Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default This Old Kitchen - Remodel Part 1 - Sausage Making

On 2/13/2011 11:01 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:04 pm, Larry
wrote:

I can't believe how much people will
spend on a kichen job. I really can't.

It's a reality that the margin in kitchen builds/remodels is a lot more
lucrative than most construction projects.

I have been in so many kitchens, I have lost count. As a result, I
have seen both ends of the scale.
I have seen stellar executions for under $10K and complete rubbish for
$80K.
One kitchen cost the guy $220.000 and I actually thought it was
brilliant. He spent a lot of money on restaurant grade equipment and
the finest of all granites and lots of it. It turned out beautiful, in
a Bentley sort of way. It was also very big, I'm guessing 30 x 40 ft.
Then, a few months ago, I was in a kitchen where the people spent $40K
on cabinets and it was absolutely disgusting. They could not have
squeezed more 'ornate bull**** flourishes' in, if they tried.
Mouldings on top of mouldings and all sprayed with that coloured
lacquer crap. Awful.
Tasty doesn't need to cost a lot, if the money is spent wisely.

This particular kitchen has a "designer" who is much in demand, and
despite that, and while I don't particularly care for a lot of the
details, I think it is going to come out just fine.

As with many designers, this one is wont to draw things that can't be
reasonably built. I ended up modeling the kitchen for the client and
many of the changes, from a practical aspect, were the result of that
modeling. Basically I was handed bare bones elevation sketches and the
implementation has been left up to me ... good thing I like a challenge,
but I do think the practicality of the kitchen's usage will benefit from
that mix of participation.

Besides, they're never _my_ kitchens ... something I try to keep
foremost in mind.

Besides, I can't afford one of mine ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net