Posted to rec.woodworking

Default L-I battery question

I have a Makita L-I drill/driver set. Very pleased with the power of
both -- except for the relatively short charge life. Any reason not to
charge to full before depletion? Would this shorten battery life?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Z3Driver wrote:

I have a Makita L-I drill/driver set. Very pleased with the power of
both -- except for the relatively short charge life. Any reason not to
charge to full before depletion? Would this shorten battery life?

Larry

I believe the Makita has a smart charger. It senses when the battery is to
hot and waits for it to cool down before it starts charging. It also will
let you know through its LED lights when a battery is going south. I've had
my Makita for 2 years and use it everyday and both batteries are going
strong. I have zero complaints when it comes to my Makita's. I'd buy another
in a dead second. Although I have looked at the Milwaukee but haven't bit
yet.

http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:57:45 -0500, Z3Driver wrote:

I have a Makita L-I drill/driver set. Very pleased with the power of
both -- except for the relatively short charge life. Any reason not to
charge to full before depletion? Would this shorten battery life?

Li-Ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycle. A 20% charge (80% to
100%) counts, more or less, the same as a full charge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:50:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/5/2011 8:01 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:57:45 -0500, wrote:

I have a Makita L-I drill/driver set. Very pleased with the power of
both -- except for the relatively short charge life. Any reason not to
charge to full before depletion? Would this shorten battery life?

Li-Ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycle. A 20% charge (80% to
100%) counts, more or less, the same as a full charge.

This may be totally different but my iPhone has a lithium ion battery.
The instructions absolutely say that there is a limited amount of "Full"
recharges. Five 20% recharges = One Full recharge charge.

A charge *TO* full counts as one charge, whether it's from 80% or 20%. The
wear-out mechanism is terminal-charge dependent.

My iPhone has been recharged every day give or take a few exceptions
since February of last year at various degrees of discharge and it still
performs well above the scheduled replacement threshold of only holding
80% charge compared to new.

Anecdote data

Charge Cycles

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of
its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may
choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge
to meet your needs.

Recharge cycles explained here

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:57:45 -0500, wrote:

I have a Makita L-I drill/driver set. Very pleased with the power of
both -- except for the relatively short charge life. Any reason not to
charge to full before depletion? Would this shorten battery life?

Li-Ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycle. A 20% charge (80% to
100%) counts, more or less, the same as a full charge.

This may be totally different but my iPhone has a lithium ion battery.
The instructions absolutely say that there is a limited amount of "Full"
recharges. Five 20% recharges = One Full recharge charge.

A charge *TO* full counts as one charge, whether it's from 80% or 20%. The
wear-out mechanism is terminal-charge dependent.

3

I misstated but here is the poop from the Apple site. I should have
stated charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t
necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your
iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it
fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one
charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.
Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity
slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through
many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery
capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need
to replace your battery.

This may not be the case with all lithium ion batteries and their chargers.

My iPhone has been recharged every day give or take a few exceptions
since February of last year at various degrees of discharge and it still
performs well above the scheduled replacement threshold of only holding
80% charge compared to new.

Anecdote data

Charge Cycles

A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of
its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may
choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge
to meet your needs.

Recharge cycles explained here

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Battery Question SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 18 October 12th 09 02:58 AM
Battery question SteveB Metalworking 8 December 20th 08 03:24 AM
Battery question SteveB[_5_] Metalworking 48 March 18th 08 06:46 PM
Another Car Battery question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 31 February 6th 08 03:26 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM