Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography

Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Awesome! And a bit cringe inducing.

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kimosabe wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Yup - they've shown that before.
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Awesome! And a bit cringe inducing.

A bit? My wife and I were almost curled into balls on our chairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Awesome! And a bit cringe inducing.

A bit? My wife and I were almost curled into balls on our chairs.

Balls? I'm hoping mine drop back before my wife gets home from work!

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's so
great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I know.

In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true life
scenario. He did, I'm convinced.

Good video.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's
so
great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I
know.

In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true
life scenario. He did, I'm convinced.

That reminds me of the demo the guy that invented the ground fault
interrupter circuit was to said have done.

He grabbed one hot 120V wire, with the ground in a pool, and jumped in.

Balls, in both cases.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 8:41*am, Kimosabe wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Okay already...we know it works.
But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional
piece of equipment as a saw.
Right up there with General 650 etc.

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2011 7:06 AM, Robatoy wrote:

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

Yep!

Particularly if it didn't reach the blade to start with ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 7:06*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:41*am, Kimosabe wrote:

Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Okay already...we know it works.
But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional
piece of equipment as a saw.
Right up there with General 650 etc.

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

Kinda doubt if you will see that on Discovery! )

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

Ahh..., the "push stick" test.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 9:38*am, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

Ahh..., the "push stick" test.

====GUARD REMOVED FOR CLARITY====
..
..
..
..
Do NOT try this at home.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 8:06*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:41*am, Kimosabe wrote:

Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Okay already...we know it works.
But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional
piece of equipment as a saw.
Right up there with General 650 etc.

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

....and you'd want to see that video? Hmmm. And wouldn't a true
endorsement be in a true life situation? I don't know too many nudist
woodworkers. Sawdust gets in the pubes and other places that a dust
collector would refuse to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 10:46*am, RicodJour wrote:
*Sawdust gets in the pubes and other places that a dust
collector would refuse to go.

I don't want to know HOW you know that so intimately.
TMI
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 10:54*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 18, 10:46*am, RicodJour wrote:

*Sawdust gets in the pubes and other places that a dust
collector would refuse to go.

I don't want to know HOW you know that so intimately.
TMI

I went into one of those Nude Furniture stores while they were making
some furniture. I thought the nude had to do with furniture without a
finish on it - my mistake. =:O

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:51:45 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's so
great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I know.

In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true life
scenario. He did, I'm convinced.

Good video.

What I haven't seen yet is a real-life slip and a quick hand into the
whole blade. I'll bet it would do a whole lot more damage, albeit
saving most of the hand.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "SBH" wrote:

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's so
great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I know.

In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true life
scenario. He did, I'm convinced.

Ever read about the first public demonstration of the Otis Safety Elevator?

"By 1854, [Elisha] Otis was exhibiting a working model of his invention at the
Crystal Palace Exhibition in New York. When his rising platform reached the
top, 40 feet above the assembled crowds below, he had an assistant
dramatically cut the hoist rope and, like a good showman, bow to the gasps of
the onlookers when the elevator did not fall. The New York Tribune called the
demonstration "sensational" (labeling Otis, "Mr. Safety Elevator Man")."

http://www.tomsoter.com/node/176
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/11 11:08 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:51:45 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

I've seen the hotdog demonstration many times and often wondered "if it's so
great, why isn't anyone using their finger instead of a hotdog?" Now I know.

In order to instill faith in a product, it's creator must apply a true life
scenario. He did, I'm convinced.

Good video.

What I haven't seen yet is a real-life slip and a quick hand into the
whole blade. I'll bet it would do a whole lot more damage, albeit
saving most of the hand.

I bet it would be exactly the same.
They do the quick push with a hot dog and it doesn't even cut the casing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Awesome! And a bit cringe inducing.

A bit? My wife and I were almost curled into balls on our chairs.

Balls? I'm hoping mine drop back before my wife gets home from work!

Heh, it was agonizing to watch even with the Sawstop guy being really,
really careful not to risk serious injury even if his product had
malfunctioned. Some things just go against every instinct.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A side note: The pinky and ring finger carpal bones are flexible
within the hand, allowing for those fingers to best grasp and hold
objects.... pretty important tasks for those fingers. The thumb and
forefinger (and the middle finger) carpal bones are ridgid, within the
hand, and are most used to manipulate objects, also pretty important
tasks. The middle finger is "least important" for grasping and/or
manipulating objects. He "sacrifice" his least important finger on
his left hand. I'll bet he's right handed, too. I wouldn't think the
camera's being on the right side was coincidence, either.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 7:41*am, Kimosabe wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

I have seen that several times and knew the outcome. But it is still
hard to watch again.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-01-18 09:35:03 -0500, Swingman said:

Particularly if it didn't reach the blade to start with ....

