Charlie Self

Default replace rubber on delta band saw?

russ asks:

Hi I just bought an old delta 14" band saw for $100. I will let you
know in a couple of weeks if I get to gloat.

2 questions

how do I know when it is time to replace the rubber on the wheels?

How hard is that.

Okay one more. This band saw looks to be 30-or forty years old.
(Used in a school I think.) How much has delta improved this machine
since then.

Delta has not improved that saw since then, IMO.

Replacing the tire (rubber) is a sort of nuisance job that is needed when you
can't get the blades to track properly and all else is working well.

The hardest part is stretching the tire to get it on the rim. As a former
motorcycle rider, I like to use motorcycle tire irons to do the job.

Charlie Self
"The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun