Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 12

People send me a lot of unusual items that they are looking to identify,
maybe a third of them get posted on the web site, the rest don't make it for
one reason or another, although I've got hundreds of photos waiting to be
posted so sometimes it takes a while for me to get to them.

Below are some photos that I'm not planning to post on the site but I still
think they are interesting, the first three were sent in and I have found
the answer for them. The last is from an auction, I think I know what it is
but I'm not sure.

1. Someone found this on an outside wall of their house:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2012/dhw1.jpg

2. Probably between 2 and 4 inches long, made of rubber:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2012/dhw2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw2b.jpg

3. The ears at the top of this one can pivot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw3a.jpg

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 06/04/2011 04:17 PM, Rob H. wrote:
4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Salt Cellar? I was going to suggest coke spoon, but that would be very
un-PC.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. Inscribed thus:

People send me a lot of unusual items that they are looking to
identify, maybe a third of them get posted on the web site, the rest
don't make it for one reason or another, although I've got hundreds of
photos waiting to be posted so sometimes it takes a while for me to
get to them.

Below are some photos that I'm not planning to post on the site but I
still think they are interesting, the first three were sent in and I
have found
the answer for them. The last is from an auction, I think I know what
it is but I'm not sure.

1. Someone found this on an outside wall of their house:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2012/dhw1.jpg

2. Probably between 2 and 4 inches long, made of rubber:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2012/dhw2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw2b.jpg

Replacement heels for shoes or boots !

3. The ears at the top of this one can pivot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw3a.jpg

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Pipe bowl stand & scraper !

Rob

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

#4 pipe stand reminds me when I was a youngster my dad smoked many pipes.
One day came home from work and found that Mom had soaked and cleaned his
pipes because the smelled so bad. Wow, he was not a happy camper...WW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 12:17*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
[...]

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:http://img.photobucket..com/albums/v...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Rob

#1 is, if I recall, a hanger for a broom, mop, etc. Had one very
similar @ the farm by the back door. Whoa! Wrong one! It's a
clothesline tensioner. Put line between the two "ears" and down
through the "shoe" on the bottom. Pull down to set tension, the
tension holds the "shoe" tight to hold the tension.
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#1 is, if I recall, a hanger for a broom, mop, etc. Had one very
similar @ the farm by the back door. Whoa! Wrong one! It's a
clothesline tensioner. Put line between the two "ears" and down
through the "shoe" on the bottom. Pull down to set tension, the
tension holds the "shoe" tight to hold the tension.
Norm

Good answer, the patent can be seen he

http://www.google.com/patents?id=VZE...ver&dq=696 96

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Pipe bowl stand & scraper !

It isn't a pipe bowl, it's just a small wood container with a stand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Mortise and Pestle?

Bill

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"BobH" wrote in message
On 06/04/2011 04:17 PM, Rob H. wrote:
4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Salt Cellar? I was going to suggest coke spoon, but that would be very
un-PC.

BobH

My guess is that it's a snuff container, but I suppose it could be for other
drugs as well, hard to say for sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

It is actually two pieces for the left and right heel.
They're for just the corner of the heel (the part you wear down). The rest
of the heel is usually leather.
Paul K. Dickman

That makes sense, I guess they would cut away the worn part of the heel
until the replacement part was a good fit.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 12:17:00 -0400, "Rob H."
wrote:

[...]

Gate latch

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

Rob

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

3. The ears at the top of this one can pivot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw3a.jpg

Gate latch

Correct, the gate was held between the two ears, either ear was lifted to
open the gate, to close it the gate was swung back to the latch and the ear
was lifted by the gate and then fell back to lock it in place.

Here is the patent for it:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?...EBAJ&dq=482482

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

The last item is a teapot from Argentina. The tea is brewed in the
wooden pot and drunk through the "straw" that has a strainer at the
bottom. Additional photo at:

http://www.123rf.com/photo_4560505_a...led-la-bo.html

Pierre

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"pierre" wrote in message

4. The tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4"
long:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...2012/dhw4a.jpg

The last item is a teapot from Argentina. The tea is brewed in the
wooden pot and drunk through the "straw" that has a strainer at the
bottom. Additional photo at:

http://www.123rf.com/photo_4560505_a...led-la-bo.html

Pierre

The wooden item in my photo is quite small, about the size of a grape, note
that I said the tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long. The container
is too small to hold enough liquid to drink but large enough to hold some
snuff (powdered tobacco), the tool could be used as a small spoon to hold
some of the powder up to the nose where it would be inhaled. Or it could
have been for some other kind of powdered drug. This is just a guess but I
can't think of any better ideas for it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://www.123rf.com/photo_4560505_a...a-mata--calaba...

Pierre

The wooden item in my photo is quite small, about the size of a grape, note
that I said the tool in the foreground is about 1-1/4" long. *The container
is too small to hold enough liquid to drink but large enough to hold some
snuff (powdered tobacco), the tool could be used as a small spoon to hold
some of the powder up to the nose where it would be inhaled. *Or it could
have been for some other kind of powdered drug. *This is just a guess but I
can't think of any better ideas for it.

Rob

Wow, how could it NOT be a Yerba and calabash? Do a google.image
search, and the similarity is overwhelming. Maybe its a tourist-shop
model, or possibly some sort of small-scale reproduction for a display
of some sort.