Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer slides

I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow
the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal.
Any ideas?

TIA

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 6:19 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow
the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal.
Any ideas?

TIA

Larry

Self closing usually have a some type of stop whether it is the slide or
the cabinet face frame and drawer front coming together.

If you remove any stop the drawer would continue to go through and fall
out the other side.

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a
pair of wooden races that has no stops.

Or super strong magnets at the middle of the drawer and middle of the
cabinet that attract each other.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:19:13 -0500, Gramp's shop
wrote:

I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow
the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal.
Any ideas?

Accuride makes them. (Disclaimer: I haven't yet used them.)

http://www.drawerslides.com/c/two-wa...-drawer-slides

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/27/2011 6:19 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow
the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal.
Any ideas?

TIA

Larry

Self closing usually have a some type of stop whether it is the slide or
the cabinet face frame and drawer front coming together.

If you remove any stop the drawer would continue to go through and fall
out the other side.

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a
pair of wooden races that has no stops.

Once it's loaded up, it might feel a little heavier than normal, huh?
It might even be a little unsettling to hear vibrations across the
counter when opening the drawer. That being said, it's an interesting
concept.

Or super strong magnets at the middle of the drawer and middle of the
cabinet that attract each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a
pair of wooden races that has no stops.

I did something like that for a quilting table. The table was large for
cutting fabrics on. I had a number of vertical supports underneath. I just
put some wood runners, for the drawers, across the whole thing underneath
the top. I built a number of drawers, really long ones. With handles on
each end. I waxed up the runners and drawer sides. Everything worked just
fine. As long as the drawers were not over filled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that
allow the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would
be ideal. Any ideas?

As Larry says, Accuride makes them.

If you prefer to make them, you could stop the drawers the same way they do
on boats: drop drawers.

Those require an overlay front and a face frame. A small piece, tapered in
thickness (a wedge), is glued in the front center of the drawer bottom - in
your case, at both ends - leaving a space between it and the drawer front
equal to the thickness of the face frame + a bit.

When I made them, I used wedges about 2"x2" with the thick edge about 1/4".
It is handy to afix rollers to the back corners of the drawers (in your
case, the center). The wooden slides are set low enough so that when the
drawer is closed, the front will drop down locking it against the face
frame. To open, lift so the wedge clears the FF and pull.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 9:14 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a
pair of wooden races that has no stops.

I did something like that for a quilting table. The table was large for
cutting fabrics on. I had a number of vertical supports underneath. I
just put some wood runners, for the drawers, across the whole thing
underneath the top. I built a number of drawers, really long ones. With
handles on each end. I waxed up the runners and drawer sides. Everything
worked just fine. As long as the drawers were not over filled.

I actually built a table to go between our recliners, it has a magazine
rack on each side and 4 drawers in the middle that slide all the way
through from the front to the back side. The drawer can be opened or
removed from either side.

Speaking of quilting tables, I recently completed one for my wife, it
has 2 pull out extension surfaces similar to the one you set a type
writer on, on a desk. These extension surfaces can be pulled out and
extended from either side.

Then there is the tower bed project where all of the under bed drawers
can be pulled out from either side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2011 6:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/27/2011 6:19 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow
the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal.
Any ideas?

TIA

Larry

Self closing usually have a some type of stop whether it is the slide or
the cabinet face frame and drawer front coming together.

If you remove any stop the drawer would continue to go through and fall
out the other side.

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a
pair of wooden races that has no stops.

Or super strong magnets at the middle of the drawer and middle of the
cabinet that attract each other.

I have used rare earth magnets to hold wooden glass display cabinet
doors onto cabinets rather than hinge the doors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.drawerslides.com/c/two-wa...-drawer-slides

Two Way Travel Drawer Slides

Two way travel drawer slides offer the unique ability to travel in
both directions. This feature allows access from both sides of the
installation. These slides generally offer a center detent to maintain
its centered position while closed. Two way travel drawer slides
typically offer ¾ extension of the slide rails in either direction and
works well for use with pass-through shelving, kitchen islands or
medical carts. The Accuride 2002 boasts a 50lb load capacity and is
available in lengths from 12” to 28”. The Accuride 2002 is also RoHS
green certified drawer slide which helps keep the environment from
being damaged during the manufacturing process.

Accuride 0363 two way travel

Full extension from center point in both directions.
..85" [21.6 mm] cross section thickness.
Tested to 80,000 cycles.
Available lengths: 16", 20", 24", and 28" [400 mm, 500 mm, 600 mm, 700
mm].
Clear zinc finish.

Accuride 2002

Two way travel
50 LB capacity
3/4 extension
For drawers up to 12" wide
Lengths 12"-28"
Works well on pass-through shelves, kitchen islands and medical carts

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 7:19*pm, Gramp's shop wrote:
Can you afford 200 plus? Per drawer?

[...]

28" Accuride 0363 Drawer Slide [Zinc]
Model: AC0363-C28
Price: $259.00

Looking for 2 Way Drawer Slides Upscale Woodworking 3 January 21st 11 04:27 PM
Drawer Slides Jim Brown Woodworking 4 November 15th 07 12:33 AM
Drawer slides skulde13 Home Repair 3 January 12th 06 03:30 PM
Drawer slides [email protected] Woodworking 24 January 9th 06 05:10 PM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM