Al Kondo

Default Cutting trim for large bathroom mirror ... Need advice

I have recently painted my bathroom and wood like to put a trim on the
large bathroom mirror (36" x 30") that is on the wall. I would like
to put a trim around the mirror to make it look more finished. I
picked up moulding like material at Home Depot today. Here is the
problem.. I know that the corners need to meet at a 45degree angle
so that it squares off when finished. Is there an easy way of doing
this? I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start
cutting. As they say "measure twice, cut once". I would like to
extend that motto to "know what you're doing first". I need help.

Thanks, Al Kondo
Charlie Spitzer

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I have recently painted my bathroom and wood like to put a trim on the
large bathroom mirror (36" x 30") that is on the wall. I would like
to put a trim around the mirror to make it look more finished. I
picked up moulding like material at Home Depot today. Here is the
problem.. I know that the corners need to meet at a 45degree angle
so that it squares off when finished. Is there an easy way of doing
this? I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start
cutting. As they say "measure twice, cut once". I would like to
extend that motto to "know what you're doing first". I need help.

Thanks, Al Kondo

measure twice, and use a miter box. without a more expensive miter trimmer
and a tablesaw, it's about the best you can do. you're basically making a
picture frame. actually, if you can find one of the correct size, it'd be
easier to use that.

Jeff Wisnia

Al Kondo wrote:

I have recently painted my bathroom and wood like to put a trim on the
large bathroom mirror (36" x 30") that is on the wall. I would like
to put a trim around the mirror to make it look more finished. I
picked up moulding like material at Home Depot today. Here is the
problem.. I know that the corners need to meet at a 45degree angle
so that it squares off when finished. Is there an easy way of doing
this? I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start
cutting. As they say "measure twice, cut once". I would like to
extend that motto to "know what you're doing first". I need help.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Take the molding and the *accurate* dimensions of your mirror to a local
picture framing shop and talk nice to the folks there. They've got
guillotine shearing machines which make fast work of making very smooth 45
degree cuts. They can probably give you some assistance with
nailing/gluing the corner joints too.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone
to place the blame on."