KC

Default What Finish Would be Best on Maple Flooring?

Hello All

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for
maple flooring?

It is for the kitchen in our home - a very high traffic room. Besides the
table and chairs in the eat-in kitchen, it is the hub to the other rooms in
the house. The floor was sanded and refinished 5 years ago with Minwax
polyurethane. That finish just did not wear well at all. From the very
beginning it started showing wear. The same finish was applied to oak
flooring in the home, and those floors look fine.

Is it unrealistic to expect any finish to wear well under high traffic and
with dining chairs being moved in and out from a table? We are going to sand
and refinish this floor, and would like to know which wood floor finishes
are would be most durable and retain a good appearance the longest under
these conditions?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Kenn

Daniel

People in this newsgroup have recommended Bonakemi Traffic for such
situations:
http://www.bonakemi.com/traffic.html

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for
maple flooring?

It is for the kitchen in our home - a very high traffic room. Besides the

[snip]

Bay Area Dave

Daniel wrote:

People in this newsgroup have recommended Bonakemi Traffic for such
situations:
http://www.bonakemi.com/traffic.html

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting
finish for
maple flooring?

It is for the kitchen in our home - a very high traffic room. Besides the

[snip]

as long as he doesn't mind working with a catalyst. I used
Bonakemi Mega which requires no catalyst, but has less
durability. Be sure to use their applicator pad or a
similar one.

dave

Jana

"KC" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi, Scratches are just more likely to show up on the maple because
it's lighter. Stick with oil based. I prefer Sherwin Williams brand.
One thing I like to do is start with a high gloss because it's harder
and soaks in better which will harden the wood. I skip sealer all
together. Then I follow up with two coats of whatever sheen I want.
High gloss will show scratches more than satin. AND...put sticky felt
pads under the chair legs and don't use them as a step stool!
Bay Area Dave

Jana wrote:

"KC" wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm curious why you don't use a sealer. Also, I've never
heard that high gloss soaks in better. I like to use high
gloss for all but the top coat, for maximum clarity. I'm not
arguing, mind you, I'm just curious.

dave

Jana

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...
Jana wrote:

"KC" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hi Dave, I've done it both ways but have just had better luck with
avoiding scratches that get into the wood itself when I use the high
gloss as the first coat. The high gloss is so much thinner than the
satin and seems to me to soak in and harden the wood. The sealer acts
as a primer that stays on the surface. The sealer does make the finish
more even on the second coat but by the third it's all the same.
Especially with the hard maple. Jana
Bay Area Dave

Jana wrote:

"KC" wrote in message ...

[...]

thanks for the clarification of why you omit the sealer,
Jana. Can't argue with success!

dave

Mike

"KC" wrote in message ...
Hello All

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for
maple flooring?

Street shoe

Bay Area Dave

"KC" wrote in message

[...]

slip slidin' away...

dave

tweaked

There are no better hard finishes formulated for floors than Basic Coatings
Street Shoe and Bona Kemi Traffic.

None.

I have seen kitchen floors I did ten years ago with growing kids which have
done quite well under Street Shoe.

You will get a different look than oil, less ambering, much cleaner
looking(a matter of taste). If you prefer the ambered look, use an oil
sealer or quick dry oil poly first.

The cleaner you keep your floor the longer it will last. Grit acts like
sandpaper. Your chair leegs need to be protected.