Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Hazard

In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the
size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small
piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it
wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just
plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk
all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just
shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other
location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks,
overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but
nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the
size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small
piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it
wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just
plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk
all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just
shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other
location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks,
overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but
nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.

Do you have a dust collector? A hose connected to one is good for
grabbing flying insects.

--
Gerald Ross

Aging is not bad. The real killer is
when you stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Jul 2011 08:07:52 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the
size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small
piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it
wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just
plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk
all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just
shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other
location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks,
overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but
nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.

Full face mask, muffs, and long sleeves will git-r-done, Pucky.

Alternatively, insulate the shop, install a 5kw window A/C unit, and
close the bloody door, ya foo.

P.S: It's "eradication"

P.P.S: Or try a window fly trap such as:

Rescue FTD-DB12 Disposable Fly Control Trap with Attractant
$4 online
Catches Common Nuisance and Filth Flies Includes House Flies - Blow
Flies - Flesh Flies - Face Flies and Others Powder Attactant Is
Contained Within The Trap Itself Attractant Dissolves and Activates
Quickly When Water Is Added To The Bag Trap Design Eliminates Touching
The Bait Or The Flies Completely Disposable
http://goo.gl/Gs4kg

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 3:07 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the
size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small
piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it
wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just
plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk
all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just
shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other
location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks,
overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but
nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.

So is this a riddle?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

Just a whimsical way of complaining about a fly... but if you want to use
it as such have fun.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote in
news

Do you have a dust collector? A hose connected to one is good for
grabbing flying insects.

Oh! Is that why Bill Pentz recommends the 6" hose for dust collection? To
make it easier to catch flying insects?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

[...]

Glad you clarified that. I couldn't figure out what I should be doing
different to prevent a carbide tooth flying off my saw from hitting my
sensitive parts (eyes, fingers and such - the other stuff I don't care
about anymore - hmpfff).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 7:57 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got
me, Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the

--
Gerald Ross

Aging is not bad. The real killer is
when you stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2011 11:31 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the finger
and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm serious. A
standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw teeth. Would a
big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Generally tool carbide isn't so highly polished as would be jewelry,
though...

As for the latter question I've no firm knowledge of how an EMT would
deal w/ it but I'm sure they would figure it out...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the
finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm
serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw
teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Shouda looked it up first. Duh! They use a pair of vise-grips. Nice
video on U-tube.

--
Gerald Ross

Aging is not bad. The real killer is
when you stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

You need to clean you blade!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2011 1:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

You need to clean you blade!

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Carbide-Tipped-Tooth-Woodworker/dp/B0032YUUEM

Brand new picture and the carbide tips are far less "shiny" than the
teeth they're attached to...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

You need to clean you blade!

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Carbide-Tipped-Tooth-Woodworker/dp/B0032YUUEM

Brand new picture and the carbide tips are far less "shiny" than the
teeth they're attached to...

--

I only use Forrest blades. The carbide does indeed have a shine if not
a bit of sparkle when clean and new. A picture is not going to show squat.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2011 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

You need to clean you blade!

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Carbide-Tipped-Tooth-Woodworker/dp/B0032YUUEM

Brand new picture and the carbide tips are far less "shiny" than the
teeth they're attached to...

--

I only use Forrest blades. The carbide does indeed have a shine if not a
bit of sparkle when clean and new. A picture is not going to show squat.

I don't use "only" Forrest blades but I certainly have some in the
collection.

The picture "squat" shows there's little light reflection from the
carbide tips relative to the blade body and teeth...else't if they were
"shiny" they would be the brights, not the darks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 1:59 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 1:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Even a diamond is not going to sparkle or shine with out proper light.

Try this on, it is my never been cleaned or resharpened 8 month old
WWII. The clean resharpened ones reflect even more. Notice the tooth
near the bottom. That is a reflection of the fluorescent lamp over
head. While the camera picture does not show it with the bare eye you
can see the direction that the lamps run in the reflection. Because
the teeth have flat surfaces the light has to be just right to see the
shiny surface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got
me, Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

We've got two (at least) colors of flies around here. One is your standard
black housefly (fruit fly?) and the other has a shiny gold back (a rich
one?).

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2011 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:

... Because the teeth
have flat surfaces the light has to be just right to see the shiny surface.

And, which reinforces the point--it takes a specific set of lighting
conditions hence it's not at all unusual that the other poster to whom I
responded also doesn't notice that there's much "shiny" on a carbide tip.

It's the same type of lighting selection that is used to make ordinary
steam from stacks or cooling towers frighten the gullible--in general
the blade looks much like the marketing picture I linked to rather than
anything else...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got
me, Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

We've got two (at least) colors of flies around here. One is your standard
black housefly (fruit fly?) and the other has a shiny gold back (a rich
one?).

Puckdropper

Due to the economy, we're just barely getting by on the standard one's
here. Nothing fancy.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2011 5:19 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:

... Because the teeth
have flat surfaces the light has to be just right to see the shiny
surface.

And, which reinforces the point--it takes a specific set of lighting
conditions hence it's not at all unusual that the other poster to whom I
responded also doesn't notice that there's much "shiny" on a carbide tip.

Ok you realize that the shiny that I am talking about does not produce
rather it reflects light. I had no special lighting conditions, but to
get the reflection you have to be a the proper angle from the surface. A
rotating saw blade give you s shine spot many times during a single
rotation.

If you don't understand this I give up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:27:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:11:30 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's called
"How do you keep a [insert ethnicity of choice here] in suspense?"

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Jul 2011 13:22:14 GMT, Han wrote:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
web.com:

[...]

The true ninja wooddorker uses miniature HSS shuriken blades when he
throws them at the flies. They don't lose their teeth.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:31:20 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the
finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm
serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw
teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

I vote for an induction heating unit!

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

I see why it was so hard. I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Jul 2011 05:00:28 GMT, Puckdropper

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?

I see why it was so hard. I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

Right. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then swat 'em in the dark, when they
can't see it coming.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Puckdropper says...

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

I see why it was so hard. I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

You laugh, but it's been done--irradiate fruit flies so that they're
sterile then turn them loose to mate with female fruit flies who fail to
become pregnant. It wasn't called "irradication" but I suspect that
that's because nobody thought of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? *Cool. *Animated GIF at 11?

I see why it was so hard. *I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

Right. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then swat 'em in the dark, when they
can't see it coming.

I was thinking more along the lines of a nuclear hand grenade.... It
doesn't need to be pointed out that one would need one hell of an arm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:33:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06*am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication" *

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? *Cool. *Animated GIF at 11?

I see why it was so hard. *I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

Right. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then swat 'em in the dark, when they
can't see it coming.

I was thinking more along the lines of a nuclear hand grenade.... It
doesn't need to be pointed out that one would need one hell of an arm.

Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch are just as effective and much, much
safer, I believe, as long as one knows how to count.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 10:24*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:33:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:06 am, Larry Jaques
P.S: It's "eradication"

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny
nuclear devices.

Nuke the li'l bastids, eh? Cool. Animated GIF at 11?

I see why it was so hard. I was just trying to swat the bugger, when I
needed a small nuclear reactor!

Right. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then swat 'em in the dark, when they
can't see it coming.

I was thinking more along the lines of a nuclear hand grenade.... It
doesn't need to be pointed out that one would need one hell of an arm.

Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch are just as effective and much, much
safer, I believe, as long as one knows how to count.

To three that is...not two...not four..... one of my favourite parts
of the movie.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In b.com,
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com typed:
In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop
hazard. It's about the size of a carbide tooth and just
as shiny. Rather than sending a small piece of wood
flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you
if you treat it wrong. This shop hazard may or may not
have a conscience, but is just plain mean. It'll poke
you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk all
over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing
it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at
irradication just shifts the problem to another location.
Attempts to trap it at the other location are usually met
with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks, overblade
guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards,
but nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.

And your rec.wooworking question is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Twayne" wrote in news:j0mqqt$8s2$1@dont-
email.me:

And your rec.wooworking question is?

The fly was gone last night, do you think all this discussion scared it
off?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/26/2011 5:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:j0mqqt$8s2$1@dont-
email.me:

And your rec.wooworking question is?

The fly was gone last night, do you think all this discussion scared it
off?

Probably died of old age.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the
finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm
serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw
teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

=====================

Very easily. The same as any carbide breaks, as a mason does it. Put a small
anvil on the back of it and smack it with a hardened tool tip. It shatters
with impact. This is why you protect you router bits so well.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:20:33 -0400, "Eric"
wrote:

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
m...

dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me,
Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either...

--

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny.
After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the
finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm
serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw
teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

=====================

Very easily. The same as any carbide breaks, as a mason does it. Put a small
anvil on the back of it and smack it with a hardened tool tip. It shatters
with impact. This is why you protect you router bits so well.

Catch the Youtube video that was discussed here a few days back. It's a
simple matter with Visegrips and there is no chance of taking the finger off
with it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch are just as effective and much, much
safer, I believe, as long as one knows how to count.

To three that is...not two...not four..... one of my favourite parts
of the movie.

So THAT'S where you learned to count! How nice.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Jul 2011 22:45:09 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

"Twayne" wrote in news:j0mqqt$8s2$1@dont-
email.me:

And your rec.wooworking question is?

The fly was gone last night, do you think all this discussion scared it
off?

It was likely carried off in the hot air draft created by the thread,
Pucky. Not to worry, there'll be more today.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

You are probably absorbing enough of the cobalt binder in the carbide
so the finger falls off by itself.

Smack it with a hammer it's brittle.