Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A word of warning about HD cab ply

On Thursday, 14 July 2011 08:59:46 UTC+10, WW wrote:

He wound up waiting a day for the paint to harden and sanded it all
down and started over again on the finishing. The grain rose again
(!!!) but not as much. One more day to dry, then sand, then recoat.
snip

I use lacquer high build sanding sealer on all types of wood before I paint
it. Dries fast and sands smooth. Some times I do 2 coats and sanding. Finish
is nice. WW

Amen to that. IMHO, any modern cheap plywood needs sanding sealer and/or non-water based paint. Been a long time since I lsat saw plywood that won't crumble in the presence of any humidity. Other than the one sold for marine use, which is also the most expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/11 10:55 PM, Noons wrote:
On Thursday, 14 July 2011 08:59:46 UTC+10, WW wrote:

He wound up waiting a day for the paint to harden and sanded it all
down and started over again on the finishing. The grain rose again
(!!!) but not as much. One more day to dry, then sand, then recoat.
snip

I use lacquer high build sanding sealer on all types of wood before I paint
it. Dries fast and sands smooth. Some times I do 2 coats and sanding. Finish
is nice. WW

Amen to that. IMHO, any modern cheap plywood needs sanding sealer
and/or non-water based paint. Been a long time since I lsat saw
plywood that won't crumble in the presence of any humidity. Other
than the one sold for marine use, which is also the most expensive.

Might be reason enough to buy the pre-finished stuff.
Could save some time on sealing it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

A word of warning about HD cab ply [email protected] Woodworking 20 July 14th 11 10:42 PM
Word needed Caesar Romano Home Repair 42 December 14th 09 11:44 PM
WARNING! WARNING! OT ........... guns! SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 40 October 2nd 09 12:15 AM
TOT; Word Doc The Medway Handyman UK diy 57 September 20th 09 07:12 PM
A word of thanks Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 July 27th 08 07:09 PM