Default Mortiser and Baltic Birch

Having difficulties mortising BB but not hardwoods. Have the
sharpening cones and have used but when the chisel starts into the
wood that's where it ends, at the surface. Cure is (1) pull harder,
(2) use sharpening cones, (3) don't mortise BB?

You are always going to have some breakout of the surface veneer of
pretty much any plywood when you try to jam a punch through it, which
is what is essentially what you are doing (I'm assuming from your post
that you are using a square chisel mortise attachment or mortiser.

If you wanted, you could use a very sharp razor knofe and score/cut the
surface first. Yes, that is a bit manual intensive, requires layout
that a mortiser typicially helps you avoid, but if you want clean cuts
in plywood, I couldn't see any other way top get it.

BW

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:41:19 -0500, "
wrote:

Having difficulties mortising BB but not hardwoods.

Soft timber expands more on turning it into chips. Try setting the
auger up to leave a little more space between it and the chisel. If
you use the "nickel trick" to set the chisel & auger position, use a
slightly thinker nickel.

TWS

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:38:53 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

Soft timber expands more on turning it into chips. Try setting the
auger up to leave a little more space between it and the chisel. If
you use the "nickel trick" to set the chisel & auger position, use a
slightly thinker nickel.

This is the first meaningful explanation I've seen to help set the
drill bit WRT the chisel. The Delta manual simply said the distance
between the drill and the chisel will vary depending on the type of
wood without *any* explanation for the relationship. In the words of
a Japanese friend of mine - wakarimasu, now I understand!

Thanks!
TWS

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:36:21 GMT, TWS wrote:

This is the first meaningful explanation I've seen to help set the
drill bit WRT the chisel.

It would be even clearer if I could spell "thicker" !
patrick conroy

"TWS" wrote in message

This is the first meaningful explanation I've seen to help set the
drill bit WRT the chisel. The Delta manual simply said the distance
between the drill and the chisel will vary depending on the type of
wood without *any* explanation for the relationship. In the words of

Agreed - charlie b's "Fisch" 40 cent setting trick made things much nicer
with mine...