bob

Default make your own plywood?

I need some white mahogany plywood for the back of a cabinet I'm building
out of white mahogany. Well, you can't buy WM plywood. So, what if I resaw
and plane some stock down to 1/8", then glue it on to a 1/8" luaun plywood?
Will that work? Any problems with separation? How should I go about
glueing it down on that thin stock? Can't clamp it very easily.

I've heard of this being done, but I've never attempted it, until now. My
back needs to be 44 inches long, so gluing up a solid panel of thin stock
would be difficult.

Thanks.

Mark Jerde

bob wrote:

How should I go about glueing it down on that thin stock? Can't
clamp it very easily.

For glue, use gravity. g When I glued two sheets of particle board
together for a workbench top I laid them on the floor and put books, bricks,
barbell weights and other heavy stuff on them. Still using it 4 +/- years
later.

-- Mark

Unisaw A100

OK, I'll bite. What is white mahogany?

UA100

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:50:32 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

I need some white mahogany plywood for the back of a cabinet I'm building
out of white mahogany. Well, you can't buy WM plywood. So, what if I resaw
and plane some stock down to 1/8", then glue it on to a 1/8" luaun plywood?

I'd look for ready-cut veneer of a suitable face timber, rather than
trying to make my own,

Making plywood from scratch is hard, but surface veneering ready-made
ply (or MDF) is common practice and some pretty easy veneering. Do
both sides equally to "balance" it, or you may get warping problems.

Don't use contact cement. I'ts just about usable for small pieces
(although I wouldn't) but for a large piece you'll never get it on
straight before it sticks firmly into place. Use hot hide glue
instead, the traditional and still the best. The "stick" behaviour as
it goes on hot and chills is about the best behaviour I've yet found
for veneering. I'd suggest a veneer hammer, rather than a roller, but
that's a personal thing.
--
Smert' spamionam
George

There, it's said. Each side needs help.

You can use a fiber product for the substrate versus plywood, make for an
easier job, and make contact cement a better choice. If you do ply, remember
to cross the grain, and hide glue is really a better bet than contact cement
there.

wrote:

[...]

bob

It is actually "primavera", a tropical hardwood with no color, sort of like
birch. Has the same grain and other characteristics of genuine/"red"
mahogany, but is slightly harder. You can stain it any color you want,
including traditional "red" mahogany. I like it because it is easy to work
with like mahogany, but I'm not limited to the red color characteristics of
genuine mahogany. I buy this stuff by the bundle (400-600BF) for $2 BF.

http://tropicalhardwoods.com/htm/tro.../primavera.htm

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
OK, I'll bite. What is white mahogany?

UA100

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:48:22 -0500, Unisaw A100
wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What is white mahogany?

Given that mahogany is firmly in the "Anything we bought from the
importer, given a recognisable brand to make it sell" group, then the
notion of "white" mahogany isn;t that much of a surprise.

--
Smert' spamionam
Phisherman

wrote:

I need some white mahogany plywood for the back of a cabinet I'm building
out of white mahogany. Well, you can't buy WM plywood. So, what if I resaw
and plane some stock down to 1/8", then glue it on to a 1/8" luaun plywood?
Will that work? Any problems with separation? How should I go about
glueing it down on that thin stock? Can't clamp it very easily.

I've heard of this being done, but I've never attempted it, until now. My
back needs to be 44 inches long, so gluing up a solid panel of thin stock
would be difficult.

Thanks.

I have "made" ply by gluing thinner sheets together with wood glue,
then used cans of paint, water-filled gallon jugs, sand bags, weights,
and anything else to weigh them until the glue dried (at least 2-3
days). A vacuum clamp would probably be easier. Another approach is
to use contact cement and a J-roller--no clamping with this method.

Unisaw A100

Andy Dingley
Given that mahogany is firmly in the "Anything we bought from the
importer, given a recognisable brand to make it sell" group, then the
notion of "white" mahogany isn;t that much of a surprise.

Something I encountered during my "brief" career in the
stone business (marbles and granites). Though there it's
way worse.

UA100
Old Nick

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:50:32 -0500, "bob"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you're going to use contact, and have not worked with it before,
practice several times until you get it right 3 X in a row, on
something that does not matter, but is a large area as you are
doing......

I did not follow that rule and now have a (perhaps unfair) hatred of
contact. My father swears by it. I swear at it.