A Womack

Default Need to stain Baltic Birch to look like Cherry

Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

Alan
FriscoSoxFan

Since your asking for stain, you're probably referring to mass-market
looking cherry.

In that case, I've found that Minwax water-based Rosewood stain over Borg
Birch Ply comes close to the usual veneer over MDF that most call cherry

"A Womack" wrote in message
Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

Alan

toller

"A Womack" wrote in message
Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

You will never get it to match worth a darn. Go for contrast.

Behlen's Solar Lux Medium Cherry. To darken it you can mix in some of
the Medium Red Mahogany Solar Lux. To lighten it, you'll want to use
the Behlen's Reducer.

If you don't need to go very dark, sometimes the Watco Cherry or
Fruitwood Danish Oil will do the trick, too.

You're going to have to experiment to figure out what works best.
Brian.

Edwin Pawlowski

"toller" wrote in message
You will never get it to match worth a darn. Go for contrast.

Or buy cherry plywood. About $100/sheet

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:17:03 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
You will never get it to match worth a darn. Go for contrast.

Or buy cherry plywood. About $100/sheet

I just paid around $80.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:33:58 GMT, toller wrote:

"A Womack" wrote in message
Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

You will never get it to match worth a darn. Go for contrast.

Build the rest of the piece out of MDF and stain the cherry to match . .
..
8-)

Peter

I just did my library with birch cabinets and cherry face frames and doors.
I finished it with Bartley's Pennsylvania Cherry stain and varnish. A detail
picture he

http://www.wwest.net/~keely/woodworking/library.htm

Regards, Peter

"A Womack" wrote in message
Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

Alan

George

"A Womack" wrote in message
Making the carcass for a set of file cabinets and a curio to set on top.
Will have a cherry face frame and cherry drawer fronts. I would like the
carcass inside to at least look a bit cherry.

Would like some brand/color/type recomendations from the pro's out here on
the wreck to get a decent tint to the baltic birch.

So Minwax cherry stain at Home Depot or ??

Experiment. Remember that what your cherry is now is not what it will
become.

Minwax Red Mahogany is the best I've found for solid birch. Might be a bit
to intense on peeled stock.

George

"Peter" wrote in message
I just did my library with birch cabinets and cherry face frames and

doors.
I finished it with Bartley's Pennsylvania Cherry stain and varnish. A

detail
picture he

http://www.wwest.net/~keely/woodworking/library.htm

So what's the LN scrub doing there instead of in the shop?

igor

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:48:57 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

Experiment. Remember that what your cherry is now is not what it will
become.

Sounds like something my Dad once told me.

srwood

I would experiment with a cherry gel stain. I've used in the past and
have got good results

George

Looks like my L/N, less some miscellaneous scratches and sap stains.