Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check Arrived...

Thanks again, your check to Rotary arrived last Last Saturday.

Jeff

P.S. If in a few weeks you receive a letter at home from the Steve
Glidden Foundation, don't chuck it out without opening it, it won't be a
solicitation, but should contain an acknowlwdgement.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oops! Was-Check Arrived...

Minor screwup on my part, not intended for this newsgroup.

Sorry,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

My news reader says you tried to send to Tholander, Jason.
Somehow, your computer sent it to alt home repair, instead.

"Click happens".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message ...

Thanks again, your check to Rotary arrived last Last
Saturday.

Jeff

P.S. If in a few weeks you receive a letter at home from the
Steve
Glidden Foundation, don't chuck it out without opening it,
it won't be a
solicitation, but should contain an acknowlwdgement.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

Thanks again, your check to Rotary arrived last Last Saturday.

Jeff

P.S. If in a few weeks you receive a letter at home from the Steve Glidden
Foundation, don't chuck it out without opening it, it won't be a
solicitation, but should contain an acknowlwdgement.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Does this mean I put a stop payment on the check?

Steve ;-0

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

Thanks again, your check to Rotary arrived last Last Saturday.

Jeff

P.S. If in a few weeks you receive a letter at home from the Steve Glidden
Foundation, don't chuck it out without opening it, it won't be a
solicitation, but should contain an acknowlwdgement.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Does this mean I put a stop payment on the check?

Steve ;-0

That "thwock" you may have heard earlier was me, giving my forehead a
"dope slap".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

My news reader says you tried to send to Tholander, Jason.
Somehow, your computer sent it to alt home repair, instead.

"Click happens".

The definition of an "oopsasecond" is the time between clicking "send"
and realizing you were inadvertently sending a copy of a private e-mail
to a newsgroup you'd been reading.

Jeff (Glad that wasn't a email to a mistress*. G)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

* Something that fits between a mister and a matress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My news reader says you tried to send to Tholander, Jason. Somehow,
your computer sent it to alt home repair, instead.

"Click happens".

The definition of an "oopsasecond" is the time between clicking "send"
and realizing you were inadvertently sending a copy of a private e-mail
to a newsgroup you'd been reading.

Jeff (Glad that wasn't a email to a mistress*. G)

My email client (Thunderbird) allows cancelling messages...very handy
feature for "why did I say that" times )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:30:40 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:
The definition of an "oopsasecond" is the time between clicking "send"
and realizing you were inadvertently sending a copy of a private e-mail
to a newsgroup you'd been reading.

That's one of the reasons I prefer a separate news client to email client
- the potential for complete screw-up is at least *slightly* less :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:37:43 -0400, "
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My news reader says you tried to send to Tholander, Jason. Somehow,
your computer sent it to alt home repair, instead.

"Click happens".

The definition of an "oopsasecond" is the time between clicking "send"
and realizing you were inadvertently sending a copy of a private e-mail
to a newsgroup you'd been reading.

Jeff (Glad that wasn't a email to a mistress*. G)

My email client (Thunderbird) allows cancelling messages...very handy
feature for "why did I say that" times )

Canceling an email will work if the person has not yet retrieved and
opened the mail.

Sample: A got at work one sent an email to "everyone" at a facility.
He failed to select the single individual. Well many were opened and
the cat was out of the bag.

Paraphrasing: "he is a Dixie blue gum, cracker-barrel dancing, spoon
playing moon cricket" In reference to "The Boss".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:46:34 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

My email client (Thunderbird) allows cancelling messages...very handy
feature for "why did I say that" times )

That might work for e-mail, but my understanding is that moments after
you send a post to a news server it gets spread to servers all over the
planet and is then impossible to "cancel" or "delete".

Can someone please tell me if I've got that right?

Jeff

My news reader help file snip.

"Rescind Usenet Post command (Action menu)
Use this command to remove a Usenet message you posted. Rescinding a
message sends a message to your news server asking it to delete the
message. This message is also passed along to the other news servers
on the Internet so that they can delete the message as well."

Now if the news message have already been retrieved - somebody will
see it before the rescind command can be honored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Oops.......my email client is what I use to post to newsgroups. I
didn't mean to say that I could cancel emails, but cancelling messages
to newsgroup works. Of course, if someone replies to a n.g. message,
and quotes, before it is cancelled, then it is there "forever".

There also used to be a way to go through Google to cancel a newsgroup
post. Haven't done that for a very long time, but it included signing
on to Google, find the message, a "cancel" link would be emailed and
then click the link....or something like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My email client (Thunderbird) allows cancelling messages...very handy
feature for "why did I say that" times )

That might work for e-mail, but my understanding is that moments after
you send a post to a news server it gets spread to servers all over the
planet and is then impossible to "cancel" or "delete".

Can someone please tell me if I've got that right?

Jeff

My news reader help file snip.

"Rescind Usenet Post command (Action menu)
Use this command to remove a Usenet message you posted. Rescinding a
message sends a message to your news server asking it to delete the
message. This message is also passed along to the other news servers
on the Internet so that they can delete the message as well."

Now if the news message have already been retrieved - somebody will
see it before the rescind command can be honored.

IIRC, most of the major news servers have ignored 'cancel' messages for
many years now. It did work like that in the old days, when usenet was
run by geeks with some sense of honor. But then breathing scum and 'bots
started canceling other people's messages, and rather than fuss with
'did not- did too', they just dropped the feature.

Anyway, so I was told. I could be wrong, I often am lately.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

IIRC, most of the major news servers have ignored 'cancel' messages
for many years now. It did work like that in the old days, when
usenet was run by geeks with some sense of honor. But then breathing
scum and 'bots started canceling other people's messages, and rather
than fuss with 'did not- did too', they just dropped the feature.

Anyway, so I was told. I could be wrong, I often am lately.

Yes, there was a spate of cancel-wars going on about a decade or so ago. As
a result, at that time, most (pretty much all) ops turned off the feature.

Once you send it to usenet, it's out there for good.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"'did not- did too'" now that's funny. I remember somebody typed "I
hope I don't get AIDS from your keyboard".

Maybe those with a newer reader can tell us if the feature is still
offered to cancel/rescind.

Waste of money if they developed it and it will not work for the user.

Anyway, so I was told. I could be wrong, I often am lately.

The last time I was wrong, I was mistaken :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check Arrived...Testing "Cancel Message"

wrote:

[...]

I'm going to post this and then cancel it. Hmmmm.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Replying to it, then going to cancel it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought it was a kid with a basketball practicing on my
house?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message
unications...

That "thwock" you may have heard earlier was me, giving my
forehead a
"dope slap".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, well. I've had some computer moments. Computers (and
high power lasers) allow you to screw up at the speed of
light. Like you say, coulda been worse.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message
eonecommunications...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My news reader says you tried to send to Tholander, Jason.
Somehow, your computer sent it to alt home repair,
instead.

"Click happens".

The definition of an "oopsasecond" is the time between
clicking "send"
and realizing you were inadvertently sending a copy of a
private e-mail
to a newsgroup you'd been reading.

Jeff (Glad that wasn't a email to a mistress*. G)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

* Something that fits between a mister and a matress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Adams, of Dilbert fame, would be able to to make a
comic about this. Well, actually, he has written of this
kind of thing in his books.

From memory: "I got a particualarly scathing email from
someone, about the boss. I opened another email that was
sent to the entire company, and pasted he headers on, then
replied to the guy and made it look like he had sent the
email to the entire company. There was a lot of panic going
on when he looked and saw what he thought he'd done."
Loosely quoted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Canceling an email will work if the person has not yet
retrieved and
opened the mail.

Sample: A got at work one sent an email to "everyone" at a
facility.
He failed to select the single individual. Well many were
opened and
the cat was out of the bag.

Paraphrasing: "he is a Dixie blue gum, cracker-barrel
dancing, spoon
playing moon cricket" In reference to "The Boss".

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Minor screwup on my part, not intended for this newsgroup.

Sorry,

Jeff

It's known as "Premature Postification", there are some
new and effective therapies for the disorder now. One
of them involves a robotic hand that slaps you upside
the head whenever you are about to do it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have much choice? Where do you get newsgroups, and
usenet as separate functions?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message

Using the same agent for news and Usenet was never a great
idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Like the furnace autowhacker that Turtle used to write
about?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
jeff_wisnia wrote:
Minor screwup on my part, not intended for this newsgroup.

Sorry,

Jeff

It's known as "Premature Postification", there are some
new and effective therapies for the disorder now. One
of them involves a robotic hand that slaps you upside
the head whenever you are about to do it.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Like the furnace autowhacker that Turtle used to write
about?

I need for for the AC compressor clutch on my little van.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Like the furnace autowhacker that Turtle used to write about?

I need for for the AC compressor clutch on my little van.

TDD

Porky Pig.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:40:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Do you have much choice? Where do you get newsgroups, and
usenet as separate functions?

That had me puzzled, too. I assume they meant mail and usenet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another wondeful example of rebuking someone by typing some
confusion and blithering.

It helps to focuss your computer on what your mind is
saying, before you type a complete sequitor. (Was that a
great example, or was it moldy bread in an airline box lunch
over Texas?)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules" wrote
in message
news On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:40:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Do you have much choice? Where do you get newsgroups, and
usenet as separate functions?

That had me puzzled, too. I assume they meant mail and
usenet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:31:49 -0400, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
Using the same agent for news and Usenet was never a great
idea.

Do you have much choice? Where do you get newsgroups, and
usenet as separate functions?

By using a dedicated Newsreader client like:

Are you using a different definiton of 'newsgroups' or 'usenet' to the
rest of the 'net? I'm not aware of newsgroup ever having been used
outside a usenet context.

Actually you originally said news, not newsgroup - but if you meant news
as in media coverage of current events, I'm not sure how that's relevant
to the discussion (or even what kind of client gives you 'news' - in
that context - and usenet via the same interface?)

Confuzzled!

cheers

J.

Lathe arrived! Bill Schwab Metalworking 12 April 5th 08 01:48 PM
Xmas arrived Capitol UK diy 0 December 20th 05 09:56 PM
De plane has arrived! David Woodworking 7 November 15th 05 02:29 AM
I have arrived! (or I'm an addict, one of the two) Mark & Juanita Woodworking 24 January 24th 05 07:53 PM