Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

On 4/26/2011 12:55 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 4/26/2011 11:20 AM, Just Wondering said this:
On 4/26/2011 6:15 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

Atheism is not a religion. It is simply a belief in the nonexistence
of deity. As a belief, it is based on faith, something many atheists
are unwilling to admit. However, faith in the existence or
non-existence of a thing, without more, is not a religion.

Atheism denies the existence of God. Inasmuch as you can't prove a negative,
atheists just have to take God's nonexistence on faith.

Well, I think that sometimes it is possible to prove a negative, but I certainly agree that
atheists take the nonexistence of God on faith.

Hence its status as a religion.

I think you guys (yins in Pgh) must first agree on the definition of
"religion" before you debate whether or not something is a religion.
Broad definitions abound and how strict or loosely you define religion
makes a big difference.

Personally, I don't think simply having faith in something is enough to
call it a religion. I think some atheists exercise their beliefs as a
religion, and some don't. Those that do are far more tiring than even
the most annoying evangelical. But that is based on my view of what
makes something a religion.

As for atheist vs agnostic. The differences are pretty minor and not
relevant other than for the joy of debate.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com