Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Compressor?

I need a new compressor, one that I can roll around from time to time and
than can power my 6cfm (@ 40psi) spray gun.

The best deal/CFM seems to be the 60gallon/3hp/220v Husky Pros from HD
followed by their 30gallon/2hp/120v brethren. The former is somewhat
top-heavy (perhaps even more so than a drill press) and rather averse to
motion but has plenty of output for my needs. The latter is downright agile
for my mobility needs but is a rating of 6.6cfm (40 psi) sufficient? (I
know my twin-tank Makita compressor is definitely not.)

Any relevant experience/problems with either of these options? Does anyone
keep a 60gallon compressor on a mobile base?

Cheers, Shawn

PS: The HD variants load the tank only up to 135psi, while the Lowe's
models go up to 155. I suspect the latter will cause more noise and heat
than I want to deal with, but I have no real experience on that matter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/2011 5:55 PM, RimaNeas wrote:
I need a new compressor, one that I can roll around from time to time and
than can power my 6cfm (@ 40psi) spray gun.

The best deal/CFM seems to be the 60gallon/3hp/220v Husky Pros from HD
followed by their 30gallon/2hp/120v brethren. The former is somewhat
top-heavy (perhaps even more so than a drill press) and rather averse to
motion but has plenty of output for my needs. The latter is downright agile
for my mobility needs but is a rating of 6.6cfm (40 psi) sufficient? (I
know my twin-tank Makita compressor is definitely not.)

By you figures, the 30 gallon has 10% more capacity than your stated
need.

If you are torn between the two go with the "stationary" up right 60
gallon compressor. Then buy a $79 cheap Harbor Freight compressor for
those odd times you need the portability.

Any relevant experience/problems with either of these options? Does anyone
keep a 60gallon compressor on a mobile base?

Cheers, Shawn

PS: The HD variants load the tank only up to 135psi, while the Lowe's
models go up to 155. I suspect the latter will cause more noise and heat
than I want to deal with, but I have no real experience on that matter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RimaNeas wrote:
I need a new compressor, one that I can roll around from time to time
and than can power my 6cfm (@ 40psi) spray gun.

The best deal/CFM seems to be the 60gallon/3hp/220v Husky Pros from HD
followed by their 30gallon/2hp/120v brethren. The former is somewhat
top-heavy (perhaps even more so than a drill press) and rather averse
to motion but has plenty of output for my needs. The latter is
downright agile for my mobility needs but is a rating of 6.6cfm (40
psi) sufficient? (I know my twin-tank Makita compressor is
definitely not.)
Any relevant experience/problems with either of these options? Does
anyone keep a 60gallon compressor on a mobile base?

Hell no. Think about it - as you said - quite top heavy. Stationary is
exactly that - not mobile.

Cheers, Shawn

PS: The HD variants load the tank only up to 135psi, while the Lowe's
models go up to 155. I suspect the latter will cause more noise and
heat than I want to deal with, but I have no real experience on that
matter.

Don't get suckered into the psi rating. Look at the SCFM rating - that's
what matters. Why would you need 155 psi? What you need is the air volume
delivery. Absent that, all of the psi in the world is just a great big old
bottle neck in your compressor.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 9:18*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Don't get suckered into the psi rating. *Look at the SCFM rating - that's
what matters. *Why would you need 155 psi? *What you need is the air volume
delivery. *Absent that, all of the psi in the world is just a great big old
bottle neck in your compressor.

Amen, brother. This is obviously coming from a guy with high pressure
spray experience, eh? ;^)

Most of the time, the higher pressure is just wasted, and is only
provided by changing out the regulator unit on the machine.

But true high CFM takes a higher capacity compressor head and usually
a better motor. Higher CFM provides constant high pressure with less
drop off than a high pressure unit with few CFM.

If it were me, I would go about this differently. I would take a look
at the components I am trying to power with compressed air, then match
the compressor up to my most air hungry tool.

Robert

Air Compressor Oil PeterD Home Repair 6 August 28th 10 01:07 PM
AC compressor ransley Home Repair 58 August 26th 10 02:43 PM
Which compressor to buy. Nirodac[_2_] Woodworking 8 June 15th 09 05:35 PM
Air Compressor ROYNEU Woodworking 13 November 24th 07 02:51 PM
air compressor ? rb Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 02:26 AM