Posted to rec.woodworking
Lionel

Default Cutting plywood panels flush, advice please

A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Thanks for the help.

Lionel

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Lionel" wrote in message
.. .
A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Thanks for the help.

Lionel

Given the tool and skill situation it might be easier to add an 1/8" piece
of solid wood to the top of the back with glue and a few brads..., i.e.,
redesign it!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back?

Maybe a flush-cut saw? Granted he'd have to buy something new, but
even a nice one (i.e. Veritas by Lee Valley) isn't too expensive
($16-19, see below for link). It would take a while to go through any
significant distance of 3/4" ply, but it might be easier than
re-building the cabinets.
Andy
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...28&cat=1,42884

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mitchell

Lionel wrote:
A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back?

A plane?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Lionel" wrote in message
A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to

the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

I agree with John ... since it's on the back, the parts are already
fastened, and given the situation with tools, the better part of valor may
be to add a 1/8" thick slice of the same veneer to the top of the back ...
look around on the floor.

IOW, it would take a good deal of experience with other hand tools to not
bollox it up further.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Lionel" wrote in message
.. .

A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to

the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

Not that I've ever found myself in similar situations...

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Well then, what would you do now? If you can solve the problem early on,
surely you can solve it later on. You do know, don't you that the true mark
of a craftsman is not that he performs work flawlessly, but that he covers
his flaws better than everyone else.

How did he fasten the back and the dividers to the base? Can it be
disassembled easily? If so, take it apart and trim as appropriate. If not,
trim carefully with the saw, or get a rasp and file to fit, or perhaps a
flush cut saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

Lionel wrote:
A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Thanks for the help.

Lionel

What a silly mistake. That's never happened to me. I would have no
idea how to fix that, not even with a 1/8" rabbeting bit in a router,
to cut approximately 1/2 the thickness of that extra 1/8" on the
divider, then following up with a flush trim bit to clean up the other
1/2. But like I said, that's never happend to me.

(By the way, when you get towards the end of the divider the router
will hit the back of the cabinet leaving an inch or so of material the
bit can't reach. I clean that up with a flush trim saw or a dovetail
saw, some chisels and some sand paper.)

Good Luck!

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:59:39 -0600, "Lionel"
wrote:

A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Thanks for the help.

Lionel

With no tools to work with, a small piece of walnut cove molding or
1/4 round in the top back or top all around.