Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is my wife crazy?

She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 10:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

I happen to know what that is.

1. Any good turner could make you a nice one.
2. There is a wooden citrius juiceer that is similar size and shape
(google "wooden juicer")
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 10:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

google "planting dibble"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

It's a garden planting took, used for making planting holes for bulbs or
seedlings. Bing or Google for it and you'll find a bunch of gardening tools
web sites that sell them.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/11 1:28 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

No, no, no, she want you to stop dribbling. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Limp Arbor writes:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Some he
http://www.gardentoolcompany.com/cat...lanting-Tools/

And of course, there is:
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodturnin...ctdibber1.html

Searching may be easier if you know they are also called dibbers.

--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child
| and kick its little ass
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On May 31, 10:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

There is smething to be said for 'exceeding her expectations'.

May I sugggest something 50% better than a dibble?

A _tribble_!

BTWU, there's a Romulan who would dearly love to get rid of a -big- bunch of
them -- it seems they're cluttering up his engine room.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 1:47*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 5/31/11 1:28 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:

She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

No, no, no, she want you to stop dribbling. :-)

--
Froz...

Once you dibble... it's hard to stop dibbling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Drew Lawson" wrote

Some he
http://www.gardentoolcompany.com/cat...lanting-Tools/

It has been a while since I looked at garden tools. But $40 for a Dandelion
Weeding Trowel? Looks kind of like a turning gouge. Doesn't seem right to
invest $40 for a tool for a WEED!!

I keep thinking about I guy I knew growing up who used some kind of flame
thrower to take care of the weeds on his lawn. He ended up with burnt spots
on the lawn, but the grew in and he ended up with a nice green lawn. But
every spring, he had those burnt spots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Try looking for that grand old English word "dibber" - that's yet another
word American's misspell!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:37:03 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On May 31, 10:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

google "planting dibble"

Lee Valley does sell them on the gardening section.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:28:30 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Hey, just turn down one of her dil...erm, never mind.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Disbelief" wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Try looking for that grand old English word "dibber" - that's yet another
word American's misspell!

According to your grand old OED the Middle English word was "dibble".

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:59:37 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"Disbelief" wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Try looking for that grand old English word "dibber" - that's yet another
word American's misspell!

According to your grand old OED the Middle English word was "dibble".

Is your OED a Hernia Edition? I have the Websters version of that.
Six inches thick and has a whole helluva lot of words in it, none of
which are textable.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

LA:

I've seen and used them. "Dibble" was the only word known
here. You can make one out of a big spike epoxied into
wood that gets padded for comfort if you like. A bike
handlebar grip would also work for traction if you
have one about.

Try eBay. I'm sure if you searched (or saved a search)
under (dibble OR dibber) (antique OR vintage) you could
find a good one inexpensively. If the handle is tight and
solid, you shouldn't have any worries.

The nicest one that hit the eyes was an exemplar
bearing a strong, strong resemblance to one of
the kind of burnishers used by jewelers. The
fabricator used a swift-looking, stout piece of
polished sard for the working
end. Scratching and abrasion in the right kind of
soil might be a problem--and you wouldn't want
to be prying with it--but, dang, it was a looker.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

Of course she is.

They all are. (i.e., Lucy Ricardo, Gracie Allen, Edith Bunker, Frances
*****, [my first wife]).

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

"Drew Lawson" wrote

Some he
http://www.gardentoolcompany.com/cat...lanting-Tools/

It has been a while since I looked at garden tools. But $40 for a Dandelion
Weeding Trowel? Looks kind of like a turning gouge. Doesn't seem right to
invest $40 for a tool for a WEED!!

I keep thinking about I guy I knew growing up who used some kind of flame
thrower to take care of the weeds on his lawn. He ended up with burnt spots
on the lawn, but the grew in and he ended up with a nice green lawn. But
every spring, he had those burnt spots.

I have a propane flame weeder, but I don't use it on the lawn. It
is great on the brick walkway. Fire is always more fun than round-up.

--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
vonKevin wrote:
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On May 31, 10:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
She wants me to get her a dibble. *I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

There is smething to be said for 'exceeding her expectations'.

May I sugggest something 50% better than a dibble?

A _tribble_!

BTWU, there's a Romulan who would dearly love to get rid of a -big- bunch of
them -- it seems they're cluttering up his engine room.

That would be a Klingon, not a Romulan. Try and keep up.

You might want to follow the _fan_ literature.

there were a number of stories written after the David Gerrald epsiode aired.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 11:28*pm, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

Tried 5 Garden stores and the the first 4 had no idea what I was
talking about. The 5th one knew exactly what it was and had them for
$9.99.

SWMBO was happy and liked that it had a T handle similar to this:
http://www.dibble.com/dibble-tool.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

The price is right. She might later like a long-handled
dibble if her knees don't take kindly to the shuffling.
Welding up a T handle tube on a piece of rebar and
put a perpendicular foot step a few inches up from
the sharpened working end and the operation eases.

If she wants to gauge penetration depth, the simplest
way is to tightly wrap a piece of flag tape at the desired
height.

Though germination procedures vary,
success is greatest if you put a seed that has just
germinated in the hole. For a lot of things, some time
between moistened paper towels vertically filed
between plastic separators in a plastic box kept in a
cooler dark place works great. The root should
go down with gravity, so she can orient them easily
on planting. Optimum time for removing them is
right before the upward part of the stem starts to
unfold leaves. Plant that upward end a bit below
loose ground cover and the seedling will have protective
time to adjust to the sun before coming up.

She if she buys the notion that the maker's
guild slogan for these instruments is "A little dib'll do ya."
Don't be surprised if she wants to run her fingers
through your hair after that. It's an Earth Mother
thing.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Limp Arbor wrote:

She wants me to get her a dibble. I thought for sure someone here
would sell them on their site but only found a "Ken Dibble".

Maybe nobody uses them anymore.

LOL! I have a bucket of them for an "art in the park" day on Sunday,
along with other turnings (pens, votive candle holders and potpourri
bowls) and my new line of cigar box gitfiddles...

I make them out of cedar, burn 1" depth marks with wire, and finish
with shellac.