Posted to rec.woodworking
DLG DLG is offline

Default waiter style corkscrew with wooden handle

Last week I was in a store that sold overpriced crafts. They
displayed wooden pens and the typical turned items, but they also had
a waiter style corkscrew - hinged screw and hinged lever to help
remove the cork. The usual metal handle was covered with beautiful
wood. I haven't been able to find the unfinished corkscrew. Anyone
know where the basic kit is available?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DLG" wrote in message
Last week I was in a store that sold overpriced crafts. They
displayed wooden pens and the typical turned items, but they also had
a waiter style corkscrew - hinged screw and hinged lever to help
remove the cork. The usual metal handle was covered with beautiful
wood. I haven't been able to find the unfinished corkscrew. Anyone
know where the basic kit is available?

You may find it just as cheap to buy a good one and take it apart.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DLG DLG is offline

I guess that would give me a little flexibility on design and allow me
to pick up something of better quality than I would probably find in a
kit. It's an extra step but...

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:09:07 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"DLG" wrote in message
.. .
Last week I was in a store that sold overpriced crafts. They
displayed wooden pens and the typical turned items, but they also had
a waiter style corkscrew - hinged screw and hinged lever to help
remove the cork. The usual metal handle was covered with beautiful
wood. I haven't been able to find the unfinished corkscrew. Anyone
know where the basic kit is available?

You may find it just as cheap to buy a good one and take it apart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com

In the search box type in "corkscrew" and you will find what you
want. I haven't used them myself, but I have seen them used. They
are well made (especially the heavy duty one at the lower right of the
search page) wire coils instead of cast crap.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
DLG DLG is offline

Thanks - I've seen that style, but it sometimes requires brute
strength to pull a cork with those - and often ends up with wine
splashed around. What got my attention was one made like this link -
the style your waiter (excuse me "server") would use in a restaurant.
The one I saw was almost certainly made in someone's workshop because
all the items around it looked like a display a WoodCraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Cepag.../dp/B0043DIXX6

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2011 11:19 AM, DLG wrote:
Thanks - I've seen that style, but it sometimes requires brute
strength to pull a cork with those - and often ends up with wine
splashed around. What got my attention was one made like this link -
the style your waiter (excuse me "server") would use in a restaurant.
The one I saw was almost certainly made in someone's workshop because
all the items around it looked like a display a WoodCraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Cepag.../dp/B0043DIXX6

Lee Valley has a full corkscrew (with handle not a kit) for $11.50.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2011 1:19 PM, DLG wrote:
Thanks - I've seen that style, but it sometimes requires brute
strength to pull a cork with those - and often ends up with wine
splashed around. What got my attention was one made like this link -
the style your waiter (excuse me "server") would use in a restaurant.
The one I saw was almost certainly made in someone's workshop because
all the items around it looked like a display a WoodCraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Cepag.../dp/B0043DIXX6

Like!

I'm very particular about my wine corkscrews (much more so than my wine)
and that is the style I prefer.

I've had a less elaborate one made by Christian Brothers for almost a
half century and woe betide the guest who finds it, uses it, and doesn't
put it back where it belongs ... the inmates around here know better
than to touch it!

Be sure you post a followup if you find the parts. Thanks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

DLG wrote:
Thanks - I've seen that style, but it sometimes requires brute
strength to pull a cork with those - and often ends up with wine
splashed around. What got my attention was one made like this link -
the style your waiter (excuse me "server") would use in a restaurant.
The one I saw was almost certainly made in someone's workshop because
all the items around it looked like a display a WoodCraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Cepag.../dp/B0043DIXX6

Neat. It's got a knife for opening wine that comes in a box!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 7/11/2011 11:19 AM, DLG wrote:
Thanks - I've seen that style, but it sometimes requires brute
strength to pull a cork with those - and often ends up with wine
splashed around. What got my attention was one made like this link -
the style your waiter (excuse me "server") would use in a restaurant.
The one I saw was almost certainly made in someone's workshop because
all the items around it looked like a display a WoodCraft.

http://www.amazon.com/Franmara-Cepag.../dp/B0043DIXX6

Lee Valley has a full corkscrew (with handle not a kit) for $11.50.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734

Finding a waiter's corkscrew is not difficult. They're common
department store items. He's looking for one that has the metal parts
and for which he can provide his own handcrafted scales.

Waiter style corkscrew DLG Woodturning 0 July 7th 11 06:13 AM
Fitting a wooden handle to a file Dave Osborne UK diy 36 June 26th 09 06:40 AM
3 handle style shower diverter Eigenvector Home Repair 6 June 11th 06 05:20 AM
warning about lever handle style door locks PipeDown Home Repair 9 January 4th 06 08:53 PM
wooden tool handle finishing AArDvarK Woodworking 6 August 12th 04 01:15 PM