Their imaginations do
the rest.

When my girlfriends 2 boys were young, they not only played with the
scraps, but I roughly cut out shapes of rifles, from 3' - 4' scrap.
They and neighbor's kids played with those for more than a year.
Prior to the cutouts, they used sticks/limbs, for rifles. I don't
think Star Wars was out, yet.... another good idea. *One year, my
brother bought his boys some $100+ outdoor Christmas gifts. He went
outside to find them playing with sticks. He was ****ed! LOL.

Leftover cherry scraps ended up as these, also:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Leftover log and limb scraps ended up as this (one of several, as well
as other odd bench & small table pieces):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 11:26*am, "Pete S" wrote:
[...]

A few years ago we converted a few 2x6's and a length of 1" dowel rod
into a Rubbermaid tub full of blocks as a Christmas present for our
two oldest grandids. We looked at play blocks that sold in sets and
tried to reproduce the cubes, rectangular shaped blocks, blocks with
arches, stacking cylinders, etc, etc, etc. it took us an evening to
cut and sand them. Then we covered a plastic covered basement floor
with them and applied two or three coats of mineral oil.

Success. This is the one toy that started getting use immediately.
The two older ones still use them and their three younger siblings
have gotten a lot of use too. Toys like this require imagination -
not two thumbs to be operated.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 12:26*pm, "Pete S" wrote:

SNIP

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what do you
do with yours?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

I have made about 10 sets of blocks, each with over 60 pieces (66
typical) and their own individual boxes. To make them stack (and
pack) well, the basic block should be twice as wide as it is thick and
twice as long as it is wide. You get to half blocks, double long,
ramps, pillars, half pillars, wedges, arches, etc. Round columns,
too.

I started out (before I had a planer and jointer) with 5/4 stock. At
the time, that was 1-1/8" thick. So, my basic blocks were 1-1/8 X
2-1/4 X 4-1/2. I made jigs to help cut them, especially the ramps
because your fingers get too close to the TS blade when cutting
without a jig. I got into trouble when the home center started to
stock 5/4 that was only 1-1/16 thick. My jigs then were NG and I
wound up throwing away a bunch of blocks before I caught on. Now-a-
days, I use 2X material. Construction site cut-offs are great. I
plane down to 1-1/8 and they clean up nice. If I was starting over, I
would probably only plane down to 1-1/4. But since I already have the
jigs, I go to 1-1/8.

I made 4 sets this year, one for a grandson and three for Toys-4-
Tots. All the sets I have made have been construction lumber save one
I made from leftover maple. My oldest set has been "in the field" for
14 years and is none too worse for the wear. Don't let anybody tell
you they "need" to be hardwood. And yes, these are very popular. In
two cases I had to make a second set for families where the oldest
wouldn't give up the blocks to his younger sibling.

Making the blocks isn't particularly challanging, but I did learn some
"mass production" tricks along the way. And, since they are so well
received, it does feel rewarding.

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete S" wrote in
:

*snip*

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what
do you do with yours?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

The larger stuff gets saved for another project, while the smaller stuff
and the dangerous or hopelessly warped stuff gets put in the fire bin.
I've done a bit of lumber making with a bandsaw, so the fire bin does
tend to fill reasonably quickly as the rough edges get trimmed.

Jointer shavings often make a good fire starter.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete S" wrote in message
[...]

You're lucky... my kids mine my cherry and walnut inventory, cut it up
themselves, and make things out of it. That leaves me with less stock for my
projects... Of course I help them select the right rough cut boards for what
they want to make. I also supervise their use of the stationary tools (at
least that is what I tell my wife). They've been using tools since they
where in diapers, literally. We haven't had a single mishap that involved
blood despite the razor sharp hand and power tools. Careful instruction and
care go a long ways... Then again, this kind of wood inventory problem I
like to have... I can live with it. ;~)

Doug Stowe and his Wisdom of the Hands has it right! Keep up the good work!

John

Junior Member

Thank you for this article. That's all I can say. You most surely have created this blog into some thing specific. You clearly know what that you are performing, you have covered so many bases.Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2012 12:26 PM, Pete S wrote:
..
One lesson learned, though: The two oldest were boys and pretty soon
they were using the longer scraps as swords. subsequently, when our own
2 great grandchildren (boys, ages 5 and 4) arrived, I did not offer any
pieces longer than about 8". They, too dug right in without any urging
at all.

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what do
you do with yours?

Firewood. If the scraps are too small, the kids might swallow them and
choke to death. Too big and they might hurl them at one another, and
put out and eye. Until there are some clear gov't guidelines, I prefer
to sit the kids in front of the tube to watch old Oprah and Law and
Order re-runs...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

.
One lesson learned, though: The two oldest were boys and pretty soon
they were using the longer scraps as swords. subsequently, when our own
2 great grandchildren (boys, ages 5 and 4) arrived, I did not offer any
pieces longer than about 8". They, too dug right in without any urging
at all.

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what do
you do with yours?

Firewood. If the scraps are too small, the kids might swallow them and
choke to death. Too big and they might hurl them at one another, and put
out and eye. Until there are some clear gov't guidelines, I prefer to sit
the kids in front of the tube to watch old Oprah and Law and Order
re-runs...

Better use fresh cut firewood so they don't get splinters...

John

Ideas for Scraps Greg G. Woodworking 0 January 7th 08 01:56 PM
And then the scraps NoOne N Particular Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 November 25th 07 12:19 PM
Tossing out scraps Eigenvector Woodworking 21 July 26th 07 07:41 AM
Uses for scraps and chips Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 June 4th 07 01:40 PM
Projects for scraps trs80 Woodworking 3 January 16th 07 04:41 PM