Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a scope

SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Remove a drawer below it and knock on the drawer from the bottom? Just
a thought.

Maybe leave it stuck long enough that a lesson is learned? ; )

Good luck on both counts!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:53:25 -0500, Larry wrote:

SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Not free but not a couple of hundred:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

I've never had a drawer so stuck that I needed one, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry" wrote in message
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim.
Now one is jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get
a wire coat hanger in, but I have been unable to free the
jam. I need a flexible scope to see where the jam is. I
really don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks
(especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any
ideas?

L:

Try Harbor Freight Tools on the scopes. Check their
return policy if it proves unsatisfactory.

If you can get a flat piece of steel in your slit such
as used for opening car doors (Harbor Freight), you
should be able to bend it and locate the problem,
providing intervening obstructions don't object.
The car steel has a cutout which will allow you
to pull on objects.

Two, check the drawer construction. Many drawers have
a nailed face butted to the frame which can be pried off
and later renailed. If the drawers are glued, dovetailed
feature interlocking joints or use knock-down fasteners, it
won't be so good for you.

Assuming there is a drawer/drawers below your
problem which gives you access, pull them out.
Cut a hole in the drawer bottom. Evacuate. Remove
the drawer, disassemble and replace the bottom.

If a small,
thin patch under the drawer bottom won't hamper
function (check clearances), there are ways
to make a patch you will never see from inside on
a painted door.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 10:53*pm, Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. *It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. *I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. *I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). *Any ideas?

You could make a small offering to Anoia.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Remove a drawer below it and knock on the drawer from the bottom? Just a
thought.

Maybe leave it stuck long enough that a lesson is learned? ; )

Good luck on both counts!

Bill

What Bill said. If there is a drawer above it, remove that one. If you
can't, try jiggling it back and forth rapidly through the miniscule distance
it will open.

If you can get a coat hanger in there, you may be able to get a dental type
mirror in there.

I'd also 'rake' the coat hanger over the contents while jiggling the drawer.

Last resort: pry off the drawer front ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry" wrote in message
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in, but
I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see where
the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks
(especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Perhaps wangling in a 2' steel rule will do the job better than a coat
hanger?

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:53:25 -0500, Larry wrote:

SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

This is where my old Chebby distributor wrench has come in handy at
times. http://goo.gl/T68RG The C-shaped style. HOld the long handle
and stuff the combo wrench end in, pulling things down as you slide it
from one side to the other.

To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living
room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one. Let her sort them and
put the necessities back, tossing the unnecessaries. Forcing this
annual (or more frequent) cleanup will **** her off enough to maybe
help break the habit. When (not if) she balks, tell her that you'd be
happy to do the cleanout yourself (with a BSEG on your face, and have
a 55 gallon can sitting at the ready. She'll accept immediately. On
the off chance that she doesn't, you'll solve your problem instantly
by just dumping most of the items in the can. Check and clean out the
drawers (several handfuls each time) on a regular basis.

Alternatively, get one of these: http://goo.gl/MPS3k
(sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!

--
Nobody, as long as he moves about among the
chaotic currents of life, is without trouble.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2011 8:36 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living
room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one.

Too much trouble. Dump the contents in the kitchen sink ... it works
every time.

CAVEAT: If you think too much like a bachelor, you may end up one, right
C-less?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

I would keep on trying the coat hanger for quite a while longer before
buying an inspection camera or scope, but if you're determined to get
one, here's the most reasonably priced I have seen:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

BTW, I have seen some higher priced units from other suppliers that
_appear_ identical.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:53:25 -0500, Larry wrote:

...snipped...
To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living
room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one. Let her sort them and
put the necessities back, tossing the unnecessaries. Forcing this
annual (or more frequent) cleanup will **** her off enough to maybe
help break the habit. When (not if) she balks, tell her that you'd be
happy to do the cleanout yourself (with a BSEG on your face, and have
a 55 gallon can sitting at the ready. She'll accept immediately. On
the off chance that she doesn't, you'll solve your problem instantly
by just dumping most of the items in the can. Check and clean out the
drawers (several handfuls each time) on a regular basis.

...snipped...

That sounds great, until she gets the idea to return the favor with
some of the drawers in your shop...

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 08:58:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/10/2011 8:36 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living
room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one.

Too much trouble. Dump the contents in the kitchen sink ... it works
every time.

