Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable Air Compressor problems

I purchased a C2006 compressor with the three nailers from Home Depot
and was very happy with it until it started to leak at the air release
valve at the bottom of the tank. Only then did I read about the
problems with this type of compressor. I purchased a replacement
release valve from eREplacementsParts.com and thought that the problem
was solved. However when I removed the old valve did I see how flimsy
the threads were on the tank to hold the value. Long story short the
new valve leaks worse than the old one that was worn out.
I think that I am up the creek and asking for advice and
recommendations for a replacement compressor. I had grown accustomed
to have compressed air but I don't think that I want to replace it in
kind.
Al
Posted to rec.woodworking

Before giving up on this one, have you tried
teflon tape?
plumbers putty? The type of putty used to seal threads.
Try that one or the other may solve the problem.
Then there is the old solution of plumbers thread with plumbers putty.
One of them might do the job.
And if all fail. epoxy will save that compressor. Try JB WELD

On 1/30/2012 11:45 PM, Al Holstein wrote:
roblems with this type of compressor. I purchased a replacement
release valve from eREplacementsParts.com and thought that the problem
was solved. However when I removed the old valve did I see how flimsy
the threads were on the tank to hold the value. Long story short the
new valve leaks worse than the old one that was worn out.
I think that I am up the creek and asking for advice and
recommendations for a replacement compressor. I had grown accustomed
to have compressed air but I don't think that I want to replace it in
kind.
Al

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2012 10:45 PM, Al Holstein wrote:
I purchased a C2006 compressor with the three nailers from Home Depot
and was very happy with it until it started to leak at the air release
valve at the bottom of the tank. Only then did I read about the
problems with this type of compressor. I purchased a replacement
release valve from eREplacementsParts.com and thought that the problem
was solved. However when I removed the old valve did I see how flimsy
the threads were on the tank to hold the value. Long story short the
new valve leaks worse than the old one that was worn out.
I think that I am up the creek and asking for advice and
recommendations for a replacement compressor. I had grown accustomed
to have compressed air but I don't think that I want to replace it in
kind.
Al

Put in a galvanized steel elbow and short galvanized pipe with a ball
valve at the end of the pipe.

Epoxy the elbow into the tank opening.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 8:00*am, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Before giving up on this one, have you tried
teflon tape?
plumbers putty? The type of putty used to seal threads.
Try that one or the other may solve the problem.
Then there is the old solution of plumbers thread with plumbers putty.
One of them might do the job.
And if all fail. epoxy will save that compressor. Try JB WELD

I think you mean pipe dope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_dope
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ANT...ipe-Dope-4UJ95

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 5:12*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I put in an elbow with teflon tape and
teflon taped in the new valve after putting a little grease on the
inner working of it and everything is holding air now.

Al