Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Panels Large For A Small Table Saw

Hi,

I need to cut some 20" x 17" plywood panels on a small table saw
whose fence only goes to 12". In the past I rough cut them then
trimmed with a router. That was messy - I don't have a sawdust
vacuum system. Can someone point me to a homemade jig I can add
to the saw that will allow me to cut panels of that size?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

*Can someone point me to a homemade jig I can add
to the saw that will allow me to cut panels of that size?

Thanks,
Gary

Maybe rough cut to one inch oversized using a skill saw. Then trim one
inch using table saw. Be careful to include width of blade.

Or

Build a table out of a large piece of ply covered with hardboard to
make it slick. Maybe use saw horses. Bolt table saw under it square to
the front edge. Raise spinning blade to bring it through the top.
Clamp a 2x4 across table as fence, squared to front at 20" from blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I need to cut some 20" x 17" plywood panels on a small table saw whose
fence only goes to 12". In the past I rough cut them then trimmed with a
router. That was messy - I don't have a sawdust vacuum system. Can
someone point me to a homemade jig I can add to the saw that will allow me
to cut panels of that size?

I don't know of any "jig" to drastically expand the cutting capacity of a
tabletop saw. Most folks just clamp a straight edge to the plywood and cut
with a circular saw. In fact a lot of guys who have big table saws will do
this and use the table saw to trim to size. Make sure you have a new, sharp
plywood blade on the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

I need to cut some 20" x 17" plywood panels on a small table saw
whose fence only goes to 12". In the past I rough cut them then
trimmed with a router. That was messy - I don't have a sawdust
vacuum system. Can someone point me to a homemade jig I can add
to the saw that will allow me to cut panels of that size?

Classic way is to clamp a straight-edged board on the bottom of your
panel such that it rides agains the edge of the saw table and guides
the cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 30, 7:05*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Another technique is to use your circular saw. Throw some rigid foam
insulation on the floor and put the plywood on top of that, set the
circular depth of cut to cut the thickness of the plywood plus 1/8
inch. If you have enough floor space it probably the safest way to
cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Under the table near the edge I screwed a 2ft x 3ft peice of plywood.
Drilled & conterbored holes through the top of my 10inch cheap
benchtop.& clamp on fence.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:06:15 -0500, "Morgans"
Put your saw on the hardboard and run it down the length with the plate
guiding on the plywood. It will make a perfect cut on the extra hardboard,
which you can later line up with a line you want to cut on the panel, door,
or other piece you want to cut straight, and clamp it to the workpiece.

What you've done is almost an exact replica of the various tracksaws
on the market. Who says you can't save money if you put your mind to
it.?

http://www.festoolcanada.com/product...-circular-saws
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 00:06:15 -0500, "Morgans"
Put your saw on the hardboard and run it down the length with the plate
guiding on the plywood. It will make a perfect cut on the extra hardboard,
which you can later line up with a line you want to cut on the panel, door,
or other piece you want to cut straight, and clamp it to the workpiece.

What you've done is almost an exact replica of the Festool and DeWalt
track saws, including building difference lenghts of these jigs. Who
says you can't save money if you put your mind to it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forget the subject line and make several of
these jigs:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

I have a 50" and a 96" for plywood.

Cutting bath panels diy-newby UK diy 3 October 2nd 07 11:13 AM
1/4" plywood panels on large rail & stile doors Tom H Woodworking 22 December 8th 06 08:55 PM
Cutting plywood panels flush, advice please Lionel Woodworking 7 January 24th 06 05:01 PM
Cross cutting wide panels Highland Pairos Woodworking 20 June 3rd 05 03:08 AM
can a small round table expand to large round dining table exist? sab Woodworking 19 December 19th 04 03:08 AM