Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet table saw arrived!!!!

I got one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/708663CK-XACTA...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi
only I purchased through Ebay seller
Timberline tools. Total cost for saw was $1300 + $149 for the mobile base =
$1449 included shipping to my house.
The carrier (Estes) was very professional. The driver arrived in a van at
1pm Friday, and we were able to slide the big box down some 2x4's right onto
the shop floor. No damage at all. Spent the afternoon Friday and a good
part of Saturday setting it up, and am very pleased with the saw with one
exception.
First thing assembled was the mobile base. Per Timberline tools
recommendation I purchased this Delta MB
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-289-M...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi
instead of the Jet MB. The Delta MB was real easy to assemble and is very
sturdy. I was able to slide the saw off the pallet and right onto the MB
myself. The saw now rolls around pretty effortlessly.
Installing the extension tables took a little time. The left side had
to be shimmed up slightly with some foil but the right side was perfect. I
have a LV straightedge and everything, including the far right side
(melamine) table extension is within a couple thou of dead flat. A hand
written inspection sheet came with the saw and it is as follows: Run out
of arbor flange - .0008" Parallelism between blade and miter slot .0028"
and Minimum blade height 3.03". I'm very pleased with the precision it was
manufactured with. Certainly good enough for woodworking.
The end cabinet and shelf under the saw installed easily. I did have to
drill some new holes in the bottom of the end cabinet to move the legs
inward some so they would fit in the Delta mobile base, but no biggie.
Also, the template the factory provides to drill the holes in the cabinet
for the lower shelf are not correct. Good thing I double checked their
measurements before drilling.
Anyway, the big disappointment is the fence. It's a Beis clone and
should work well, but the damn thing has an awful twist in it. And sadly
enough, it's the only part of the saw that was made in the USA. I plan on
calling Jet tomorrow and and see about getting a new one. I have a number
of Jet machines now and have never had a problem, but I will report back
with my customer service experience.
All said and done, the new saw is awesome. The instructions weren't the
greatest, but I'm extremely impressed with the smoothness of the hand
wheels, the finish on the cabinet and the flatness of the tables. The saw
also has a magnetic switch that controlls the 3 hp motor. It's a big step
up from my Rockwell 1.5 hp Contractors saw (although it was a good old
machine) and somehow, it seems woodworking is gonna take on a whole new
level. I will no longer fear burning up a motor ripping thick stock! Jet
3hp + WWII = Pure ripping enjoyment --dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/708663CK-XACTA...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi

recommendation I purchased this Delta MB

All said and done, the new saw is awesome. The instructions weren't
the greatest, but I'm extremely impressed with the smoothness of the hand
wheels, the finish on the cabinet and the flatness of the tables. The saw
also has a magnetic switch that controlls the 3 hp motor. It's a big step
up from my Rockwell 1.5 hp Contractors saw (although it was a good old
machine) and somehow, it seems woodworking is gonna take on a whole new
level. I will no longer fear burning up a motor ripping thick stock!
Jet 3hp + WWII = Pure ripping enjoyment --dave

I've got a Jet TS with Delta base and WWII. It is a great improvement over
the Jet contractor saw I had and that was actually pretty good! Only thing
is that when I've got volume ripping to do (100s of LF) I put a Freud rip
blade on the saw and save the WWII's more delicate teeth for other tasks. I
think you'll like it!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Jackson wrote:

Anyway, the big disappointment is the fence. It's a Beis clone and
should work well, but the damn thing has an awful twist in it. And sadly
enough, it's the only part of the saw that was made in the USA. I plan on
calling Jet tomorrow and and see about getting a new one. I have a number
of Jet machines now and have never had a problem, but I will report back
with my customer service experience.

Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the twist.
The plastic can be shimmed.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova writes:

Anyway, the big disappointment is the fence. It's a Beis clone
and should work well, but the damn thing has an awful twist in it.
And sadly enough, it's the only part of the saw that was made in the
USA. I plan on calling Jet tomorrow and and see about getting a new
one. I have a number of Jet machines now and have never had a
problem, but I will report back with my customer service experience.

Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the
twist. The plastic can be shimmed.

I got a JTAS a year ago, and the metal fence was set at 91 degrees.
Jet shipped me a new fence, with two more UHWM sides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

(snip) Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the twist.
The plastic can be shimmed.

Yes, the twist is in the metal tube itself. I removed the sides and checked
that carefully. The only way I could fix it myself is to grind the welds
off and weld a new steel tube on. More than I care to do for a brand new
fence. I contacted Jet this morning and they are sending out a new
one. --dave

"Nova" wrote in message
Dave Jackson wrote:

Anyway, the big disappointment is the fence. It's a Beis clone and
should work well, but the damn thing has an awful twist in it. And sadly
enough, it's the only part of the saw that was made in the USA. I plan
on calling Jet tomorrow and and see about getting a new one. I have a
number of Jet machines now and have never had a problem, but I will
report back with my customer service experience.

Are you sure its not just the UHMW plastic that's causing the twist. The
plastic can be shimmed.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Jackson wrote:
I got one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/708663CK-XACTA...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi
only I purchased through Ebay seller
Timberline tools. Total cost for saw was $1300 + $149 for the mobile base =
$1449 included shipping to my house.

Dave, thanks for posting this. Estes has tried to deliver mine but I've
been out of town so they will make it next Monday. It's killing me to
wait but I'll have a few weeks off to play with it and the WW show in
Buffalo is this weekend so I hope to get some toys for it. Estes told
me they'd send a lift gate and didn't ask to be paid so we'll see. I'll
let you know how my saw shows up when it gets here.