Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Well I've never done that before

-------------
"Swingman" wrote in message

Anyone make a beer with nicotine in it?

Dip snuff while you drink and it will be about the same thing, maybe
even more than you want! DAMHIKT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/11 4:48 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That
is a chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout. My son introduced
this one to me and now I have an expensive habit. Prior to drinking
this beer I did not see the point in drinking beer.
This is made in a tiny brewery that did not exist 5 years ago.

My on find and a favorite is a Buffalo Bills, Blueberry Stout.

Oh man - lots of work to do on you Leon! Beer is not about chocolate, or
molasses, or coffee, or freakin' blueberryes! You've been hanging out with
the Ladies of the Garden Club too much! Flavored beers! Of all things...
Lots of work to do on you...

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

-------------
"Swingman" wrote in message

Anyone make a beer with nicotine in it?

Dip snuff while you drink and it will be about the same thing, maybe
even more than you want! DAMHIKT

Used to do that myself. Never did spit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/2011 2:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/20/11 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/20/2011 12:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/20/11 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 4:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 11/19/2011 2:13 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 1:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That is a
chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout.

That sound right up my alley. Somebody should send me one.
EHEM!
I say, SOMEBODY SHOULD SEND ME ONE!

Whare are you?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That
is a chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout. My son introduced
this one to me and now I have an expensive habit. Prior to drinking
this beer I did not see the point in drinking beer.
This is made in a tiny brewery that did not exist 5 years ago.

My on find and a favorite is a Buffalo Bills, Blueberry Stout.

Oh man - lots of work to do on you Leon! Beer is not about chocolate, or
molasses, or coffee, or freakin' blueberryes! You've been hanging out
with
the Ladies of the Garden Club too much! Flavored beers! Of all things...
Lots of work to do on you...

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Prezicely! A little more than 8% alcohol. Brewed cold, packaged cold
and sold cold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/2011 4:48 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That
is a chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout. My son introduced
this one to me and now I have an expensive habit. Prior to drinking
this beer I did not see the point in drinking beer.
This is made in a tiny brewery that did not exist 5 years ago.

My on find and a favorite is a Buffalo Bills, Blueberry Stout.

Oh man - lots of work to do on you Leon! Beer is not about chocolate, or
molasses, or coffee, or freakin' blueberryes! You've been hanging out with
the Ladies of the Garden Club too much! Flavored beers! Of all things...
Lots of work to do on you...

OBTY the Christmas Ale that gave me a headache was actually Breckenridge
Christmas Ale.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:16:35 -0500, Bill wrote:

-------------
"Swingman" wrote in message

Anyone make a beer with nicotine in it?

Dip snuff while you drink and it will be about the same thing, maybe
even more than you want! DAMHIKT

Yeah, spit your chaw into your beer while you drink it.

Win/Win!

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Guinness here or a German porter.
None of that carbonated crap. Lots of taste and body...
Mothers milk.....

On 11/20/11 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 4:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 11/19/2011 2:13 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 1:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/19/2011 11:37 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
I suppose all of us at one time or another have managed to install
the
blade backwards on our tablesaw and wondered why the hell the thing
wasn't cutting worth a damn, but I've never had it happen on my
bandsaw
before. I was uncoiling a 1/4" blade from storage and somehow I
managed
to get the thing turned inside out, and it never occurred to me to
check
the direction of the teeth while installing it. Come ON, no blade
could
possibly be THAT dull!

Be careful out there. :-)

I'm blaming it all it on Mike. I cut the birds mouth in the wrong
place
on six rafters this morning ... just what the hell was in that
Christmas
Ale??

Then again, it may have been that Texas Red Tongue Oil ...

Was he drinking Sam Adams Christmas Ale??? so was I, and ended up with
a heck
of a head ache.

Shiner Holiday Cheer is pretty darn good considering it is not a
stout.

BTY I am currently hooked on Buffalo Bills Blueberry Stout. Yes
Blueberry!

I had a headache this morning too (which is when my bandsaw was making
fun of me), and I only had that one Christmas Ale! I agree with Karl;
it's Mike's fault. I mean who in their right mind would turn a bandsaw
blade inside out?

Oddly I normally don't have a head ache after a few beers, but I tried
Samuel Aiems Christmas Ale and one bottle gave me a head ache.

It wasn't the Sam Adams that have you the headache.
It was the four *good* beers it took to get taste of Sam Adams out of
your mouth. :-)

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That is a
chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout. My son introduced this one
to me and now I have an expensive habit. Prior to drinking this beer I
did not see the point in drinking beer.
This is made in a tiny brewery that did not exist 5 years ago.

My on find and a favorite is a Buffalo Bills, Blueberry Stout.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/21/2011 6:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/11 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 4:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 11/19/2011 2:13 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 1:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That is a
chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout.

That sound right up my alley. Somebody should send me one.
EHEM!
I say, SOMEBODY SHOULD SEND ME ONE!

Mike I would gladly send you one but I visited the brewery a few weeks
ago and Buried Hatchet is brewed cold and it stays that way till you
walk out of the store with it. Now if you are willing to take a hot one
I'll gladly send one to you. From what I understand it is best not to
let them warm up and rechill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

You drink it the next morning after you realized you opened it up last night
and forgot where you put it.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

I was wondering the same thing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/11 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 4:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 11/19/2011 2:13 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/19/2011 1:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

My favorites at the moment are Southern Star, Buried Hatchet. That is a
chocolaty, coffee, molasses flavored stout.

That sound right up my alley. Somebody should send me one.
EHEM!
I say, SOMEBODY SHOULD SEND ME ONE!

Mike I would gladly send you one but I visited the brewery a few weeks
ago and Buried Hatchet is brewed cold and it stays that way till you
walk out of the store with it. Now if you are willing to take a hot one
I'll gladly send one to you. From what I understand it is best not to
let them warm up and rechill.

"Best not to let warm up" is the case for most beers, really. However,
it's often only a case of going from "spectacularly mind blowing" to
"ridiculously good tasting." :-)

Or in the case of Bud and Miller, "cold ****" to "warm ****."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Or in the case of Bud and Miller, "cold ****" to "warm ****."

Amen. And... add Coors to that list. Any kind of Coors.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/22/11 12:57 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Or in the case of Bud and Miller, "cold ****" to "warm ****."

Amen. And... add Coors to that list. Any kind of Coors.

Add pretty much any from a non-craft, beer conglomerate.... which I
think has been recently narrowed down to 2, worldwide.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of
the flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? *Scents??? *So much work to do on you guys...

* *We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. *;~) *Don't knock it till
you try it.

I have! *Vodka is not carbonated. *BTW - how in the hell do you
drink a beer that is not carbonated? *Even if it's croisan brewed,
it still is carbonated...

You drink it the next morning after you realized you opened it up
last night and forgot where you put it.

Yeuch!

--

-Mike-

The penultimate YEUCH if there's a cigarette butt in it...or so I'm
told..
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Or in the case of Bud and Miller, "cold ****" to "warm ****."

Amen. And... add Coors to that list. Any kind of Coors.

Add pretty much any from a non-craft, beer conglomerate.... which I
think has been recently narrowed down to 2, worldwide.

Exactly, If you ain't paying about $10 for a 4 or 6 pack you are
getting the stuff Beero's drink. LOL

I am finding that I prefer the oatmeal stouts, although the Buried
Hatched is a stout I am not sure which.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

What I meant to say was we go with a really toned down "hoppie" beer
with a particular smokey, chocolatey, coffee, fruity flavor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a
beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

I was wondering the same thing.

I could be wrong here but when I mention carbonation and beer and all
the beer experts, those at the brewery making the stuff, tend to correct
me and refer to the beer being hoppie. No carbonated water is used, the
hops make the fiz.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

FWIW, that Buried Hatchet is just a strong stout.
The "chocolate, or molasses, or coffee" is just a description of the
flavors and scents, not any infusions.

Flavors??? Scents??? So much work to do on you guys...

We no longer drink carbonated alcohol. ;~) Don't knock it till you
try it.

I have! Vodka is not carbonated. BTW - how in the hell do you drink a
beer
that is not carbonated? Even if it's croisan brewed, it still is
carbonated...

I was wondering the same thing.

I could be wrong here but when I mention carbonation and beer and all
the beer experts, those at the brewery making the stuff, tend to correct
me and refer to the beer being hoppie. No carbonated water is used, the
hops make the fiz.

