Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Decking Prices?

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding a deck and have posted some other
questions. Thanks again to those who responded.

In shopping around for decking material, I found a place called Uncle
Hilde's Lumber Outlet that is located in New Hampshire. Has anyone here had
any experience, either good, bad, or indifferent, with them?

Out of necessity, I'm shopping price and was surprised at the low prices
that they are showing for the ironwoods such as Ipe, Meranti, or Tigerwood.
I thought that I had read on their site that the reason for their low prices
was due to the fact that the decking only comes in 8 ft. lengths. Upon
closer scrutiny, I can't seem to find where I read that.

In my case, I need to cover a 16' wide X 20' long deck. The 20' dimension
runs parallel to the house. Ideally, 20' long deck boards would do the job,
but at a substantially higher cost. I believe that Advantage Lumber, another
site that I looked at, adds an up charge of $1 per linear ft. for boards
over 19' and 20'. Too much for my budget.

It was suggested that I split the area into basically two 16' X 10' sections
by installing a center deck board perpendicular to the house and then
covering the two sections with 10' long deck boards. Not a bad idea. Another
suggestion was to go with 12' and 8' deck boards and stagger the joints.
That would work too, I suppose, however, I like the first suggestion better.

I also looked for some sort of calculator to see if I could play around with
various deck board sizes (both lengths & widths) and layouts, but couldn't
find one. Perhaps one doesn't exist.

Any feedback posted to the group would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in
eb.com:

[...]

If I remember correctly, we made our first home's deck with 4 sections.
We had a kitchen door roughly in the middle, and there I laid the boards
diagonally in a V pattern going away from the door. Boards perpendicular
to the width separate the V-section from the 2 sides where the boards ran
parallel to the house. It provided a bit of a pattern to break the
monotony of the large deck.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message
[...]

==================

One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks

like:

16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at
each

or better yet

16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with
larger gaps between repetitive rows.

Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look
like it was meant to be that way by design.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eric" wrote

One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks

like:

16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at
each

or better yet

16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with
larger gaps between repetitive rows.

Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look
like it was meant to be that way by design.
--
Eric
That is how I would do it. I have to admit that I am somewhat anal about
keeping the pattern breaks going.

-- Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message ...

"Eric" wrote

One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks

like:

16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at
each

or better yet

16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with
larger gaps between repetitive rows.

Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look
like it was meant to be that way by design.
--
Eric
That is how I would do it. I have to admit that I am somewhat anal about
keeping the pattern breaks going.

-- Jim in NC

===============

Yeah start a pattern like that and have to break it! It looks like hell to
me.

(maybe `hell` should have a capital on it)

--

Eric

Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive Mike P UK diy 12 July 4th 07 01:59 PM
Decking Dave UK diy 3 June 9th 07 12:57 PM
IPE as decking material goaway Woodworking 18 May 30th 07 09:13 PM
Decking [email protected] UK diy 8 May 9th 07 12:19 AM
Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM