Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

Default Cutting plywood panels flush, advice please

Lionel wrote:
A friend is making a cabinet, has fastened the back and the dividers to the
base, and finds that the dividers stand about 1/8" taller than the back.
What's the best way to bring the dividers down flush with the back? His
tool selection is very limited (he's making the cabinet parts with a
circular saw and a straight edge). The material is 3/4" plywood with a
paper-thin black walnut veneer.

No, this isn't me. I would have solved the problem before I fastened the
dividers in place.

Thanks for the help.

Lionel

What a silly mistake. That's never happened to me. I would have no
idea how to fix that, not even with a 1/8" rabbeting bit in a router,
to cut approximately 1/2 the thickness of that extra 1/8" on the
divider, then following up with a flush trim bit to clean up the other
1/2. But like I said, that's never happend to me.

(By the way, when you get towards the end of the divider the router
will hit the back of the cabinet leaving an inch or so of material the
bit can't reach. I clean that up with a flush trim saw or a dovetail
saw, some chisels and some sand paper.)

Good Luck!

Chuck