Posted to rec.woodworking

Default This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 1 - Sausage Making

AKA, what some folks won't do just to get another kitchen job.
Thought some might be interested in seeing the dreaded underbelly of a
full monte kitchen remodel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...Dv4OKAraChgQE#

(usually I have to build the house to do the kitchen, not tear it down)

Onward through the fog/dust ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...henDemolitionW...

(usually I have to build the house to do the kitchen, not tear it down)

Onward through the fog/dust ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Thumbs up on the dust control. I made my own "ZipWall' style units by
using those telescopic 'load securing' clamps (used in trucks). The
adhesive zippers for the walls are available on-line from the nice
people at ZipWall.
As you might well imagine, dust has been a monkey on my back for a
long time, at least prior to Festool/Fein dust management devices.
It really, truly is the only way to do a renovation and that is to go
"to the studs".
You will be keeping us abreast to the rest of this, eh?
Thanks for posting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

AKA: HOH, Houston Div

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:30:28 -0600, Swingman wrote:

AKA, what some folks won't do just to get another kitchen job.
Thought some might be interested in seeing the dreaded underbelly of a
full monte kitchen remodel.

Definitely a bigarse job, innit?

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...Dv4OKAraChgQE#

(usually I have to build the house to do the kitchen, not tear it down)

Aren't facelifts fun? Sometimes it takes more time and costs more
money to refit than to build new. I can't believe how much people will
spend on a kichen job. I really can't.

Onward through the fog/dust ...

What? No Festering shop vac on premises? Shame, shame, boys.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:40:36 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 12, 3:30*pm, Swingman wrote:
AKA, what some folks won't do just to get another kitchen job.
Thought some might be interested in seeing the dreaded underbelly of a
full monte kitchen remodel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...henDemolitionW...

(usually I have to build the house to do the kitchen, not tear it down)

Onward through the fog/dust ...

Thumbs up on the dust control. I made my own "ZipWall' style units by
using those telescopic 'load securing' clamps (used in trucks). The
adhesive zippers for the walls are available on-line from the nice
people at ZipWall.

Yeah, zipperwalls are great. I used the telescoping clamp on my back
porch cover just last week. They're suprisingly strong. Mine are HF,
of course. $13 a pop vs Zipwall's $40. (slightly shorter @ 114")
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-...bar-66172.html

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 9:04*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I can't believe how much people will
spend on a kichen job. I really can't.

I have been in so many kitchens, I have lost count. As a result, I
have seen both ends of the scale.
I have seen stellar executions for under $10K and complete rubbish for
$80K.
One kitchen cost the guy $220.000 and I actually thought it was
brilliant. He spent a lot of money on restaurant grade equipment and
the finest of all granites and lots of it. It turned out beautiful, in
a Bentley sort of way. It was also very big, I'm guessing 30 x 40 ft.
Then, a few months ago, I was in a kitchen where the people spent $40K
on cabinets and it was absolutely disgusting. They could not have
squeezed more 'ornate bull**** flourishes' in, if they tried.
Mouldings on top of mouldings and all sprayed with that coloured
lacquer crap. Awful.
Tasty doesn't need to cost a lot, if the money is spent wisely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2011 11:01 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:04 pm, Larry
wrote:

I can't believe how much people will
spend on a kichen job. I really can't.

It's a reality that the margin in kitchen builds/remodels is a lot more
lucrative than most construction projects.

I have been in so many kitchens, I have lost count. As a result, I
have seen both ends of the scale.
I have seen stellar executions for under $10K and complete rubbish for
$80K.
One kitchen cost the guy $220.000 and I actually thought it was
brilliant. He spent a lot of money on restaurant grade equipment and
the finest of all granites and lots of it. It turned out beautiful, in
a Bentley sort of way. It was also very big, I'm guessing 30 x 40 ft.
Then, a few months ago, I was in a kitchen where the people spent $40K
on cabinets and it was absolutely disgusting. They could not have
squeezed more 'ornate bull**** flourishes' in, if they tried.
Mouldings on top of mouldings and all sprayed with that coloured
lacquer crap. Awful.
Tasty doesn't need to cost a lot, if the money is spent wisely.

This particular kitchen has a "designer" who is much in demand, and
despite that, and while I don't particularly care for a lot of the
details, I think it is going to come out just fine.

As with many designers, this one is wont to draw things that can't be
reasonably built. I ended up modeling the kitchen for the client and
many of the changes, from a practical aspect, were the result of that
modeling. Basically I was handed bare bones elevation sketches and the
implementation has been left up to me ... good thing I like a challenge,
but I do think the practicality of the kitchen's usage will benefit from
that mix of participation.

Besides, they're never _my_ kitchens ... something I try to keep
foremost in mind.

Besides, I can't afford one of mine ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 4:49*pm, Swingman wrote:
..

Besides, they're never _my_ kitchens ... something I try to keep
foremost in mind.

Besides, I can't afford one of mine ...

I know what that's about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

.

Besides, they're never _my_ kitchens ... something I try to keep
foremost in mind.

Some people's taste is all in their mouth. I'm sure glad I don't have
to live with some of the things I've built for folks. Configurations,
textures, paint color combos, etc.

Besides, I can't afford one of mine ...

I know what that's about.

Yeah, you guys made Mr. Festering rich instead. chortle

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Kitchen Remodel in2dadark Home Repair 10 November 9th 09 01:09 AM
Kitchen Remodel Project evodawg[_2_] Woodworking 7 September 28th 09 06:39 AM
Kitchen remodel mistake [email protected] Home Repair 16 July 25th 07 04:37 AM
Kitchen Remodel Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 11 October 30th 05 03:29 AM
Little Kitchen Remodel Gloating PHroGman Home Repair 1 January 10th 05 11:21 PM