All this stuff can be googled of course, but carbonation is a byproduct
of fermentation.... I heard a brewer refer to it as "yeast farts." The
problem is it escapes out of the liquid, unless it's sealed. Some beers
are "bottle conditioned" and left to ferment a bit longer after being
bottled. Some beers have been allowed to gas out all their carbonation
and are "charged" with CO2 or Nitrogen. I'm sure I have some details
mixed up.

I believe adding more hops at some point in the brewing process
increases alcohol content/fermentation and obviously adds bitterness.
That could be what he's referring to. AFAIK, when someone says a beer is
"hoppy" they're talking about the bitter taste and the citrusy, flowery
smell of the beer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many times the lack of temperature control makes it bitter. Brewing too
fast changes the flavour.

Natural carbonation happening on the bottle can be dangerous as in the
old days when glass bottles exploded.

-------------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2011 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:

What I meant to say was we go with a really toned down "hoppie" beer
with a particular smokey, chocolatey, coffee, fruity flavor.

Still rather lick a wet dog ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

What I meant to say was we go with a really toned down "hoppie" beer
with a particular smokey, chocolatey, coffee, fruity flavor.

Leon - Stop It! Geezus - "chocolatey"... Ugh! We're going to be seeing
you on HGTV soon, aren't we? Doing the "Mom's Special". Such a shame to
see such a good man go down this way...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 11/23/2011 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:

What I meant to say was we go with a really toned down "hoppie" beer
with a particular smokey, chocolatey, coffee, fruity flavor.

Still rather lick a wet dog ...

Yeah Swing! Maybe you can reach the boy - I can't. And, he seemed like a
pretty nice guy...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
Many times the lack of temperature control makes it bitter. Brewing
too fast changes the flavour.

Natural carbonation happening on the bottle can be dangerous as in the
old days when glass bottles exploded.

Croisan (sp?) brewing is a touchy process. It's still practiced by some
commercial and home brewers today. In yesteryear, more of the home brewing
explosions were a result of the bottles used by home brewers than by the
actual process though. It does create an increase in pressure as the
secondary fermentation takes place, and good bottles are a must, or things
can go bust.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I believe adding more hops at some point in the brewing process
increases alcohol content/fermentation and obviously adds bitterness.
That could be what he's referring to. AFAIK, when someone says a beer
is "hoppy" they're talking about the bitter taste and the citrusy,
flowery smell of the beer.

Yup - hops is a flavor ingredient. Sugar and yeast are the culprits
responsible for the alcohol content.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:41:25 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

m II wrote:
Many times the lack of temperature control makes it bitter. Brewing
too fast changes the flavour.

Natural carbonation happening on the bottle can be dangerous as in the
old days when glass bottles exploded.

Croisan (sp?) brewing is a touchy process. It's still practiced by some
commercial and home brewers today. In yesteryear, more of the home brewing
explosions were a result of the bottles used by home brewers than by the
actual process though. It does create an increase in pressure as the
secondary fermentation takes place, and good bottles are a must, or things
can go bust.

An uncle used to brew root beer in his basement. Evedently, one time he got a
little carried away with the "secondary" fermentation and he had a chain
reaction of bottles exploding. After cleaning up that mess, he always stored
the bottled brew in garbage cans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:07:53 -0600, "
wrote:

wrote:

m II wrote:
[...]

I have a home brew kit ready to go, but I have to wait until I have a
couple months of cold weather so I have somewhere cool to store the
bucket while it ferments.

I've thought about it but I'm not supposed to drink alcohol so there is little
point (I'll have some NA beer for turkey dinner in a few minutes). :-(

I used to home brew a lot in 80's & 90's but took the brewery abart
about 6 years ago or so. I'm getting ready to add 360 square ft to
the shop so maybe I'll have room again. Three 15 gallon stainless
steel vessels with screens fitted and drain valves & thermometer
welded in. All 3 have there own 35K BTU burner and they drain from
one vessel to the next as you mash & sparge and boil. Anyway the hops
are pretty much for bittering and the beginning of the mash and mostly
for the nose at the end. The temperature is generally between 150 and
158 F for extracting the sugars. Some step procecdures will start
with a lower temperature but generally with todays grains the low rest
stop isn't necessary. The high temperature destroys the enzymes that
help extract the sugars so when you are ending the mashing process you
actually kick it up to 168-170 F to stop the reaction.

Mike M