Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Double Sided Tape measure

Saw something neat at Home Depot tonight. A double sided tape measure.
Not only were the measurements printed on both sides, but the hook at the
end was doubled sided as well. There are times when doing things
"backwards" is the easier way.

Oh, and it looks like Ridgid has a newish table saw out. Still not as good
as the 3650.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2011 11:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Saw something neat at Home Depot tonight. A double sided tape measure.
Not only were the measurements printed on both sides, but the hook at the
end was doubled sided as well. There are times when doing things
"backwards" is the easier way.

Did you buy one? Would be interesting to check its accuracy from side to
side.

Envisioning the manufacturing process (both sides being imprinted at the
same time?) it may well be identical (otherwise, it could cause nothing
but misery trying to get parts that would result in "square" if both
sides were used on the same project).

Finding two tape measures that agree has always been problematic IME,
but what I really want a shop tape measure to do is agree with the tape
on my table saw.

So far, Stanley 12' are the only ones I've found to be consistent in
that regard for my use.

If you spring for one, let us know how that works out.

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/4/2011 11:30 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Saw something neat at Home Depot tonight. A double sided tape
measure. Not only were the measurements printed on both sides, but
the hook at the end was doubled sided as well. There are times when
doing things "backwards" is the easier way.

Did you buy one? Would be interesting to check its accuracy from side
to side.

Envisioning the manufacturing process (both sides being imprinted at
the same time?) it may well be identical (otherwise, it could cause
nothing but misery trying to get parts that would result in "square"
if both sides were used on the same project).

*snip*

I didn't buy one. I didn't think to check both sides for consistency
until I posted the message. They were "Husky" brand and a 25' tape cost
$20.

They seemed to be more of a construction grade tool, where accuracy to
1/32" isn't that critical.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Puckdropper says...

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

FWIW, the Home Despot web site has two reviews on the 40 footer (they
don't list any others that I could find) and the only point on which
either chalked it was that they wanted more standout (they were getting
about 7 feet they said).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Swingman wrote:
Finding two tape measures that agree has always been problematic IME,
but what I really want a shop tape measure to do is agree with the tape
on my table saw.

Where I can, I like to use a steel rule rather than a tape of any sort.
They are usually pretty accurate.

Agreed but a 4' rule is sorta tought to use in the shop. ;~)

And to make matters worse most of mine have a coarse measurement in the
32'nds, when switching from a tape, 1/16" marks look like 1/8" marks. It
take ms a few momwnts to focus on the correct marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Finding two tape measures that agree has always been problematic IME,

Yep, it is always a problem because drop them once or twice and you
surely bend the tounge. I have a dozen tapes but try not to keep any
two of the same type. Then I just make sure I use the same tape for
the whole job. I also always calibrate my TS fence with a rule and
then when I double check my rips I can get a feel for how bad the tape
is and if it is over or under.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Finding two tape measures that agree has always been problematic IME,

Yep, it is always a problem because drop them once or twice and you
surely bend the tounge. I have a dozen tapes but try not to keep any
two of the same type. Then I just make sure I use the same tape for
the whole job. I also always calibrate my TS fence with a rule and
then when I double check my rips I can get a feel for how bad the tape
is and if it is over or under.

Yep ... a critical component of the holy grail of "square", along with
batch cutting parts, before moving a fence/reference edge.

I have two Lee Valley "right handed" tapes that agree to less than 1/64"
over the most usual working range for cabinetry (providing you make sure
the hook is held down securely while reading the opposite end, which
limits the guaranteed accuracy range accordingly to roughly two arm's
lengths).

That notwithstanding, this last job a couple of weeks back, when all the
hardwood drawer parts were batch cut (directly from a a CutList Plus
layout generated from an excel spreadsheet) in Leon's shop; and the
bottoms cut in mine (as well as the dovetails and dadoes in the
hardwood) each one of us took one of these LV tapes for measuring off
the cutlist, and the parts worked out spot on.

(I almost decided to cut the 1/2" maple ply drawer bottoms a bit heavy
in both dimensions just in case, but decided to tempt fate, and every
single one fit like a glove at final assembly).

These are the parts Leon batch cut off the cutlist, and the next four
pictures are the results in my shop:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...93202667379890

And, for some reason when cutting in my shop, I've yet to find a Stanley
12' that does not agree with my TS's tape ... a godsend.

I'll take what I can get, and I like the size of that size tape measure
.... anything over 12' for what I do in the shop is just too cumbersome.

Even better than tapes that agree, is any situation in which a story
stick lends itself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2011 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

These are the parts Leon batch cut off the cutlist, and the next four
pictures are the results in my shop:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...93202667379890

What the hell was your iPhone doing in West Bretton, UK??

Thought you moved to Katy, TX??

check out the "phone location" in the photo above

Damn iPhones ... no wonder they can't complete a call, they're lost,
very lost!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article cal,
says...

In article om,
Puckdropper says...

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

I looked at one in the store today--it looked like the markings on both
sides were pretty much in registration--there seemed to be some random
variation but it was at most about a line-width which I would estimate
at 1/128 or less (it wasn't a quarter of the smallest division anyway)
and it wasn't progressive--if you measure 6 feet on one side you'll get
six plus or minus about that amount on the other side, plus any
difference in the hook.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/5/2011 2:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

These are the parts Leon batch cut off the cutlist, and the next four
pictures are the results in my shop:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...93202667379890

What the hell was your iPhone doing in West Bretton, UK??

Thought you moved to Katy, TX??

check out the "phone location" in the photo above

Damn iPhones ... no wonder they can't complete a call, they're lost, very
lost!!

I actually flew there to take the pictures, better lighting.

LOL I mentioned that the first time you posted that pic a week or so back.
Go figger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

And, for some reason when cutting in my shop, I've yet to find a Stanley
12' that does not agree with my TS's tape ... a godsend.

-------------------
I have great affection for an old Stanley tape measure myself.

Yes, it is accurate. But more importantly, it protected me from a table saw
kickback. The piece that was kicked backed was quite sharp and would have
penetrated me like a spear. That old Stanley was on my belt and took the
brunt of the blow. It almost knocked me off my feet.

There is a big scar across the front of that old tape measure. And every
time I put it on my belt, I feel a little more protected. I know, I am
being superstitious. But I am also more aware of safety every time I put it
on. It is a constant reminder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 10:44*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Stuart" wrote in message

Where I can, I like to use a steel rule rather than a tape of any sort.
They are usually pretty accurate.

Agreed but a 4' rule is sorta tough to use in the shop. *;~)

And to make matters worse most of mine have a coarse measurement in the
32'nds, when switching from a tape, 1/16" marks look like 1/8" marks. *It
take me a few moments to focus on the correct marks.

Have you seen Fastcap's tape measures? They have some really nice
features and are surprisingly cheap.
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...?idCategory=12

The Story Pole tape has a white edge with no markings that can be
marked with a pencil and wiped off with a thumb. No need to read a
number off the tape while measuring and then read it again to mark
your layout.

The PMS (don't give this one to the wife) has both metric and standard
measurements and has a nifty auto-lock feature. You just pull out the
tape and it stays there - no need to engage a lock.

Both have an erasable notepad, a built-in pencil sharpener and a nice
belt clip that has a lever to relieve the tension so it won't fray the
edges of your pants or apron.

Best part - I bought one of each and got change back from a $20.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The point is simply use one for a job.
Front to back should be the same - machine made.

I have a different type - metric and Imperial both on top and left
and right sides.

Nice when I have to measure metric.

Martin

On 2/5/2011 7:55 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
message eb.com...

"Swingman" wrote

And, for some reason when cutting in my shop, I've yet to find a
Stanley 12' that does not agree with my TS's tape ... a godsend.

-------------------
I have great affection for an old Stanley tape measure myself.

Yes, it is accurate. But more importantly, it protected me from a
table saw kickback. The piece that was kicked backed was quite sharp
and would have penetrated me like a spear. That old Stanley was on
my belt and took the brunt of the blow. It almost knocked me off my
feet.

There is a big scar across the front of that old tape measure. And
every time I put it on my belt, I feel a little more protected. I
know, I am being superstitious. But I am also more aware of safety
every time I put it on. It is a constant reminder.

The Stanley FatMax tape measures with the wide tape that resists the
old kink-bend-and-fall
routine are nice.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 10:44 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Stuart" wrote in message

Where I can, I like to use a steel rule rather than a tape of any sort.
They are usually pretty accurate.

