russ

Default replace rubber on delta band saw?

Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

thanks

russ
Charlie Self

russ asks:

Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

Delta has not improved that saw since then, IMO.

Replacing the tire (rubber) is a sort of nuisance job that is needed when you
can't get the blades to track properly and all else is working well.

The hardest part is stretching the tire to get it on the rim. As a former
motorcycle rider, I like to use motorcycle tire irons to do the job.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Suffolk instructions are to soak the new urethane (I think) tires in
hot water 15 minutes then stretch in place. Works too.

On 31 May 2004 09:12:48 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

The hardest part is stretching the tire to get it on the rim. As a former
motorcycle rider, I like to use motorcycle tire irons to do the job.

Unisaw A100

russ wrote:
Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

Actually Russ, and don't take this the wrong way but, you
don't need to wait to gloat. On the other hand, if you
report back in a couple/few and yell us you've failed, well,
you really might need to turn back your credentials for
being a man. No really, it's that easy.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

Are they cracked?

How hard is that.

Well, I just woke up... OK, we really don't need to go
there. Oh! You meant how hard is it to change out the
tires. If you visit the OWWM you'll find articles on band
saws and if memory serves me you'll find Bob Vaughn's
article on changing out the tires and tuning a band saw. He
might give a little more info than you'll find here.

http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/Default.asp

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

They (Delta) have hinged the wheel covers. I suspect that
any other changes were/are value engineering stuff like
changing the upper guide post from hexagonal to round and
that sort of thing. Basically the saw you have is pretty
close to being like the saw today which is pretty close to
being like the saw as it was re-introduced back in the
mid/late 30's.

Now, you say it's 30 years old? I'll be willing to wager
that the saw is older than that. Just call it a hunch.

UA100
Dave W

I have an ancient 14 inch Delta bandsaw. I changed the tires when they
would not stay on. With a little adjusting you should be able to do
anything with an old saw that the new ones will do.
Dave
"russ" wrote in message
om...
Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

thanks

russ

Steve L

Just an FYI- I acquired an old Delta 14" metal cutting bandsaw a few years
back, called Delta with the serial number, and they sent me copies of the
parts lists & manual. Told me it was made in 1946.

I got mine for free, missing a few parts. Cost me about $100 for the
parts, and it's served me quite well.

"russ" wrote in message
om...
Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

thanks

russ

russ

Once again great responses.

Thanks

You are right I did try and sneak in a little underhanded gloat there.

I am in this saw so right that I am going to start by putting a few
more bucks into it... timberwolf blades, rubber for the wheels, maybe
guids and maybe a riser.

I wonder is there a measurable differance between types of wheel
covering?