Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Affordable and powerful CAD.

I downloaded CorelCAD a while ago and spent some time giving it a work-
out.

The fine folk at Nemetschek (Vectorworks, sadly my favourite only
because I know it like the back of my hand,) won't give me a lateral
additional seat to a PC, they want me to spend another $3000.00 so I
can operate on both Mac and PC.
That is a non-starter.

So I have been looking all over the place for an acceptable CAD
package I can lug around on the same PC as my Vectric Aspire CNC
software.
Besides the obvious, AutCAD, which I trained on for 3 years at the
local college, (SketchUp and 123D are not intuitive to my hard-to-
break habits although very powerful in their own rights) and other
hard-core nerd-grade CAD packages are all too damned much money for
what I want. Either too much money or lacking in 3D features or export
capability.

Enter a company I have never been too fond of, even though they are
Canuckistani. That dislike goes back to the days when they thought
CorelDraw was a real graphics package. Back then, Illustrator on a Mac
was the queen's tits and friends of mine had a helluva time getting
the PostScript aspect of CorelDraw to work with their (then very
pricy) laser printers and RIPS. Then Corel ended up with KPT and
Painter. They developed Painter into a wonderful program if you like
that sort of thing. They did, however, let Kai Power Tools for the
Mac, fall through the cracks. That ****ed me off.

But just like I no longer hate my ex wives, time heals and all that
rot, I downloaded CorelCAD.
Instantly recognized the AutoCAD interface(s) like tool bars and
command lines. World space, paper space, all those good things I am
used to. Vectorworks is also very similar in many aspects. An instant
feeling of comfort.
$199 more than SketchUp Pro, a no-brainer for me who never learned too
much about SU.

$699 is still a bit pricy for many, but from where I'm sitting, the
absolute biggest bang for the buck. They will let me install on my Mac
and my PC for that price.
Same DVD, same serial number. That is just awesome. I will screw
around some more with it before I drop the coin though...I mean
something has to be lacking besides very limited rendering capability
which is no big deal to me as I have a stand-alone package for that.

Such a simple and clean install too, and you can do a trial, fully
featured for 30 days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

They informed me of this program and I checked it out. It turns out that it
is based on The ARES of engine that can run on Mac, pc or Linux. Check out
this article. It is quite interesting. It is about time that AUTOCAD got
some competition.

http://www.deelip.com/?p=6006

Good find! I'm starting to like CorelCAD but 700 smackeroons is a lot
for a simple convenience.
I have all the horsepower I need in Vectorworks, plus it is like falling
off a log in terms of ease of use (for me). 23 years will do that.

Still, for somebody who doesn't have a CAD program, it's a nice deal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:35:16 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I downloaded CorelCAD a while ago and spent some time giving it a work-
out.

[...snip...]

$699 is still a bit pricy for many, but from where I'm sitting, the
absolute biggest bang for the buck. They will let me install on my Mac
and my PC for that price.
Same DVD, same serial number. That is just awesome. I will screw
around some more with it before I drop the coin though...I mean
something has to be lacking besides very limited rendering capability
which is no big deal to me as I have a stand-alone package for that.

Such a simple and clean install too, and you can do a trial, fully
featured for 30 days.

Just out of curiosity ... have you ever looked at Intellicad?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I downloaded CorelCAD a while ago and spent some time giving it a work-
out.

[...snip...]

$699 is still a bit pricy for many, but from where I'm sitting, the
absolute biggest bang for the buck. They will let me install on my Mac
and my PC for that price.
Same DVD, same serial number. That is just awesome. I will screw
around some more with it before I drop the coin though...I mean
something has to be lacking besides very limited rendering capability
which is no big deal to me as I have a stand-alone package for that.

Such a simple and clean install too, and you can do a trial, fully
featured for 30 days.

Just out of curiosity ... have you ever looked at Intellicad?

Briefly, and quite some time ago. As I am on the hunt, I will
certainly take some out to take another look...but not available for
mac..sooo
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06/24/2011 02:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:
In aweb.com,
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

They informed me of this program and I checked it out. It turns out that it
is based on The ARES of engine that can run on Mac, pc or Linux. Check out
this article. It is quite interesting. It is about time that AUTOCAD got
some competition.

http://www.deelip.com/?p=6006

Good find! I'm starting to like CorelCAD but 700 smackeroons is a lot
for a simple convenience.
I have all the horsepower I need in Vectorworks, plus it is like falling
off a log in terms of ease of use (for me). 23 years will do that.

Still, for somebody who doesn't have a CAD program, it's a nice deal.

Check this page out
http://www.freecad.com/

--
All the Best & 73's