Agreed but a 4' rule is sorta tough to use in the shop. ;~)

And to make matters worse most of mine have a coarse measurement in the
32'nds, when switching from a tape, 1/16" marks look like 1/8" marks. It
take me a few moments to focus on the correct marks.

Have you seen Fastcap's tape measures? They have some really nice
features and are surprisingly cheap.
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...?idCategory=12

I actually have 5 Fastcap tape measures. Two have been cheerfully replaced
because of inaccuracy and ror stopped winding the tape back in the case. At
leas 2 have a problem with the hook not giving the same measurement when
compairing the inside vs outside measurement, off in excess of 1/32"

I have purchased the yellow Pro version, the Green Left/Right, and the White
flat tape. The green and white units have had to be repaced.

All in all I would say thes are great tape measures for rough carpentry of
for building fences. Not so great in the shop.

ALL have excelent pencil sharpeners however. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I find that the FatMax tapes tend to tip over when transfering a measurement
to the wood and you let go of the case. The tape is so stiff that when you
push the tape over to make the mark it tilts the case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

That could be a problem with a lot of tapes. I just keep the case near
the
marking point and tip the case. Steel rulers are fine for something
within their spans. When facing a measurement in a trapped area is
bigger than
one steel ruler, often putting another ruler side by side and sliding
it up the remaining distance helps to get an accurate figure.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 8:38*am, "Leon" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Have you seen Fastcap's tape measures? *They have some really nice
features and are surprisingly cheap.http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...?idCategory=12

I actually have 5 Fastcap tape measures. *Two have been cheerfully replaced
because of inaccuracy and ror stopped winding the tape back in the case. *At
leas 2 have a problem with the hook not giving the same measurement when
compairing the inside vs outside measurement, off in excess of 1/32"

I just checked both of mine, and the inside/outside measurements are
right on. If a tape is off between inside and outside measurements, I
usually just tweak the hook until the measurements agree.

I have purchased the yellow Pro version, the Green Left/Right, and the White
flat tape. * The green and white units have had to be repaced.

I bought the Story Pole because you can write on it. I find it easier
and at least as accurate to make pencil marks rather then trying to
read and remember numbers, and the white note area is also useful for
writing a note about the measurement.

I don't know what the differences are with the two you had to replace,
but I have the yellow and orange Pro ones. They have to be better,
right? It says Pro right on it.

All in all I would say thes are great tape measures for rough carpentry of
for building fences. *Not so great in the shop.

ALL have excelent pencil sharpeners however. *;~)

I broke my sharpener trying to get a square carpenter's pencil into
the round hole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

L:

That could be a problem with a lot of tapes. I just keep the case near the
marking point and tip the case.

Whick is OK if you are right handed, pulling or holding the tape with your
left hand, and marking with your right. I typically measure from left to
right and the puts the case on the wrong side. ;~( I do however try to buy
12' tapes for the shop, they tend to have a tape that is easier to push flat
with out upsetting the case too much.

Steel rulers are fine for something
within their spans. When facing a measurement in a trapped area is bigger
than
one steel ruler, often putting another ruler side by side and sliding
it up the remaining distance helps to get an accurate figure.

A little short cut here, and I do this with inside measurements with a tape
measure also, is to measure from one inside location to an even foot marking
and place a small pencil mark at the location on what I am measuring. You
you don't want to mark a wall or floor place a piece of tape down and put
the mark on the tape. Then measure from the opposite side to that mark and
add the 2 measurements. If you make you mark on an even foot measurement
you simply add full feet to your second measurement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

I'll be using the tape idea pronto.

Thanks,

Edward Hennessey

double sided tape C & E Woodworking 8 February 18th 07 02:33 AM
installing double-pane windows: double-sided tape separating from window or window-frame Frank Home Repair 1 May 31st 06 05:02 PM
Double sided tape Brian Reay UK diy 10 April 12th 06 10:50 PM
double sided tape? John Woodworking 20 June 13th 05 06:22 PM
Securing a Viyl Strip To Concrete Floor (use an industrial grade double sided adhesive tape, or...?) Robert11 Home Repair 2 February 25th 05 10:04 PM