Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3d printers and woodworking

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer, and I was just
wondering if any other woodworkers had used one? I'm thinking it
would compliment the woodshop in that would allow me to easily make
those finicky little things that seem to take forever otherwise
(clasps, pulls, specialized shelf-supports, runners, jig parts, etc).
Of course I haven't gotten one yet, and I really can't tell how strong/
accurate these things are but I'd love to hear from someone who's
ahead of me in this

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
John typed:
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer,
and I was just wondering if any other woodworkers had
used one? I'm thinking it would compliment the woodshop
in that would allow me to easily make those finicky
little things that seem to take forever otherwise
(clasps, pulls, specialized shelf-supports, runners, jig
parts, etc). Of course I haven't gotten one yet, and I
really can't tell how strong/ accurate these things are
but I'd love to hear from someone who's ahead of me in
this

John

What do you mean by a 3-D printer? One that prnts in 3-D or one that will
actually model somethng in real world the object beng printed (sort of an
NCS output bed? The latter are very expensive and the former you still need
the colored glasses to see the 3-D. Or have I missed completely?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:15:23 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
John typed:
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer,
and I was just wondering if any other woodworkers had
used one? I'm thinking it would compliment the woodshop
in that would allow me to easily make those finicky
little things that seem to take forever otherwise
(clasps, pulls, specialized shelf-supports, runners, jig
parts, etc). Of course I haven't gotten one yet, and I
really can't tell how strong/ accurate these things are
but I'd love to hear from someone who's ahead of me in
this

John

What do you mean by a 3-D printer? One that prnts in 3-D or one that will
actually model somethng in real world the object beng printed (sort of an
NCS output bed? The latter are very expensive and the former you still need
the colored glasses to see the 3-D. Or have I missed completely?

3D printers print incredibly thin layers of glue and spread a layer of
whatever "powder" they build with on the laid down glue lines.

This allows you to build something in very thin, finely detailed
layers.

How strong/durable the end product will be is determined by the
materials used (glue and powder).

Never played with one of these, but you can find demos on youtube and
there's a "How It's Made" or "How Do They Do It" episode that shows a
3D printer used to make a model of something (memory is the second
thing to go; don't remember what's first ;-)

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2011 3:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:15:23 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
typed:
[...]

that's only one way. there's others. i've seen 3d printers work in
metals and glass which require additional processing afterwards
(sintering), along with various types of plastic powders.

This allows you to build something in very thin, finely detailed
layers.

How strong/durable the end product will be is determined by the
materials used (glue and powder).

Never played with one of these, but you can find demos on youtube and
there's a "How It's Made" or "How Do They Do It" episode that shows a
3D printer used to make a model of something (memory is the second
thing to go; don't remember what's first ;-)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT 3d printers and woodworking

On 10/5/2011 4:42 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 10/5/2011 3:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:15:23 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

In
,
typed:
[...]

Here's one of the most interesting applications I've seen - marrying a
3D printer to an ultrasound machine to "print" an accurate replica of an
unborn child.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...orn-child.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

The anti-cloning crew will be ****ed at that one.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 9:03*pm, John wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer, and I was just
wondering if any other woodworkers had used one? *

Yes, I live near the UK epicenter of DIY 3D printing, and I still
don't have one.

3D printing means either a commercial machine ($$$), using Shapeways
as a bureau service (you really should give this one a try) or else a
Makerbot. A few people, a friend of mine included, are also doing DIY
laser sintering, but this is an exercise in geekery, not a credible
way to make anything (even to the extent of a Makerbot).

The Makerbot is a hot-melt glue gun, attached to an XY table. It
squirts ABS plastic and makes robust lumps of ABS, slowly. It has long
sucked. The finished prints are lumpy and ugly, and did I mention that
whole thing with the slowness? You can't wait for anything big, you
can't get a surface to make anything small with a useful finish.

However it has now changed. The new Mk7 extruder head for the Makerbot
is not only better controlled (the stepper motor that appeared
recently) but it's now working with a filament that has a quarter of
the previous deposition rate - so surface finish is now becoming
useful. The ability to build "diagonally" is also improved. so the old
promise of being able to make large hollow shapes is starting to look
realistic. Speed is still an issue, and the thinner filament doesn't
help that, but at least now you can make something worth having at the
end.

I'm now thinking once more about getting a Makerbot. This is just for
the geek points, because I'm not going to try and justify it as being
in any way useful.

If you're into this stuff, also take a look at Thingiverse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer, and I was just
wondering if any other woodworkers had used one? I'm thinking it
would compliment the woodshop in that would allow me to easily make
those finicky little things that seem to take forever otherwise
(clasps, pulls, specialized shelf-supports, runners, jig parts, etc).
Of course I haven't gotten one yet, and I really can't tell how strong/
accurate these things are but I'd love to hear from someone who's
ahead of me in this

John

John,

Take a look at the following links.

www.objet.com and www.zcorp.com

The first link is for actual 3D printers and the second one is a company
that was highlighted on an episode of This Old House. The homeowner for the
project actually works there or is the owner and printed a 3D scale model of
his addition in color. He also showed a model of a gadget with working gears
that required no assembly. The reason being that the prototype is printed in
layers, so each "part" is actually a separate component as it gets printed.

If any of this is the real deal, then they've come a long way in a
relatively short period of time. I had seen similar printers in the past
elsewhere, but with nowhere near this capability.

Just think of the possibilities. I can't count how many times I've had to
trash a perfectly good item simply due to a broken "plastic" part. Of
course, we no longer fix anything anymore in our disposable society. Maybe
this is just what we need? It may not be ready for primetime just yet, but
it's getting there.

Hopefully, some of the SketchUp and CNC gurus here in the group will provide
some feedback. I'd be interested in their comments.

The usual disclaimer applies, as I have no affiliation with either company
etc., I simply find it fascinating. Hope you find it of interest too.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 8:45 AM, Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Have you priced any of this equipment yet??? I am clueless about what
it would cost. If it is still expensive, I would not suggest buying one
for the sake of being able to repair something because of a broken part.

I would think that a 3D printer is probably going to be way more
expensive than tossing a broken item because of a broken part and buying
new. You also have to consider the expense of actually running the
printer after getting one. Ink is not cheap, I suspect the materials
used in a 3D printer will not be either. And will those repair parts
you make be tough enough to replace the part your are replacing?

Now if you "just want one" go for it! BUT don't buy one on the
assumption that it will save you money.

OK.....Now I see that a desk top model starts at about about $20K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Have you priced any of this equipment yet??? I am clueless about what
it would cost. If it is still expensive, I would not suggest buying
one for the sake of being able to repair something because of a broken
part.

I would think that a 3D printer is probably going to be way more
expensive than tossing a broken item because of a broken part and
buying new. You also have to consider the expense of actually running
the printer after getting one. Ink is not cheap, I suspect the
materials used in a 3D printer will not be either. And will those
repair parts you make be tough enough to replace the part your are
replacing?

Now if you "just want one" go for it! BUT don't buy one on the
assumption that it will save you money.

OK.....Now I see that a desk top model starts at about about $20K.

What's $20K for a part for a $100 model locomotive? ;-)

There's one available called RepRap that's a DIY sort of 3D printer. It
looks to run less than the $1K mark for a kit. Media is on the order of
$10-20 per pound, however far a pound of plastic media goes.

I didn't look at tolerances or much else, so I don't know if it could
make an exact duplicate of a gear or something like that.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2011 10:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

May be you could buy a printer, disassemble it and print all the parts
of the printer several times, and make new printers!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Cloning has been outlawed in many countries!

---------

"Leon" wrote in message
May be you could buy a printer, disassemble it and print all the parts
of the printer several times, and make new printers!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

May be you could buy a printer, disassemble it and print all the parts
of the printer several times, and make new printers!

One of the things the guy who invented the RepRap encourages is printing
another set of parts to sell/give away/distribute. Even if you had all the
printed parts, I'm sure the control boards and motors would still require a
several hundred dollar investment.

Puckdropper

Inkjet printers ng_reader Home Repair 64 January 31st 11 02:46 PM
Printers Snap Whipcrack.............. Electronics Repair 18 March 14th 07 04:53 AM
Printers Ken G. Electronics Repair 0 March 11th 07 04:39 PM
Printers Dave Home Repair 5 November 11th 06 01:19 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM