Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt[_2_] Bill Leonhardt[_2_] is offline

Default Toy Blocks from Scraps

On Feb 13, 12:26*pm, "Pete S" wrote:

SNIP

So, since all woodworkers must face similar issues with scraps, what do you
do with yours?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

I have made about 10 sets of blocks, each with over 60 pieces (66
typical) and their own individual boxes. To make them stack (and
pack) well, the basic block should be twice as wide as it is thick and
twice as long as it is wide. You get to half blocks, double long,
ramps, pillars, half pillars, wedges, arches, etc. Round columns,
too.

I started out (before I had a planer and jointer) with 5/4 stock. At
the time, that was 1-1/8" thick. So, my basic blocks were 1-1/8 X
2-1/4 X 4-1/2. I made jigs to help cut them, especially the ramps
because your fingers get too close to the TS blade when cutting
without a jig. I got into trouble when the home center started to
stock 5/4 that was only 1-1/16 thick. My jigs then were NG and I
wound up throwing away a bunch of blocks before I caught on. Now-a-
days, I use 2X material. Construction site cut-offs are great. I
plane down to 1-1/8 and they clean up nice. If I was starting over, I
would probably only plane down to 1-1/4. But since I already have the
jigs, I go to 1-1/8.

I made 4 sets this year, one for a grandson and three for Toys-4-
Tots. All the sets I have made have been construction lumber save one
I made from leftover maple. My oldest set has been "in the field" for
14 years and is none too worse for the wear. Don't let anybody tell
you they "need" to be hardwood. And yes, these are very popular. In
two cases I had to make a second set for families where the oldest
wouldn't give up the blocks to his younger sibling.

Making the blocks isn't particularly challanging, but I did learn some
"mass production" tricks along the way. And, since they are so well
received, it does feel rewarding.

Bill Leonhardt