I'll bet that works very well. How comfy is your couch, though?

CAVEAT: If you think too much like a bachelor, you may end up one, right
C-less?

Verily, my tied-up friend.

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/09/11 11:53 PM, Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Undermount drawer slides? There is an easy solution, depending upon the
hardware.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:58*am, Swingman wrote:
On 4/10/2011 8:36 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living
room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one.

Too much trouble. Dump the contents in the kitchen sink ... it works
every time.

Ya right.... Kitty's got claws, bro'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry" wrote in message
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in, but
I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see where
the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks
(especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Can you reach up into the drawer from the bottom/back? There is enough space
behind my kitchen drawers to get a hand in there... Also, if they are old
built-in-place cabinets you may be able to get into the drawer by removing
the drawer(s) next to the problem drawer.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 10:53*pm, Larry wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. *It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. *I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. *I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). *Any ideas?

Keep fiddling with it. Shake it back and forth or reach under and
knock on it. If no partition, open the drawer next to it and slide a
ruler or similar object over it.... or if you can get your hand in
behind it do the sam.

Shaking and banging have always gotten them open for us.

GET VIOLENT before you spend a bunch of cash.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 2:24*pm, RonB wrote:

Keep fiddling with it. *Shake it back and forth or reach under and
knock on it. *If no partition, open the drawer next to it and slide a
ruler or similar object over it.... or if you can get your hand in
behind it do the sam.

Shaking and banging have always gotten them open for us.

GET VIOLENT before you spend a bunch of cash.

RonB

errrrrrr.....With the drawer, not your wife.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:27:21 -0700 (PDT), RonB wrote:

On Apr 10, 2:24*pm, RonB wrote:

Keep fiddling with it. *Shake it back and forth or reach under and
knock on it. *If no partition, open the drawer next to it and slide a
ruler or similar object over it.... or if you can get your hand in
behind it do the sam.

Shaking and banging have always gotten them open for us.

GET VIOLENT before you spend a bunch of cash.

RonB

errrrrrr.....With the drawer, not your wife.

Breaking either isn't a good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like the jiggle - but coat hanger - so so.
I like as wide a sheet of metal I can bend under the lips
and jiggle into the drawer - often it can jam the fork or
whatnot downward and allow the drawer to open.

Maybe a back of a tablet of paper - thin but stiff cardboard.

Another is a cake icing - metal 1" wide flexible spatula.
Use it in jabs and sideways along with the handle.

Martin

On 4/10/2011 2:11 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

But just think - get to drill a 3/89 or 1/2" hole into the drawer
face!!! That pretty will retard drawer use. And likely get you a hole
in the head as well!

Martin

On 4/10/2011 2:24 PM, RonB wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:53 pm, wrote:
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Keep fiddling with it. Shake it back and forth or reach under and
knock on it. If no partition, open the drawer next to it and slide a
ruler or similar object over it.... or if you can get your hand in
behind it do the sam.

Shaking and banging have always gotten them open for us.

GET VIOLENT before you spend a bunch of cash.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Alternatively, get one of these: http://goo.gl/MPS3k
(sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!

Do it yourself Proctoscopy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry wrote in :

SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is
jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in,
but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see
where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred
bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Can you maybe widen the gap until you can get a cell phone camera in? You
may already have the scope you need...

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:48:57 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Alternatively, get one of these: http://goo.gl/MPS3k
(sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!

Do it yourself Proctoscopy!

Is this part of the Obamunist plan?

That said, I'd much rather give myself one (ouch!) than let a herd of
ghastly overpaid idiots assrape me with the expensive kind while
telling jokes about me while I'm sedated in a far too expensive room.

Sis bought me the book _When There is No Doctor: Preventive and
Emergency Healthcare in Uncertain Times_ for Christmas.
http://goo.gl/wSlql
She's an herbalist and Doctor of Naturopathy in the SF Bay area.

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

Alternatively, get one of these: http://goo.gl/MPS3k
(sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!

Do it yourself Proctoscopy!

Is this part of the Obamunist plan?

That said, I'd much rather give myself one (ouch!) than let a herd of
ghastly overpaid idiots assrape me with the expensive kind while
telling jokes about me while I'm sedated in a far too expensive room.

I hate it when they do that! Worse than dentists and it's both ends of the
same tube!