Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Walnut Tree - What to do with it?

I had to cut my free gotten wood once when the power company cut a few
walnut trees down. They unfortunately cut them in less than 5 foot
lengths, so no one would come to cut it. Too short ...

I cut while wet, it was a nasty job. They were heavy because of being
wet. The walnut was beautiful , purple, and colorful.

I would not do it again. it was too much work. I had to make wedges to
hold the wood open. An infeed and outfeed table, I made a log sled but
abandoned that. I just used a chalk line. If I did do it again, I would
try a chain saw method. Lots of waste, but less heavy work.

Good luck in whatever you do. If it is large enough there will be
someone with a mill somewhere.

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
OK, I cut it down when, according to my "woodsman" neighbor, the moon
was right.

Now, since I can't find anyone with a portable mill or anyone willing
to transport and mill the logs, I thought to try and save as much as I
could reasonably expect to get on my band saw to make boards.

You could split the logs into quarters, or more, before using your
bandsaw... that would allow you to work with longer, lighter pieces.

Debark first... sticker and air dry afterwards under cover with good
ventilation.

John