Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 8

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Winston wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-11-02, Winston ? wrote:
? DoN. Nichols wrote:
?
? (...)
?
?? And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
?? these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)
?
? Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
? naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

Lbh cbfg gur vafgehpgvbaf ba ubj gb ebg13 qrpbqr (be rapbqr,
fvapr vg vf n erirefvoyr cebprff) *va* ebg13.

Lbh zhfg ernyyl abg jnag gubfr jub qba'g xabj gb yrnea. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

No need to make it too easy on the NOOBS. ;-)

Think of the message as a reward, after someone spends
half an hour writing a decoder in BASIC.

The last decoder I wrote in basic was to disassemble the firmware OS
in a Commodre 1581 disk drive.

I'll bet that was fun!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Winston wrote:

On 2010-11-02, Winston ? wrote:
? DoN. Nichols wrote:
?
? (...)
?
?? And how many people do you expect to know how to decode that
?? these days given how few do bottom posting? :-)
?
? Whfg ybt gb uggc://jjj.ebg13.pbz/vaqrk.cuc
? naq cnfgr lbhe grkg vagb gur jvaqbj.

Lbh cbfg gur vafgehpgvbaf ba ubj gb ebg13 qrpbqr (be rapbqr,
fvapr vg vf n erirefvoyr cebprff) *va* ebg13.

Lbh zhfg ernyyl abg jnag gubfr jub qba'g xabj gb yrnea. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

No need to make it too easy on the NOOBS. ;-)

Think of the message as a reward, after someone spends
half an hour writing a decoder in BASIC.

The last decoder I wrote in basic was to disassemble the firmware OS
in a Commodre 1581 disk drive.

I'll bet that was fun!

It took about half a day. What took longer as modifying the original
'Disk Doctor' to recognize the 1571 & 1581 drives. 'Disk Doctor' was a
machine language sector editor written when the 1541 drive was new. I
rewrote the code to identify several early IEEE-488 metal cased drives
to see the 1571 & 1581 drives, and changed the display to make it more
user friendly. The fun part was I used 'Disk Doctor' to rewrite a copy
of itself to the same floppy on a 1541 drive.

A inventory database in Commodore basic was a lot more work. Someone
wrote one in three modules, and using the lousy MPS801 printer. there
was a setup/data entry module. Another to update the files, and the
third to output data.

The author didn't use carriage returns or line feeds. Instead, he
padded every line with extra spaces so the output was one very long
line. I cleaned up the print routine, then re-wrote the rest of the
program into a single, smaller program. large parts of each module were
identical, or only varied by a line or two so I created multiple entry
subroutines to minimize the code.

enough left over to pay them.