Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for bandsaw blades in Canada?

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

We were always taught to anneal the welds thoroughly to "soften" the
joint. Perhaps you need to discuss this with the poor quality people
making them.

--------------

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:141220111937043973%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

Surely Lee Valley sells bandsaw blades?

In any event, shipping charges through the U.S. Postal Service are
pretty reasonable -- and the last time I checked on it, Canada Post
charged a flat $5 fee for customs brokerage on anything sent through the
mail. Your biggest problem there is going to be finding a vendor that
will ship via the USPS.

If you buy something from the U.S. and have it shipped by UPS, you'll
get skinned alive: their shipping charges from the U.S. to Canada are
*much* higher than for comparable distances within the U.S., and they
charge such outrageous customs brokerage fees that they've been the
subject of at least two lawsuits in Canadian courts.

I believe that FedEx isn't quite as bad in that respect as UPS, but both
of them are much more expensive for international shipping than the USPS.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Doug Miller

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

Surely Lee Valley sells bandsaw blades?

Not the size I need (67 5/16)

In any event, shipping charges through the U.S. Postal Service are
pretty reasonable -- and the last time I checked on it, Canada Post
charged a flat $5 fee for customs brokerage on anything sent through the
mail. Your biggest problem there is going to be finding a vendor that
will ship via the USPS.

If you buy something from the U.S. and have it shipped by UPS, you'll
get skinned alive: their shipping charges from the U.S. to Canada are
*much* higher than for comparable distances within the U.S., and they
charge such outrageous customs brokerage fees that they've been the
subject of at least two lawsuits in Canadian courts.

I believe that FedEx isn't quite as bad in that respect as UPS, but both
of them are much more expensive for international shipping than the USPS.

I'm quite familiar with UPS and their usurious ways, Fedex and DHL
aren't a lot better.

Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in Saskatoon,
but I'm not familiar with their quality.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in
Saskatoon,
but I'm not familiar with their quality.

--------------------------
Can't be any worse than the local weld shop.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in
Saskatoon,
but I'm not familiar with their quality.

--------------------------
Can't be any worse than the local weld shop.

True enough...

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:15:56 -0500, Doug Miller
Surely Lee Valley sells bandsaw blades?

Lee Valley sells Viking Brand (previously identified as the Timber
Wolf brand) saw blades.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41036,41037

They also sell a line of resaw blades.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41036,41037

And, should anyone want to splice their own blades.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41036,41048
Posted to rec.woodworking

snip
Fastenal sells band saw blades??

Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in Saskatoon,
but I'm not familiar with their quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in Saskatoon,
but I'm not familiar with their quality.

As a source for hardware, sure. Quality is first-rate. Dunno whether
they sell bandsaw blades, though.

I've become fond of Olson band saw blades -- I get better results than
with Timberwolf, at about half the price.

www.olsonsaw.com

Your size isn't listed on the website, but you might ask them if it's
available anyway (or could be made).

They list three dealers in Canada; only the first one is listed as
selling band saw blades, but I'd imagine the others could order one...

House of Tools
Calgary, Alberta
Product: Scroll/Band
Phone: 800-661-3987

R&D Bandsaws
Brampton, Ont.
Product: Scroll
Phone: 800-461-3895

Stockade
Guelph, Ont.
Product: Scroll
Phone: 800-463-0920
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Michael Kenefick
wrote:

Fastenal sells band saw blades??

According to their web site, they do, but mostly metal cutting.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Doug Miller
wrote:

They list three dealers in Canada; only the first one is listed as
selling band saw blades, but I'd imagine the others could order one...

R&D Bandsaws looks like a winner... Good selection and prices for
custom welds.

Thanks, Doug.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

When I needed a bandsaw blade of a size Lee Vally did not stock, they
gave me the name of this place.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

I bought a few blades from them. I'm no expert on bandsaw blades but
from the use I've made out of them I'd say they are as good as any
I've had.

Bonus Timmies coupon to boot.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:37:04 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

http://www.bcsaw.com

Located in Toronto.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:54:28 -0800, Jim Weisgram
http://www.bcsaw.com
Located in Toronto.

I tried to have them pick up sharpen and return a tablesaw blade. They
refused because it wasn't a business address. This was a few years
ago. Don't know if they still have that policy, but one may need to go
down there in person to fill your needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

http://www.bcsaw.com

Located in Toronto.

I have an order in with R&D Bandsaws http://www.tufftooth.com

From their web page, BC Saw seems to be a supplier to manufacturers,
which I am not.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:27:42 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

wrote:

I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the
welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere
near the size I specified.

I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.

TIA...

http://www.bcsaw.com

Located in Toronto.

Originally I learned about BC Saw in Fine Woodworking, recommended by
Micheal Fortune (who lives in Ontario), but I haven't ordered from
them personally. Maybe they no longer sell retail, I don't know. But
it is easy to email them.

Michael Fortune talking about BC Saw some years back (issue 201), and
in regards to a 1/2" resaw blade:

"This type of blade only costs about $8 and can be resharpened for
about $3.50. I use BC Saw and Tool, where each order is custom made
and the welds are uniformly excellent (www.bcsaw.com). A poor weld
will compromise the performance of even the most expensive blade."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

We have many things shipped up from the US. What we have found is to avoid
UPS ground. Have it shipped overnight air. It will look expensive but in the
long run it is cheaper than ground with brokerage. Air is brokerage prepaid,
you will only be stuck with HST. Another thing we have found is if you have
it shipped to a company name, you will get a break on their billing. You
don't have to be a real company, you can make up a name, such as "[your last
name] Enterprises". In the long run if you can arrange it go with USPS which
becomes Canada Post when it crosses the border, they charge between $5.00
and $8.00 to clear customs, --- that is if they even bother with the
paperwork --- the last two shipments came across the border with no fees
due.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/16/2011 7:16 PM, EXT wrote:

In the long run
if you can arrange it go with USPS which becomes Canada Post when it
crosses the border, they charge between $5.00 and $8.00 to clear
customs, --- that is if they even bother with the paperwork --- the last
two shipments came across the border with no fees due.

Just ordered some items from thejigstore.com and they were shipped from
Canada via "Canadian Post", delivered here in Texas by USPS.

... now that I know how that works, I will be worried like hell the
next time.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article s.com,
EXT wrote:

What we have found is to avoid
UPS ground.

That's been covered in this thread already.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Source for 8" TS Blades in Canada Dan Jefferson Woodworking 4 August 7th 10 06:51 PM
Source for bandsaw blades? Nick UK diy 6 February 17th 10 08:16 PM
Yume, AZ source of bandsaw blades? mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 2 January 20th 08 12:37 AM
Source for bandsaw blades Nick UK diy 4 April 3rd 06 11:03 AM
Need source of odd size bandsaw blades... tomhooper Woodworking 11 January 12th 05 12:03 PM