Bay Area Dave

Default What Finish Would be Best on Maple Flooring?

Jana wrote:

"KC" wrote in message ...

Hello All

I'd like to know what would be the most durable, longest lasting finish for
maple flooring?

It is for the kitchen in our home - a very high traffic room. Besides the
table and chairs in the eat-in kitchen, it is the hub to the other rooms in
the house. The floor was sanded and refinished 5 years ago with Minwax
polyurethane. That finish just did not wear well at all. From the very
beginning it started showing wear. The same finish was applied to oak
flooring in the home, and those floors look fine.

Is it unrealistic to expect any finish to wear well under high traffic and
with dining chairs being moved in and out from a table? We are going to sand
and refinish this floor, and would like to know which wood floor finishes
are would be most durable and retain a good appearance the longest under
these conditions?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Kenn

Hi, Scratches are just more likely to show up on the maple because
it's lighter. Stick with oil based. I prefer Sherwin Williams brand.
One thing I like to do is start with a high gloss because it's harder
and soaks in better which will harden the wood. I skip sealer all
together. Then I follow up with two coats of whatever sheen I want.
High gloss will show scratches more than satin. AND...put sticky felt
pads under the chair legs and don't use them as a step stool!

I'm curious why you don't use a sealer. Also, I've never
heard that high gloss soaks in better. I like to use high
gloss for all but the top coat, for maximum clarity. I'm not
arguing, mind you, I'm just curious.

dave