Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Transplanting A Live Oak Tree

A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

It would be a lot easier to just bring in a sawmill, cut it down and make
lumber. And does an oak tree really weigh 400 tons? That is 800,000
pounds. I know that green wood is heavy, but this stuff must be as heavy as
depleted uranium!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Damned glad the effort is being made ... Hoping it is sucessfu.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

A closer view: http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al

If the root ball is 50' across and 4' deep, it, alone, may weigh 200
tons.... a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has
been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

Live Oak weighs about 54 lbs per cubic foot, I think. I don't know if
this measure is dry weight or green weight. This tree has, at least,
a 100' wide canope. Lots of leaves on this tree, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/16/2011 8:42 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

... does an oak tree really weigh 400 tons? That is 800,000
pounds. I know that green wood is heavy, but this stuff must be as heavy
as depleted uranium!

Well, w/o looking up, assume sp gr of 0.8 -- ~6 lb/cu-ft

That'd be very crudely a volume of 133,333 ft^3 which would be a cube of
about 50-ft on a side solid.

Don't think the volume would be that, no. The tree and the root ball
they'll have to excavate might be in that neighborhood...

It'll take a piece o' gear for certain and likelihood of success isn't
very great most likely altho if there's enough money to followup it'd
help. Being in area w/ good moisture in general, etc., won't hurt of
course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 9:16*am, Sonny wrote:
A closer view: *http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al

On this link, there is a video news cast link, above the picture,
stating a few details of the pending move. Stay tuned for more
videos.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 8:26*am, Sonny wrote:

Sonny

Fascinating, and I guess I have mixed feelings. If the tree has
historic relevance it is probably worth it. But if public money is
being used, they are spending a lot of it. Can they really save
enough of the tree's root structure to keep it going after transplant?

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in news:1320392402327246248.495042kac-
:

Sonny wrote:
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Damned glad the effort is being made ... Hoping it is sucessfu.

Same here ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 5ae286d8-6474-44c5-8f82-d67bc5b5e465
@r35g2000prj.googlegroups.com, says...

A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

They'll likely use some kind of outrigger arrangement to keep it from
toppling if that is a risk.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/16/2011 9:23 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2011 8:42 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

... does an oak tree really weigh 400 tons? That is 800,000
pounds. I know that green wood is heavy, but this stuff must be as heavy
as depleted uranium!

Well, w/o looking up, assume sp gr of 0.8 -- ~6 lb/cu-ft

Ooopppssss...decimal point slip. Needed morning coffee first...

More like 60 lb/cu-ft.

That'd be very crudely a volume of 133,333 ft^3 which would be a cube of
about 50-ft on a side solid.

That's down to a 25-ft cube; not totally out of reason perhaps...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Sonny wrote in news:5ae286d8-6474-44c5-8f82-
:

A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

I thought I had seen a show about movinga fully grown tree. If not this
show, then a very similar one:
http://www.history.com/shows/mega-mo.../transporting-
trees#transporting-trees

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

I expect the move will be seamlessly. They have these large tree movers
that can move huge trees. I remember a golf tournament installed two 50
foot trees a few years back, to make it harder for the golfers. This
was done on the 2nd day as the golfer could hit over a corner or something.

Mike in Ohio

On 05/16/2011 09:26 AM, Sonny wrote:
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 9:42*am, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

depleted uranium!- Hide quoted text -

Maryland's famous Wye Oak was made into furniture after it
was brought down by a storm. Not sure if they cloned it. The
process couldn't be simpler. Merely cut off a large number of
branches and stick them in water or wet sand, then wait. Rooting
takes between a month and a year. Each resulting sapling is an
exact genetic duplicate of the parent tree, a true clone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote

a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has
been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

Check your figures. A yard of dirt is within spitting distance (30 pounds)
of 1.5 tons.

-- Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:03:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Sonny wrote:
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Damned glad the effort is being made ... Hoping it is sucessfu.

