Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laminating Cherry to Baltic Ply

Hi: I need advice from someone who has actually has applied 1/8" self-cut
veneer to Baltic Ply. ONE SIDE ONLY. Additionally, this lamination would
then be bread-boarded. This means that the the laminated material would be
completed surrounded by solid lumber. See any problems.??

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
ng.com...
Hi: I need advice from someone who has actually has applied 1/8" self-cut
veneer to Baltic Ply. ONE SIDE ONLY. Additionally, this lamination would
then be bread-boarded. This means that the the laminated material would be
completed surrounded by solid lumber. See any problems.??

I did this kind of thing for a project that is still in process. Not bread
boards though as it is basically a panel in a frame to form a box and the
substrate is very thin, 1/4", so I could flatten it out as needed to get it
into the rabets/grooves.

I take it that the bread board in your case is intended for aesthetics
rather than function. I'd be concerned about the panel warping and not
flattening out due to the moisture variance across the two sides. If your
substrate is thin enough to muscle into place you're probably OK. That
said... I'd laminate both sides of Baltic birch of 1/2" or more in
thickness... or maybe moisten it and cover with damp newspaper.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2012 1:42 PM, John wrote:
Hi: I need advice from someone who has actually has applied 1/8"
self-cut veneer to Baltic Ply. ONE SIDE ONLY. Additionally, this
lamination would then be bread-boarded. This means that the the
laminated material would be completed surrounded by solid lumber. See
any problems.??

That pretty much describes modern furniture manufacturing....

No problems that I can see...

Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
laminating cherry stock for a gun stock [email protected] Woodworking 7 June 6th 07 09:59 PM
Laminating Highspeed Woodworking 1 December 23rd 04 05:10 AM
Need to stain Baltic Birch to look like Cherry A Womack Woodworking 13 December 15th 04 07:25 PM
Mortiser and Baltic Birch [email protected] Woodworking 6 December 9th 04 12:56 AM