Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finally! My new router arrived!

Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to
take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to
use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to
order any bits... dumass me.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to
take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to
use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to
order any bits... dumass me.

I got one not too long ago too. I take it that, during the last 8
months, you looked at at least one book on using routers. I did a quick
review before I used mine. Make sure the cord is clear and free before
you flip the switch.. and have fun! I only mention that because once I
caught myself standing on the cord...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 09:10:15 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to
take the plunge and ordered it.

Hmm, I thought the DW618 was a fixed-base router. ;-)

It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to
use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to
order any bits... dumass me.

Even HomeDespot can fix that. You might also look around for a "D-handle"
base for it. I find they're a lot more useful (controllable), for a fixed
base router, than the knobs on the side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to
take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to
use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to
order any bits... dumass me.

I got one not too long ago too. I take it that, during the last 8
months, you looked at at least one book on using routers. I did a quick
review before I used mine. Make sure the cord is clear and free before
you flip the switch.. and have fun! I only mention that because once I
caught myself standing on the cord...

Bill

I've used an old Craftsman router for years. I love this soft start
feature, I can tell you that already!

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2011 12:33 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/6/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to
take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to
use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to
order any bits... dumass me.

I got one not too long ago too. I take it that, during the last 8
months, you looked at at least one book on using routers. I did a quick
review before I used mine. Make sure the cord is clear and free before
you flip the switch.. and have fun! I only mention that because once I
caught myself standing on the cord...

Bill

I've used an old Craftsman router for years. I love this soft start feature, I
can tell you that already!

Use a router with a soft-start AND an electronic brake and you'll never want to
do without either feature. My old Makita 3612C (now out of production) has
both and I love it.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

===============

Electronic brake? Ohhhhh! need a new router!!

I love the soft start but when first getting it out, for each session, I
sometimes wonder if it is not plugged in just for that second of eternity
that it takes to start up.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided
to take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't
wait to use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO!
I forgot to order any bits... dumass me.

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim

http://www.cripedistributing.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 9:31*am, "James" wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. *Finally decided
to take the plunge and ordered it. *It arrived yesterday. *I can't
wait to use it! *I think I'll order a bit or two next month. *LMAO!
I forgot to order any bits... *dumass me.

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim

http://www.cripedistributing.com/

Ditto that. I ran into Cripe on eBay a few years back. Good prices
and service.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/10/2011 8:23 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 8, 9:31 am, wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided
to take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't
wait to use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO!
I forgot to order any bits... dumass me.

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim

http://www.cripedistributing.com/

Ditto that. I ran into Cripe on eBay a few years back. Good prices
and service.

Thanks for the reply. And thank you Jim. I had missed your
recommendation until R brought it back up. Do you guys consider these
"carb tech" bits to be of pretty good quality?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 9:31 am, wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided
to take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't
wait to use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO!
I forgot to order any bits... dumass me.

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim

http://www.cripedistributing.com/

Ditto that. I ran into Cripe on eBay a few years back. Good prices
and service.

Thanks for the reply. And thank you Jim. I had missed your
recommendation until R brought it back up. Do you guys consider these
"carb tech" bits to be of pretty good quality?

I have a number of Carb Tech bits including a 7 piece raised panel
door set that I purchased at Woodworker's Warehouse about 15 years
ago. I've had no problems with any of their bits and they're still
goin' strong.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 9:31 am, wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided
to take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't
wait to use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO!
I forgot to order any bits... dumass me.

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim

http://www.cripedistributing.com/

Ditto that. I ran into Cripe on eBay a few years back. Good prices
and service.

Thanks for the reply. And thank you Jim. I had missed your
recommendation until R brought it back up. Do you guys consider these
"carb tech" bits to be of pretty good quality?

I have a number of Carb Tech bits including a 7 piece raised panel
door set that I purchased at Woodworker's Warehouse about 15 years
ago. I've had no problems with any of their bits and they're still
goin' strong.

THANKS for the reply. I think i'll try them then. I got my eye on that
set for $60. Be a good starting point.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 9:31 am, wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I also have some. I also ran across them on E-bay and I live locally so
I can visit their store all to frequently. Jim