Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 3d printers and woodworking

On 10/21/2011 8:45 AM, Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:
wrote in message
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer, and I was just
wondering if any other woodworkers had used one? I'm thinking it
would compliment the woodshop in that would allow me to easily make
those finicky little things that seem to take forever otherwise
(clasps, pulls, specialized shelf-supports, runners, jig parts, etc).
Of course I haven't gotten one yet, and I really can't tell how strong/
accurate these things are but I'd love to hear from someone who's
ahead of me in this

John

John,

Take a look at the following links.

www.objet.com and www.zcorp.com

The first link is for actual 3D printers and the second one is a company
that was highlighted on an episode of This Old House. The homeowner for the
project actually works there or is the owner and printed a 3D scale model of
his addition in color. He also showed a model of a gadget with working gears
that required no assembly. The reason being that the prototype is printed in
layers, so each "part" is actually a separate component as it gets printed.

If any of this is the real deal, then they've come a long way in a
relatively short period of time. I had seen similar printers in the past
elsewhere, but with nowhere near this capability.

Just think of the possibilities. I can't count how many times I've had to
trash a perfectly good item simply due to a broken "plastic" part. Of
course, we no longer fix anything anymore in our disposable society. Maybe
this is just what we need? It may not be ready for primetime just yet, but
it's getting there.

Hopefully, some of the SketchUp and CNC gurus here in the group will provide
some feedback. I'd be interested in their comments.

The usual disclaimer applies, as I have no affiliation with either company
etc., I simply find it fascinating. Hope you find it of interest too.

Peter.

Have you priced any of this equipment yet??? I am clueless about what
it would cost. If it is still expensive, I would not suggest buying one
for the sake of being able to repair something because of a broken part.

I would think that a 3D printer is probably going to be way more
expensive than tossing a broken item because of a broken part and buying
new. You also have to consider the expense of actually running the
printer after getting one. Ink is not cheap, I suspect the materials
used in a 3D printer will not be either. And will those repair parts
you make be tough enough to replace the part your are replacing?

Now if you "just want one" go for it! BUT don't buy one on the
assumption that it will save you money.

OK.....Now I see that a desk top model starts at about about $20K.