Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default Air Compressor Oil

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:37:31 -0400, willshak
wrote:

... but did not fill it, nor include any oil to fill it.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend 10W-30 Synthetic motor oil. Drain
as much of the oil that is in there now out first. I suspect that
someone poured the factory oil in and tested the compressor, as a new
compressor will not have any oil in it, and the tank won't have any
pressure. That worries me, as if they ran it for any time with low oil
(bet they kept the oil so that no one would realize that they'd done
that...) it may have been damaged.

But go with the 10W-30 synthetic, it will be the best choice, IMHO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

... but did not fill it, nor include any oil to fill it.

But go with the 10W-30 synthetic, it will be the best choice, IMHO.

I have yet to unpack a small oiled compressor that did not arrive with
a bit of pressure in the tank and a previously filled and drained oil
sump.

A recently purchased CP compressor was exactly as described except a
small partially filled oil bottle was in the packaging. Just enough to
fill compressor to full mark on inspection glass.
One of the sheets said use 30w non-detergent oil only.
Oreilly auto parts has nd30 and nd10 non-detergent oil as many motor
manufacturers spec.
--
Mr.E

It is desirable to use a non-detergent oil for this. That means not
the off the shelf automotive oils. Standard automotive oils contain
detergents which are not recommended where they may encounter water or
high humidity. If you have ever cleaned the white goop out of an
engine that got the coolant into the oil system you'll know why.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

"PeterD" wrote
Drain
as much of the oil that is in there now out first. I suspect that
someone poured the factory oil in and tested the compressor, as a new
compressor will not have any oil in it, and the tank won't have any
pressure. That worries me, as if they ran it for any time with low oil
(bet they kept the oil so that no one would realize that they'd done
that...) it may have been damaged.

You suspect wrong. It is not legal to ship a compressor with oil in it. It
was tested at the factory as it should be, then drained. This is standard
procedure with compressors, even the big ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:21:30 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"PeterD" wrote
Drain
as much of the oil that is in there now out first. I suspect that
someone poured the factory oil in and tested the compressor, as a new
compressor will not have any oil in it, and the tank won't have any
pressure. That worries me, as if they ran it for any time with low oil
(bet they kept the oil so that no one would realize that they'd done
that...) it may have been damaged.

You suspect wrong. It is not legal to ship a compressor with oil in it. It
was tested at the factory as it should be, then drained. This is standard
procedure with compressors, even the big ones.

Possible, but I got the impression that there was more than a residue
of oil, more like it was partially filled. If there was just a residue
of oil, then you are 100% correct. Actually you are correct in that
they do fill and test at the factory then drain, but I think they do a
good job of draining them--at least that's been my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

wrote:

[...]

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The oil I observed was just enough to
indicate that they had put some oil in it at one time. Just like when
you empty a can of oil, there is still some oil clinging to the inside
of the can. It looked wet inside the oil fill tube and the oil sight gauge.
PS. I haven't gone to get oil yet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Air Compressor ROYNEU Woodworking 13 November 24th 07 02:51 PM
Where to buy Compressor Oil, 30W ND John JJ Home Repair 21 July 24th 07 12:31 PM
Air compressor Steve K Home Repair 9 November 17th 05 07:22 PM
Air compressor Yaofeng Home Repair 12 October 15th 04 10:09 PM
air compressor ? rb Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 02:26 AM