The punch line is "Cold -- and deep!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:48:52 -0500, Steve

On 2011-01-18 09:35:03 -0500, Swingman said:

Particularly if it didn't reach the blade to start with ....

The punch line is "Cold -- and deep!"

g That's a proper river, Cowboy.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-01-18 09:35:03 -0500, Swingman said:

Particularly if it didn't reach the blade to start with ....

The punch line is "Cold -- and deep!"

LOL ... someone finally got it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 4:46*pm, Sonny wrote:

A side note: *The pinky and ring finger carpal bones are flexible
within the hand, allowing for those fingers to best grasp and hold
objects.... pretty important tasks for those fingers. *The thumb and
forefinger (and the middle finger) carpal bones are ridgid, within the
hand, and are most used to manipulate objects, also pretty important
tasks. *The middle finger is "least important" for grasping and/or
manipulating objects. *He "sacrifice" his least important finger on
his left hand. *I'll bet he's right handed, too. *I wouldn't think the
camera's being on the right side was coincidence, either.

If nothing else (and there really is nothing else) losing the middle
finger would at least give you and others a standing joke to work
with.
"What was the toughest part about losing your middle finger?"
"Learning to drive again."

Interesting observation, though. Which finger would someone pick to
lose if they had to lose one? I'm guessing pretty much everyone would
pick the pinky.*

* Good grief - my spellchecker just flagged pinky.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting observation, though. *Which finger would someone pick to
lose if they had to lose one? *I'm guessing pretty much everyone would
pick the pinky.*

* *Good grief - my spellchecker just flagged pinky.

The (pinky, pinkie?) 5th carpal digit is the strongest grasping
finger. Grab your (opposite) thumb and squeeze with each 5th, 4th and
3rd digit, individually, and see which applies the most force. The
pinky is a keeper, even for your lesser dominant hand.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 8:41*am, Kimosabe wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

If you watch closely, not much was at risk. He approached with the
tip of his finger. Worst that could happen would be a cut, not
severance of the finger. He also touched the side of the blade, not
the tip. That demo was a trick.

Steve Tahan.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/19/2011 10:34 AM, SteveT wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:41 am, wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

If you watch closely, not much was at risk. He approached with the
tip of his finger. Worst that could happen would be a cut, not
severance of the finger. He also touched the side of the blade, not
the tip. That demo was a trick.

So you're man enough to have just stuck your finger right on in there, eh? He went farther
than I would have been able to go.

Surely by now we have some real-world accounts of how the Saw-Stop has saved somebody from
serious harm? Or do we only have demos to reassure us?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
That demo was a trick.

OK, it is an electrical circut completion that triggers the safety
brake right?

What if you have no contact with the table top but just the blade?
Notice his hand is resting on the table top.
What if you are using a wooden sled? Does it stil work?
What if you are standing on a rubber mat?

Just wondering.

OK, somewhere I saved one of the Patents...ah, here's the pertinent
section from the Disclosure section--

"The detection subsystem includes a sensor assembly, such as contact
detection plates 44 and 46 , capacitively coupled to blade 40 to
detect any contact between the user's body and the blade. Typically, the
blade, or some larger portion of cutting tool 14 is electrically
isolated from the remainder of miter saw 10 . Alternatively, detection
subsystem 22 may include a different sensor assembly configured to
detect contact in other ways, such as optically, resistively, etc. In
any event, the detection subsystem is adapted to transmit a signal to
control subsystem 26 when contact between the user and the blade is
detected. ..."

AFAIK, the only ones on the market use the capacitively-coupled
embodiment rather than resistive or optical.

Primarily the physical causative factor of the body capacitance
instigating trip is owing to the water content of flesh; one of the
features of the saw (at least initially, I presume still is altho I've
not looked at one in detail since shortly after initial introduction) is
a bypass switch so it won't be triggered falsely when cutting, say,
construction treated tubafores or similar that are wet. Of course,
using that is a conundrum since it prevents a real trip if one were
required as well...

