Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Walnut Tree - What to do with it?

OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

Question is, what do I do with the sections of tree that I've cut up/
out in opes of using them for a project?

Do I de-bark them first? How should I store the logs? Or, should I cut
them "wet?"

The tree has been down for three months or so and if I don't do
something it will be very expensive firewood.

Can they be stored outside - under some tin roofing, say? Or o they
need to be in an enclosed structure? (Hopefully not heated or air-
conditioned as there is no room in the house!

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/17/2011 1:46 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill

Call Wood-Mizer Customer Service 800.525.8100. They can put you in touch
with owners of their mills who are in your area.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote in news:3d28db8c-e12f-4644-
:

OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

Question is, what do I do with the sections of tree that I've cut up/
out in opes of using them for a project?

Do I de-bark them first? How should I store the logs? Or, should I cut
them "wet?"

The tree has been down for three months or so and if I don't do
something it will be very expensive firewood.

Can they be stored outside - under some tin roofing, say? Or o they
need to be in an enclosed structure? (Hopefully not heated or air-
conditioned as there is no room in the house!

Thanks.

I'm just getting into doing this myself, so please understand some of the
theory and advice is that of a newbie. I'm working with pine, and
decided to cut the logs into boards while still green. Thinner lumber
will dry to a usable state faster than thicker ones.

Wood will move and shrink as it dries, and the goal is to keep it in one
piece and prevent it from checking and splitting. Many people recommend
coating the ends with various materials (Latex paint, Polyethylene
glycol, DAGS for more) to reduce moisture movement through that point. I
used latex paint on my pine, and most of the boards still look good.

The various sources on drying green wood I've seen have recommended
storing it outside under a roof or tarp. Good airflow between boards is
essential to drying without moisture related problems. Debark the boards
before storing. (I usually remove the loose bark with a hatchet and cut
the rest off after cutting the log. Some say it will dull your blade
faster and they're probably right. It's just too much work to remove it
first.)

I've got a bandsaw with riser kit, and this blade:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx The 1
HP motor handles resawing 10-11" logs, but it's just about at it's limit.
An outfeed table is essential. I used a piece of angle steel and
melamine shelving to make mine.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:46:57 AM UTC-7, Hoosierpopi wrote:
OK, I cut it down ...
Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

It won't saw well when wet, of course, and you CANNOT dry a whole
log. So, if your search for a porta-mill doesn't bear fruit
soon, you will have to at least split it into halves or
quarters (that takes the worst of the stresses out of drying),
and paint/wax the endgrain so it dries without checking.

De-barking and lopping of branches is a start. It might
be possible (depends on grain) to tack a board on and guide
a circular saw to kerf the log and start the split.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

You could split the logs into quarters, or more, before using your
bandsaw... that would allow you to work with longer, lighter pieces.

Debark first... sticker and air dry afterwards under cover with good
ventilation.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had to cut my free gotten wood once when the power company cut a few
walnut trees down. They unfortunately cut them in less than 5 foot
lengths, so no one would come to cut it. Too short ...

I cut while wet, it was a nasty job. They were heavy because of being
wet. The walnut was beautiful , purple, and colorful.

I would not do it again. it was too much work. I had to make wedges to
hold the wood open. An infeed and outfeed table, I made a log sled but
abandoned that. I just used a chalk line. If I did do it again, I would
try a chain saw method. Lots of waste, but less heavy work.

Good luck in whatever you do. If it is large enough there will be
someone with a mill somewhere.

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

You could split the logs into quarters, or more, before using your
bandsaw... that would allow you to work with longer, lighter pieces.

Debark first... sticker and air dry afterwards under cover with good
ventilation.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

Question is, what do I do with the sections of tree that I've cut up/
out in opes of using them for a project?

Do I de-bark them first? How should I store the logs? Or, should I cut
them "wet?"

The tree has been down for three months or so and if I don't do
something it will be very expensive firewood.

Can they be stored outside - under some tin roofing, say? Or o they
need to be in an enclosed structure? (Hopefully not heated or air-
conditioned as there is no room in the house!

1. Cut them into boards now. If you have logs too large in diameter for
your band saw, there are rip blades for chain saws.

2. After you cut into boards, there will be very little bark, just on the
edges. Leave or remove. Treat the ends with something - parafin, paint,
even BLO - to retard moisture loss there.

3. Store outside, covered and stickered, and wait a year per inch thickness
of board.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

Just curious...., what does "stickered" mean?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/17/11 6:14 PM, RogerT wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

sticks between boards so the sir can flow.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 2:03*pm, Doug Miller
wrote:
On 9/17/2011 1:46 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill

Call Wood-Mizer Customer Service 800.525.8100. They can put you in touch
with owners of their mills who are in your area.

Thanks - will try that Monday!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got a bandsaw with riser kit, and this blade:http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...blade.aspx*The 1
HP motor handles resawing 10-11" logs, but it's just about at it's limit. *
An outfeed table is essential. *I used a piece of angle steel and
melamine shelving to make mine.

Puckdropper

Thank you. Good information. Will have to find a larger BS tan my 14"
Delta for sure!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 2:56*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:46:57 AM UTC-7, Hoosierpopi wrote:

"tack a board on and guide a circular saw to kerf the log and start
the split."

Good idea. I've, of course, got a chain saw so . . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 6:14*pm, "RogerT" wrote:

" what does "stickered" mean?"

Separating the pieces of wood with "sticks" to allow air flow about
the stacked lumber to promote more even drying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote in
:

Thank you. Good information. Will have to find a larger BS tan my 14"
Delta for sure!

If you're motor's up to it, your 14" can use a riser block for that extra
height. Unless you desire a color match, many riser blocks are compatible
with other bandsaws. I've got a Powermatic riser on my Jet. (My sister
refers to it as a "band aid" because of the yellow strip around the green
column.)

Puckdropper