Nice sentiment, faulty logic in LA.

Instead of feeding/housing hungry evacuees, the ecoterrorists cause
how many tens of thousands of dollars to be wasted on idiotic stuff
like this?

When the time comes to move it, they'll shockingly discover one or two
things. That the tree was hollow inside and any attempt to move it
caused it to break into pieces, or that they tried to lighten the load
and didn't get enough of the root system so it dies within a month.
I hope they x-ray it before trying.

Bets?

Similar old oaks? http://goo.gl/JIDvt http://goo.gl/HDpe0
http://goo.gl/Apm14 http://goo.gl/hcMVV fell all by themselves.

LJ, who used to live 13 miles from Live Oak Park (in Fallbrook, CA)
and knows that they're not a particularly beautiful or rare tree.

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 07:16:26 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

A closer view: http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al

If the root ball is 50' across and 4' deep, it, alone, may weigh 200
tons.... a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has
been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

Live Oak weighs about 54 lbs per cubic foot, I think. I don't know if
this measure is dry weight or green weight. This tree has, at least,
a 100' wide canope. Lots of leaves on this tree, also.

Why didn't they move it last Winter, when all the leaves were down?

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why move it at all.

Has a nursery or tree surgeon been consulted ?

Trees are often root cut over several years prepping it for a move.
One cuts the roots in a short sections around the tree and year
after year the circle is closed.

Then a massive scoop machine moves in and cuts the dirt at the new
place and then cuts the tree to match - moves and puts the tree and
the massive cone of ground into the pre-made hole.

Martin

wrote:

A closer view: http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al

If the root ball is 50' across and 4' deep, it, alone, may weigh 200
tons.... a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has
been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

Live Oak weighs about 54 lbs per cubic foot, I think. I don't know if
this measure is dry weight or green weight. This tree has, at least,
a 100' wide canope. Lots of leaves on this tree, also.

Why didn't they move it last Winter, when all the leaves were down?

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
-- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A closer view: http://www.klfy.com/story/14527393/moving-mr-al

If the root ball is 50' across and 4' deep, it, alone, may weigh 200
tons.... a yard of top soil weighs about a ton and this root ball has
been watered constantly, in prep of the move.

Live Oak weighs about 54 lbs per cubic foot, I think. I don't know if
this measure is dry weight or green weight. This tree has, at least,
a 100' wide canope. Lots of leaves on this tree, also.

Why didn't they move it last Winter, when all the leaves were down?

Live oaks keep their leaves in the winter, but it would have been better
to have moved it in the winter.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 9:33*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Why didn't they move it last Winter, when all the leaves were down?

Bureaucrats not botanists

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]

Nice sentiment, faulty logic in LA.

Instead of feeding/housing hungry evacuees, the ecoterrorists cause
how many tens of thousands of dollars to be wasted on idiotic stuff
like this?

When the time comes to move it, they'll shockingly discover one or two
things. That the tree was hollow inside and any attempt to move it
caused it to break into pieces, or that they tried to lighten the load
and didn't get enough of the root system so it dies within a month.
I hope they x-ray it before trying.

Bets?

Similar old oaks? http://goo.gl/JIDvt http://goo.gl/HDpe0
http://goo.gl/Apm14 http://goo.gl/hcMVV fell all by themselves.

[...snip...]

Having worked for a DOT for 30 years, I am pretty sure the DOT didn't
agree to this easily. Usually the payment for additional right of way
is first offered at fair market value, then land owners can appeal to
whatever legal mechanism exists in the state. I'll bet this came about
either after litigation or the owner of the tree is paying to move the
tree themselves.

FWIW, about 15 years ago I served on a jury. Why? Some people hired an
idiot to clear some scrub trees on their property. And the guy cut
down the wrong trees, on the wrong property. Which resulted in a
lawsuit.

And I got to watch videos of large oak and other trees being
transplanted to other locations, to prove that it would be possible to
fix the damage by transporting in large live oak trees to replace the
ones that were cut down. According to the video, the trees all lived.

I would think an arborist would be asked to give an opinion on the
health of a tree before someone spends $$$ to move it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many citizens wanted to keep the tree. This is not the first case in
this area. There were a few fund raisers to collect funds to support
the move.

In Youngsville, last year, a similar situation presented itself. The
community raised funds to buy adjacent property and that road was
rerouted onto the new property.

Several years ago, there was debate about removing a large live oak in
town, to make room for a filling station. The filling station won out
and the tree was cut down. Less than a year later, the filling
station closed its doors. The city sued the company on behalf of the
citizens and won.

Folks here have become keen (militant) to the idea of preserving the
remaining old live oak trees. In some cases, folks have even
protested against others picking the Spanish moss from them.

As of this writing (11:50 am), I haven't heard how the move is going/
went. It was supposed to take 3 hours to move it, 1 1/2 miles. KLFY
TV has a noontime local broadcast, "Meet Your Neighbor", so maybe
they'll have an update, then.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 12:55*pm, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Has any of the talking heads bandied about the cost of moving the
tree? Largish thousands, but how large?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote the following:
A large live oak tree is within the path of a road construction zone.
Rather than cutting it down, they will attempt to move it, tomorrow.
If I have a chance, I might go take pics of the attempt.

http://www.katc.com/news/plans-postp...move-live-oak/

This is sure to be a challenge. I'm wondering: If there is a slight
wind, whether the tree will topple over during transport. Even
balancing the tree, on the transport, will be a challenge. I've never
known of a tree this size having been transplanted. Not the best time
of year for transplanting, either.

Tomorrow evening, there may be online news video available, for those
who may want to tune in for the results.... Local news outlets:
KATC.com or KLFY.com

Sonny

Good luck with the move.
I would suspect that it would take 2 cranes working in tandem to lift
and put it on a heavy duty flatbed, like the kind used to transport
large electrical power converters.
I doubt whether it would topple if secured adequately.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2011 10:43 AM, RonB wrote:
On May 16, 8:26 am, wrote:

Sonny

Fascinating, and I guess I have mixed feelings. If the tree has
historic relevance it is probably worth it.

Live Oaks live an average of 200 years, This one is already 150 years old...

They could have planted a new one, and in 25 years had a nice tree, with
an average of 175 years of life left. Meanwhile, they could have built
some nice pallets to move giant wood working tools to market:-)

But if public money is
being used, they are spending a lot of it. Can they really save
enough of the tree's root structure to keep it going after transplant?

Trees ain't that easy to kill, particularly if you are trying to kill
them, or really don't care. I've transplanted a ton of trees, ripping
them out of the ground with a tractor, chain, and half ass digging
around the root ball, and out of around 25, all but one lived. I would
have been happy if half of them made it.

My brothers neighbor had a Xmas tree he planted. It got to be about 25'
and he cut the sucker down to the ground... The damn thing grew back and
is now about 25' tall again. This was/is a Blue Spruce evergreen.

Recently, I found a Norway maple growing at the foundation of my house.
It was about 3-4 foot little thing, but too big to yank out by hand,
so I cut it down the the ground. That fall, cut it again. Next spring,
it was back, cut it down to the ground again. Now I'm curious as to how
the little sucker could keep on living, so decided to see how long it
would take. That fall, cut it too the ground again, this time, I
butchered the 1" trunk. Next spring, sure enough, it was back, this time
with multiple trunks, and the leaves were like 2x's as large as normal.
I cut that sucker to the ground twice a summer. This year, about the 5
or 6th year, it gave up the ghost. I almost felt sorry for it.

I know if I really wanted the thing to live, it would have croaked with
just a light pruning. My guess is after spending tons of cash to move a
half dead tree, the crazed citizenry will drown the sucker, trying to
keep it alive.

Oak is my favorite wood for tool bench legs...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com