That's probably more than I know...

I _think_ all are based on passive capacitance change as somebody else
similar to the lamp switch effect. There are active capacitative
proximity sensors, but they're measuring a field change.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with the safety aspect and would buy one also.

I don't agree with the capacitive sensing though, no matter what they claim.

The capacity of a plastic cased weiner is a lot lower than a 3/4" sheet of
damo fir plywood ebing held by a human on a huge mass grounded steel table.
Somebody is protecting their non-patent with some BS.

I had originally heard it was moisture but the demo sort of disproves that
also.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
That demo was a trick.

OK, it is an electrical circut completion that triggers the safety
brake right?

What if you have no contact with the table top but just the blade?
Notice his hand is resting on the table top.
What if you are using a wooden sled? Does it stil work?
What if you are standing on a rubber mat?

Just wondering.

All that said, I too am pretty sure next new TS purchase would have to
be a sawstop, especially if I go into a business situation where I am
asking\hiring others to run the tool. Fortunately I don't thnk anyone
is making a saw any better. The commercial Sawstaop is a beautiful
fricking saw, brake or not. Not worth an extra grand on it's own but
the brake feature is worth a finger, a new blade and hunk of aluminum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ROFLMAO

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Yes, it fricking works. I still want them to hire the guys from
Jackass to do it with a really important body part...

Right, Solomon, they should have tried cutting a baby in half.

There was no trick. There also was no stupidity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 3:51Â*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
I agree with the safety aspect and would buy one also.

I don't agree with the capacitive sensing though, no matter what they claim.

The capacity of a plastic cased weiner is a lot lower than a 3/4" sheet of
damo fir plywood ebing held by a human on a huge mass grounded steel table.
Somebody is protecting their non-patent with some BS.

I had originally heard it was moisture but the demo sort of disproves that
also.

Well, I'm not sure about plywood 'ebing', what things other than
humans operate machinery on this planet, or the capacity of a weiner
(sheesh), but the word is:
capacitance (kəˈpæsɪtəns) -n
1. the property of a system that enables it to store electric charge
2. a measure of this, equal to the charge that must be added to such
a system to raise its electrical potential by one unit

Were you asleep that day in the third grade when they made a potato
battery?

You don't know the word, you don't know they got it patented, but I do
know you are dangerous with a keyboard. You assault people's
intelligence on a daily basis with it. Put it down and step away.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/19/2011 01:18 PM, dpb wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

What if you're a dried up old fart?

one of the
features of the saw (at least initially, I presume still is altho I've
not looked at one in detail since shortly after initial introduction) is
a bypass switch so it won't be triggered falsely when cutting, say,
construction treated tubafores or similar that are wet. Of course, using
that is a conundrum since it prevents a real trip if one were required
as well...

That's probably more than I know...

I _think_ all are based on passive capacitance change as somebody else
similar to the lamp switch effect. There are active capacitative
proximity sensors, but they're measuring a field change.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Right, Solomon, they should have tried cutting a baby in half.

There was no trick. There also was no stupidity.

Yes, it fricking works. I still want them to hire the guys from
Jackass to do it with a really important body part...

Probably not dangerous enough. Or stupid enough.

Those guys from Jackass are stoooopid!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2011 3:23 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

What if you're a dried up old fart?

Don't buy an iPad, or other touch screen device ... ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/19/2011 04:52 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/19/2011 3:23 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

What if you're a dried up old fart?

Don't buy an iPad, or other touch screen device ... ;)

No wonder I can't make the damn things work...
Posted to rec.woodworking

....and very rich

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

Those guys from Jackass are stoooopid!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:48:00 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Right, Solomon, they should have tried cutting a baby in half.

There was no trick. There also was no stupidity.

Yes, it fricking works. I still want them to hire the guys from
Jackass to do it with a really important body part...

Probably not dangerous enough. Or stupid enough.

Those guys from Jackass are stoooopid!

Are you guys talking about some fascinating teevee type personalities?
One of the 500 channels of pure, unadulterated pestilence, 7/24/365?

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Right, Solomon, they should have tried cutting a baby in half.

There was no trick. There also was no stupidity.

Yes, it fricking works. I still want them to hire the guys from
Jackass to do it with a really important body part...

Probably not dangerous enough. Or stupid enough.

Those guys from Jackass are stoooopid!

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger, he soaks
in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a dry
finger.